cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan swap confusion

eutychus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I decided to check out how plans might have changed. (I've been with Public for a couple of years.) And it seems like I'm getting shafted on my old plan. As best as I can tell I'm paying $10/month more than the same plan with Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes instead of Unlimited Province Minutes. However, I am skeptical I'm missing something, and the plan comparison suggests I'll have to pay more if I switch? This makes no sense. Here is the screenshot of the plan comparison. Help!Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 1.24.24 PM.png

17 REPLIES 17

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, @eutychus 

Add that to the other screenshot on your initial post with the plan change picture comparison.

Ya can't ever be too careful!!!   (though i'm guessing this thread alone might be sufficient...) 😉

@eutychus wrote:

No, data is rarely an issue for me. I live on a remote island and I am almost always on my wifi, so I never go over my data limits. I was paying every third month simply because it was a couple of bucks cheaper and meant I only had to record my phone payments in my books every third month instead of monthly.

Thanks, everyone who responded. I've changed my plan, although the new plan won't kick in for another 60 days because I'm already paid up until May 15 on my old plan. 

Hopefully there won't be any hidden surprises of the bad kind when the switch occurs, or I'll find out that plan I've switched to isn't available anymore. Hopefully I'm locked in. 

@eutychus  Wise choice.

I recommend taking a screen shot of your upcoming "change of plan". If anything goes "off the rails" submit a ticket to the Public Mobile Moderators and provide the screen-shot of the plan your were going to change to. They should stick to that agreement.

@eutychus wrote:

No, data is rarely an issue for me. I live on a remote island and I am almost always on my wifi, so I never go over my data limits. I was paying every third month simply because it was a couple of bucks cheaper and meant I only had to record my phone payments in my books every third month instead of monthly.

Thanks, everyone who responded. I've changed my plan, although the new plan won't kick in for another 60 days because I'm already paid up until May 15 on my old plan. 

Hopefully there won't be any hidden surprises of the bad kind when the switch occurs, or I'll find out that plan I've switched to isn't available anymore. Hopefully I'm locked in. 

The message that says that you needed to make a payment doesn't have anything to do with the plan being any more or less expensive.  That message is simply telling you that to have the change performed immediately, you would need to make a payment because you don't have $25 of balance in your Public Mobile account.  Withouit $25 alraedy in the account, the system won't allow you to perform that type of change.

Scheduling your change for May 15th was a good move as if you had told the system to perform the change immeidately, you would have lost the remainder of time (and the money) that you for the plan that you already paid $105 for.

@eutychus I suggest adding another $105 as 'available funds' in your account. many users with 90 day plans tried to change to 30 days and failed. 

amount due-01~3.jpeg

@eutychus 

Your curiousity came at a good time....just as pm is enacting plan price increases for the first time in years whereas previous to February 16th almost all plan changes by pm increased their value and often decreased their price. After a hard lesson learned in 2018 when pm tried to increase plan prices and a near revolt occurred pm has almost always given sufficient notice of plan eliminations, price changes, feature changes and has grandfathered plan prices for account holders as long as they do not change their plan once the expiration/deadline has past. Additionally they allow for plan changes to be scheduled to occur on the next renewal locking in a plan price/features after the deadline has past.

Just to be safe I suggest periodically checking on your scheduled plan change up until your renewal  to make sure nothing changes. Also if you check in to the community on a regular basis you will be kept up to date on changes at pm on plans, promotions, account features, contests and even free goodies pm gives away like the "more the merrier" international long distance and data add ons given the past two Christmas seasons.

eutychus

Perfect. Thanks.

@eutychus 

If you set a plan change to occur on the next renewal, you will get it even if the plan offer is not available to others at the time of your next renewal. 

I specifically asked the moderators that a few weeks ago when making a similar determination.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eutychus wrote:

Hopefully I'm locked in. 

Past practice says you will be. As long as you see it scheduled under Plan Details.

Some people liked the old 90 day plans to be able to stretch out that data bucket for those 90 days rather than the quick 30 day turn around.

eutychus

TheGx

@eutychus :So if you going to use autopay and don't mind losing the convenience of using 3GB over 3 month compared to 1GB per month, by changing to new plan you'll add free Canada wide calling and save $10 per month.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@eutychus 

You're receiving less value on the old plan vs the one you've selected.

I'd probably move while the Canada-Wide plan is priced at $25/month for the 1 GB.  It's going to be at $30/month soon.

Keep in mind, in order to get that, you need auto-pay enabled, otherwise it's 0.5 GB.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@eutychus wrote:

Hi there,

I decided to check out how plans might have changed. (I've been with Public for a couple of years.) And it seems like I'm getting shafted on my old plan. As best as I can tell I'm paying $10/month more than the same plan with Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes instead of Unlimited Province Minutes. However, I am skeptical I'm missing something, and the plan comparison suggests I'll have to pay more if I switch? This makes no sense. Here is the screenshot of the plan comparison. Help!Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 1.24.24 PM.png

@eutychus yup, looking at your screen shot it does look like you could save $10 / month (well 30 per days) if you switched.

I wouldn't really say you were shafted. Unfortunately, companies do not normally notify the customer when there are less expensive plans to switch to. It is mostly up to the customer to investigate or shop around.

So, having said that, why not switch? You keep all your rewards as they should follow you.

The unlimited Canada calling is supposed to be for a limited time only at $25. Not sure when (if) that change is going to go to Provincial only at $25.

eutychus

Ok, thanks. It's just unusual that a new plan is cheaper. Cell companies are criminal enterprises designed to confuse and deceive customers... so I'm skeptical I'll actually save money by switching!

TheGx

@eutychus :Another difference is that the 3GB is over 3 months, whereas the new plan monthly GB resets each month.

You should change to new plan for sure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eutychus : Yup. You're at $35/30 days for only provincial. Yes indeed if you went to the $25 you would add Canada-wide.

As you can see...plans are grandfathered. You have to seek to change it if you wish. They're not just going to change it on you.

Edit: If you like your money, be sure to set it to change at your next renewal. There are no pro-rated refunds here.

TheGx

@eutychus :Whoops, you are right, new plan is same GB with autopay.

TheGx

@eutychus :Your old plan has 3GB, whereas the new plan is just 1GB or 0.5 GB without autoplay.

Need Help? Let's chat.