cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please bring back a US/Can plan or provide more options for US roaming

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Snowbird season is upon us!  Please make available a plan that offers services in both US and Canada.  Or give us more roaming add-on options:  perhaps a 30/60/90-day roaming option or an option allowing the 10-day roaming add-on to automatically renew!

RoamMobility is an option but I think everyone would prefer not having to change their number, so even at a slight higher cost, existing PM customers would pick PM over RoamMobility or other lower cost options.

9 REPLIES 9

@Maiden  You can achieve having an active plan and phone number with public mobile by having the $15 plan with unlimited texts, incoming calling and 100 minutes of outgoing. You can set up your voicemail for extended absence  and leave a message with your US number to call. Set up on autopay it will be $13 a month. When you come back you can change your plan back to whatever works for you. To my understanding you can still recieve incoming text messages on your pm phone while down south. You can also get a Canadian phone number with an app like text now to use on WiFi for free calling and texting. But keeping advocating for the return of the $60 US plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maiden 

Get a Canadian voip account from somewhere like fongo or textnow. Forward your cell # to that #. Get a US service. I had success with H2O pure prepaid. Forward your voip # to this #. That way you also have a local number where you are. You wouldn't really need your "home phone number" there.

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So I'm a snowbird and got fed up with having to renew my $15 plan every 10 days. If I had data that would have been $20 every 10 days so I dumped the data, only using the wifi at hoe here, so I only had talk and text for the last month.

So lets figure this out shall we? My regular plan in Canada that needs to be active in order to use my phone is approx. $70/month. Now add the $45 a month it costs for the US roaming plan and it would cost me $115 every month to use my phone in the U.S. Its gets ridiculous.

I let it run out a couple days ago. 

My solution was to keep my Canadian PM account active but change my voicemail to give out my home phone number down south so if anyone needs to get in touch with me they can, if I'm home. That too is ridiculous. No data, no texting, no calling on my cell phone. I refuse to pay the extra $45/month to PM.

At least with the 'big 3' your phone works all the time. 

vn33
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree that if I have a choice to keep my current number, or get a US number (say, through Roammobility), I would prefer to keep my CA number. However, unless the PM "Snow Bird" plan offer a comparable data offering, I would go with whatever plan that will give me better value. US roaming data is a precious commodity for us Canadians, and as a value-conscious consumer, I will choose whichever plan that give me more, for less.

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@darlicious Good idea, I've copied this content and pasted as a reply to Dave's letter.  Thanks.

@chad2001  Yes I totally agree with you and it's unfortunate that the US roaming plan was discontinued but they may offer it again for a limited time only and this time around most customers might choose to keep it year round knowing they could lose it at any time. More importantly post a response wth your request under the letter from Dave as he is asking for feedback from customers on how to move forward in 2020. The more responses from users wanting more roaming options for the US the more likely public mobile will choose to offer them.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The PM US roaming plan was offered as limited time only.  I think PM wants people to get it and keep it for all year around for people who travel to US all year round - NOT just for the winter months.

While it's not something I need, I can see how such an option could be particularly useful for some people.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@chad2001  I agree a 90 day US roaming add-on for snowbirds would be a popular offering no doubt.

Need Help? Let's chat.