cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan renewal data issue

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So my plan renewed overnight as usual however I just noticed it already shows 600MB on new cycle which is not right. I decided to use some data on a video chat last night around 9PM PST because still had a ton of data left.

Does this mean all PM customers are forced on Toronto aka "Centre of the universe" time?

@CS_Agent I would like my data usage reset on new cycle.

21 REPLIES 21

@Heatherroberts

That is what the knowledge center (prepared by moderators) mentioned for their suggestions.... Not sure why exacted LG has that potential issue.  

I know that with iphones, you can make a backup of the phone contents on the computer.  Can you backup onto computer with LG phones?

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Heatherroberts couldn't you just back up your phone before doing the factory reset?

Heatherroberts
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I do have a lg g5  I've done every thing but factory reset .. I have way to much to lose if I have to reset it  also why would that change anything never had that issue with other carriers in the past 

@Heatherroberts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  

Have you re-started your phone?  

Rechecked the APN settings with by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile.

If you have a LG phone, you might need to factory reset of your phone.  

Heatherroberts

I just purchased the 4.5 gig data plan but the data wont work on my phone   ..  I did what online said about how to go into settings and switch all the stuff to make it work and saved the changes and still nothing  plz help

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jorozco are you on a 3G data plan? If so, there is a glitch affecting at least some accounts that prevent the data from resetting during the renewal. Please use the link @Jorno provided to private message the moderator team. Include your phone number and ask them to please manually reset your data usage. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jorozco, if your service still works (ie. able to place calls, send/receive text, use data), the system should eventually update your account to show that your plan has renewed.

If your service no longer works, or stops working, contact the Moderator Team for assistance.  In case you don't know, click here for information on how to contact moderators.

jorozco

I am also having this issue, I was sent a text that my plan was renewed but when I went ot my account my data has still not renewed along with the rest of my plan. Who can I reach out to for this, also this whole forum way to fix issues will my plan sucks. If this issue can not be renewed can I get a refund?

@Johnnycash10 wrote:

I have similar issues regarding the renewal date and time.  My billing cycle is October 1-Oct 31.  I am going to change my plan. When and at what time should I change my plan - on Oct 31 or Nov 1.  I am in Ontario.

@Johnnycash10

I would future date the plan change now so that the system takes care of it on renewal.

If you want to do everything possible to avoid the random auto pay glitch some people are encountering right now, top up the required amount manually today or tomorrow. (Make sure to leave auto pay on to get the rewards!)

Johnnycash10

I have similar issues regarding the renewal date and time.  My billing cycle is October 1-Oct 31.  I am going to change my plan. When and at what time should I change my plan - on Oct 31 or Nov 1.  I am in Ontario.

Jorno
@srlawren wrote:

@Jorno it's not an exact time every time.  It's at some point during the overnight processing.  It might be a few mins later one month than the last and a few mins earlier the next month after that and so on.  Do you really need to know the exact minute it's going to happen?  You can't just go to bed the one day and wake up the next day to a freshly renewed plan?

@srlawren, thank you for joining the discussion.  I will do my best to address your questions.

Do I really need to know the exact minute a plan renewal is going to happen?  No, of course not; however, I re-read my post and see how my use of "time" could cause ambiguity so allow me to restate for clarification.

I find no mention in official documents of what time of day plans reset or renew.  Posts made within the community surmise, and appear to support, that the time of day plans reset or renew is at midnight.  With no clear reference to time zones, it is understandable that customers believe a plan resets and renews at midnight local time.

If the truth is that the renewal process begins at midnight Eastern Time, a statement of such could prevent future confusion and frustration.

In regard to your second question, as I have experienced one failed and one successful plan renewal, it remains unclear if I can "just go to bed the one day and wake up the next day to a freshly renewed plan".

canucks4life

Yeah well it won't happen again on this end for sure...

Thanks @MarieHelene_L for finally getting back to me.

srlawren

@canucks4life the reason this type of process happens during an overnight is because most people are sleeping.  Honestly these processes are not an exact science, and the duration it's going to run is going to change day to day depending on a number of variables, probably most importantly: the number of accounts to try to renew that night.  I just don't think it's reasonable to ask PM to nail down a specific time.  It would be great if they could even start them in regional batches based on, say, midnight in the customer's home region.  But then doing so might push out the end time to a point where it's starting to interfere with people waking up in the far east (Atlantic Canada, say) while the system is still bogged down renewaing accounts from, say, Pacific Canada.  I think we have to expect that there's going to be some variability in the timing, and that it's going to start at a time that's somewhere near midnight in the most populus time zone, but that we can't rely on a specific timing.

Not to be flippant back, but saving up and then trying to binge-use your remaining data at the finish line may not be the best strategy. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canucks4life

@srlawren wrote:

@canucks4life are we though?  I mean, it keeps being 9PM pacific for your next renewal, and the one after that, and the one after that.  So it's still almost exactly 24 X 90, just offset by 3 hours compared to those in Toronto/Montreal, 2 hours to those in Winterpeg, 1 hour to those in Calgary/Edmonton, 4 hours to those in Moncton, 4.5 hours for Newfoundland, etc.  

For me if that is truly the case it should be fully documented in terms of service renewals will occur 12AM EST. I spent 3 months saving my data as best possible and figured it was okay to use some up before my renewal date only to be slapped in the face.

Also not be "flippant" as Jorno mentioned prior but seems like to me the oracles are running the show here as of late...no official response from MODs via thread or private message.

srlawren

@Jorno it's not an exact time every time.  It's at some point during the overnight processing.  It might be a few mins later one month than the last and a few mins earlier the next month after that and so on.  Do you really need to know the exact minute it's going to happen?  You can't just go to bed the one day and wake up the next day to a freshly renewed plan?

srlawren

@canucks4life are we though?  I mean, it keeps being 9PM pacific for your next renewal, and the one after that, and the one after that.  So it's still almost exactly 24 X 90, just offset by 3 hours compared to those in Toronto/Montreal, 2 hours to those in Winterpeg, 1 hour to those in Calgary/Edmonton, 4 hours to those in Moncton, 4.5 hours for Newfoundland, etc.  

Jorno

I have read through the current Service Terms, Terms and Conditions and Knowledge Base Article All About Our Plans and Add-ons and find no mention of what time plans reset or renew.

I did find this post where a PM customer surmises that plan renewals occur at midnight (no reference to time zones).  The post was replied to by a mod with "Good job! you got the exact answer!"

Not to be flippant, but this exact answer, with no reference to time zones, leads customers to believe that plan resets and renewals occur at midnight local time.

There is an opportunity here to remove the ambiguity and clearly state what time plan resets and rewewals occur.  Take this opportunity to prevent future confusion and frustration within the community.

canucks4life

@NDesai wrote:

Good news is that at least your renewal went fine. 

As for the data usage, your plan actually resets from 9PM PST but the process doesn't complete till the morning. The data you used after 9PM is correctly counted towards the new cycle. 

Counting your lucky stars that auto renewal actually worked is not going to win over any new PM subscribers.

Very disappointing that everyone West of 90 are being short changed up to 3hrs.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Good news is that at least your renewal went fine. 

As for the data usage, your plan actually resets from 9PM PST but the process doesn't complete till the morning. The data you used after 9PM is correctly counted towards the new cycle. 

canucks4life

@xCameron94x wrote:

I feel like the time in the system is based on Eastern Time. Like MOD hours, all times are in EST (EDT).

It is an issue that should be looked at. Did you receive a text that auto pay went through, and that rewards were applied? Or was there an outage in internet during the middle of the night for you and your phone just decided to update apps ( I dont think this is the case)

I leave my phone off overnight so no updates also use my data manager and can see exactly when data usage occurs received the renewal SMS this morning.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

I feel like the time in the system is based on Eastern Time. Like MOD hours, all times are in EST (EDT).

It is an issue that should be looked at. Did you receive a text that auto pay went through, and that rewards were applied? Or was there an outage in internet during the middle of the night for you and your phone just decided to update apps ( I dont think this is the case)

Need Help? Let's chat.