cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan

dowite96
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi 

I am freedom mobile customer have 2 lines in one account and paying bill for 2 lines 59.72 $ every months and haning 5 gb data plus canada wide talk

I saw you have 40$ plan but data 1.5 gb, if I will switch to public can I get same price with same data with public?

11 REPLIES 11

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, I believe @slash407 did.  @srlawren was just pointing out how good the discounts are, that slah was trying to say didn't get offered at Koodo.

Thank you I know. I was adding that the post was unrelated to the thread.

I know that srlawren was just try to give an opinion in response to what slash407 brought up about Koodo.  I know that threads do sometimes go off-topic, and we've probably all said something before in a thread that wasn't related to the question asked.  I'm sure that it's very rarely intentional.

@dowite96 wrote:

Hi 

I am freedom mobile customer have 2 lines in one account and paying bill for 2 lines 59.72 $ every months and haning 5 gb data plus canada wide talk

I saw you have 40$ plan but data 1.5 gb, if I will switch to public can I get same price with same data with public?

I would say that Public Mobile plans line up fairly well with Freedom Mobile plans, except that Public's plans include of 3g-type data at those prices.  For 5GB of LTE data, calling, and texting, Freedom Mobile would be less expensive.  If you're okay with slower theoretic maximum speeds of Public Mobile 3g plans compared to Freedom's LTE, Public Mobile has a much better network which increases reliability.

@slash407 wrote:

im pretty sure, PM offers lower price plans, overall. With the discounts and everything. Honestly i dont see whats the appeal with koodo. They dont even give u a real discount on a phone and lock u in for years, putting u on a tab.

This really depends on when and where you sign up, and also which phone you pick, if you take one.

You can get some fantastic deals at Koodo, as well as any carrier.  This doesn't mean that all "deals" are good, but just that they exist.

Especially if you are okay with last year's model or whatnot, a carrier such as Koodo will often offer something like an LG G6 or a Samsung A8 (2018) on a $10 Tab.  But then, either the Koodo website will sometimes give you a $100 prepaid credit card for free, while some retailers will sometimes offer a $200 store gift card or prepaid credit card.  You can't argue with paying that little for a phone.

I do realize that plan prices are often higher at Koodo, or offer less data that someone like Public Mobile at a certain price point.  But, try to factor in what you would have otherwise paid for that phone and you can kind of  look of it as anything you saved as part of the plan fees you'll be paying over 24 months.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, I believe @slash407 did.  @srlawren was just pointing out how good the discounts are, that slah was trying to say didn't get offered at Koodo.

Thank you I know. I was adding that the post was unrelated to the thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

Honestly i dont see whats the appeal with koodo. They dont even give u a real discount on a phone and lock u in for years, putting u on a tab.

@slash407 once again sadly incorrect.  Many tab purchases on Koodo include an activation credit which reduces the overall cost of the phone (sometimes to a large extent, sometimes less so, and sometimes not at all) when purchased on a tab vs. buying it outright.  And, you're not actually "locked in".  The tab works like a monthly installment plan for 24 months toward some (or all, for some less expensive phones) of the cost of the phone; however, you can terminate your service at any time--you will be billed for the outstanding tab balance if you do so. 

And who said anything about Koodo?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

Honestly i dont see whats the appeal with koodo. They dont even give u a real discount on a phone and lock u in for years, putting u on a tab.

@slash407 once again sadly incorrect.  Many tab purchases on Koodo include an activation credit which reduces the overall cost of the phone (sometimes to a large extent, sometimes less so, and sometimes not at all) when purchased on a tab vs. buying it outright.  And, you're not actually "locked in".  The tab works like a monthly installment plan for 24 months toward some (or all, for some less expensive phones) of the cost of the phone; however, you can terminate your service at any time--you will be billed for the outstanding tab balance if you do so. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

If you are not in a hurry you can wait and see if a new promotion will come @dowite96..Stay on alert on the first page with Annoucements....good luck...And you will have rewards with PM..2$ for auto pay per month...participating in the forum you can have 5 or 10 or 20$ per month...if you refer someone you have 1$ per month..2 for 2$...etc ...Think about it and count your $..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dowite96 wrote:

Hi 

I'll interpret what you're saying as $30 all-in per line. That's tough to beat. Public Mobile is one account/one SIM. Then you'll need to assess your coverage and reception needs. Freedom is useless to me in my area other than roaming on Rogers which is not great in my area either.

But I don't think Public Mobile will deal one-on-one with individual competitive responses.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@dowite96 wrote:

Hi 

@dowite96, if you don't see a plan that you like you can also go into plan builder.  The big thing with PM is that each phone is it's own account and own plan there is no sharing of data.  You can pay both accounts with the same credit card though.  Do both phones share the data equally or is one a larger data user?  Could one of the phones be on a smaller data bucket.  You should really visit https://www.publicmobile.ca/plans and see if there is a prebuilt that you like or build one yourself.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@dowite96 wrote:

Hi 

@dowite96

To get a fast reply , you should post this kind of stuff in the "Plans & add-ons" subforum (or, for other questions in the according section). @stonechucker, @ShawnC13, @NDesai can one of you move this, please?

As for your inquiry:

Actually, Public Mobile's $40 plan is 4.5GB + 500MB bonus if you sign up for auto pay, so $38 for 5GB (Canada wide calling). Or $48 for 8.5GB (calls to Canada and the US).

These numbers are for auto pay (your credit card on file and auto pay enabled) and "3G" (aka LTE light) plans, ie data is delivered over LTE with the according latency but at throttled speed (around 3Mbps). For most people that is good enough for all common applications on their phone (unless you are streaming HD videos or gaming). I personally, where I am and how I use the phone data, can't tell the difference between 3G speed and full LTE.

Unless it's a promo labelled as "competitive response" there is no price matching at Public Mobile. Public Mobile doesn't have a retention department, so what you see on the plans page is what you get.

You are also comparing apples and oranges if you look at the Freedom vs the Public Mobile (= full Telus) network.

Edited to add: You will also need a separate account with their own e-mail address (aliases work) for each phone number, and Public Mobile doesn't have shared plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.