cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please create emergency data plans for Coronavirus

toronto12323
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I'm a student on tight budget, so I opted to use my data instead of purchasing home internet. I'm just careful with it, and it usually lasts. I have 8,5 Gig. 

However, my school is closed, so I cannot use its internet. I'm afraid I'll run out and won't be able to complete my online exams,

I don't know how to reach any customer representative for this company (?) 

Some people need to be able to purchase data internet at reasonable prices, now that we're stuck at home. Please enable me to buy another 8.5 Gigs for $50 before my plan renews. $30 for 1Gig is price couging--not appropriate for such emergency.

21 REPLIES 21

@karenob  Seeing as were stuck at home you would be better off looking at home WiFi. There are lots of smaller home internet companies offering 60gb for $30 per month. Try googling the options in your area.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@karenob wrote:

I agree.   I just returned to Canada from EU and following the self isolation policies.  I am in country with no internet access relying on cellular data.    I never cancelled my plan since out of country since January.  Put SIM card back in phone Mar 18.   Since then I’ve  used up my regular 40 plan.  Added data add on, then changed plan to $50 to get more gb.      

not planning to renew when used up.    The large service providers have opened up unlimited data during this time and I would have expected Public, part of Telus, to offer same

You came here for the rates. The top tier providers charge much more which can enable them to absorb things like that. I don't see mention of data freebies on Chatr or Lucky.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The only cellphone company to give any data away as of today is Freedom Mobile.  See the article in this link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Freedom-Mobile-giving-2G-data-during-Co...

All the other companies have done is open up mobile hotspots and remove internet caps.

karenob

I agree.   I just returned to Canada from EU and following the self isolation policies.  I am in country with no internet access relying on cellular data.    I never cancelled my plan since out of country since January.  Put SIM card back in phone Mar 18.   Since then I’ve  used up my regular 40 plan.  Added data add on, then changed plan to $50 to get more gb.      

not planning to renew when used up.    The large service providers have opened up unlimited data during this time and I would have expected Public, part of Telus, to offer same

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't know if this will help you, but Shaw is opening its hotspots to everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/shaw-wifi-free-1.5498349

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@toronto12323 Hi, what you need is just a temporary solution. There is a plan provided by Speakout (using Rogers' network) of $25. You have 3 GB of data (up to May 5, 2020). 

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promotions/ 

You can buy $35 voucher from 7-Eleven store; (you will have a free SIM under their promotion). You can set up a new account and not to use any plan until you need to use more data during your exam (of course, you have to set it up before May 5). It is a prepaid phone, if you don't have enough money to be charged in your account, you just don't have the service provided under the plan. You can change from a monthly plan to be charged by usage. 

You just pay $35+applicable taxes up front if you have a Dual-SIM phone. Hope that it helps you situation. Good luck to your exam!

👍👍 @darlicious it's actually a better deal than mine right now. I agree with you.

@gblackma  Indeed @toronto12323 would have to sign up for one year but since he's paying $50 per month to make up for not having home internet and willing to pay an extra $50 to renew early by downgrading to the $40 5gb plan he would saving $120 per year and the extra renewal charge. This would basically pay for his home internet for the year and gain 55gb  of wifi data a month.

@darlicious answer would be an example of WiFi. Its basically buying home internet and using it on your laptop, or on you phone by using your WiFi password. Some companies have you sign up for a certain term. Ie 12 months. And others, no term.

@toronto12323 

A better option would be home internet from distributel starting at $9.95 and then $14.95 per month after 4 months for up to 60gb per month. 1 year would be about $160. Do you have any roommates or neighbours that you can split the bill with?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak 

I said YMMV.  

It does not hurt to ask.  What if PM gives @toronto12323 a free renewal.  

Hi @toronto12323 

Early renew would be switching to a plan immediately, but switching to your own plan.

Unfortunately you cannot do it from your selfserve, but you must contact moderators. Then you would keep going 30 days from that date.

You can also buy internet temporarily. Many parts of Toronto have WiFi service, so you don't need modem or line in

@popping 

They are cancelling overage charges, but we don't have any 

toronto12323

Thank you for your help. I didn't know about early renew. 

However, what is 'no-term WiFi'?

@toronto12323 

Do you have access to any internet close to you? 1.5 gigs is a lot to lose, you sound contact them when you get very low so that you really spend you$50 to  almost the last cent. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @toronto12323 

You can do that, just contact moderators when you get low and they can renew you early, no problem at all. Make sure that all your reward are applied after 24 hours, if not contact them again

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

popping

@toronto12323 

Are you try to get Telus to honor this news item?

https://www.ottawamatters.com/national-business/telecom-companies-temporarily-remove-internet-data-c...

I am not sure that will apply to PM since this not a landline internet service  YMMV

Create a moderator support ticket to find out whether this includes PM.

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@toronto12323 wrote:

Hello,

I'm a student on tight budget, so I opted to use my data instead of purchasing home internet. I'm just careful with it, and it usually lasts. I have 8,5 Gig. 

However, my school is closed, so I cannot use its internet. I'm afraid I'll run out and won't be able to complete my online exams,

I don't know how to reach any customer representative for this company (?) 

Some people need to be able to purchase data internet at reasonable prices, now that we're stuck at home. Please enable me to buy another 8.5 Gigs for $50 before my plan renews. $30 for 1Gig is price couging--not appropriate for such emergency.

Hello @toronto12323

I can sympathize but I’d like to suggest that you also message Toronto Mayor Tory and your Councillor. Covid-19 is only one situation but on a daily basis a great number of citizens are directed to go to the internet to find information, download forms, pay bills, take a course, etc. I think that this should not only sit on the shoulders of companies but instead, city official should find a way of making internet affordable for everyone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can change to your renew plan early using self-serve online before your renewal date.

Please note that there is no refund of the unused days of your current plan.

mimmo

@toronto12323 as mentioned do the early renewal. Be warned though the renewal cancels whatever you have left in your plan. So if you renew at 1.5gb you will lose that when mods renew your plan.

Another option could be to buy a new Sim card and new plan. When data runs out swap sims. But this means you will not receive calls and sms unless you have a spare phone

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

This is a hands on type of place @toronto12323 . Moniter your data and when it's down to  1.5 gigs, manually place the $50 into your self service account (using the one time payment option), and contact the moderators and ask them to renew your plan early. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen. This connects to the autobot Simon. Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket). Or contact them directly using this link.   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It may take between 24 to 48 hours for the moderators to get back to you. Have you thought about getting no term WiFi for this period?

Need Help? Let's chat.