cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan is listed as less than I am paying

JimT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just wondering:

I have a 90 day plan with unlimited Canada wide calling, Global text, and 3 gig data.  I am paying $126 (- discounts +tax - comes out to $128), but the plan builder lists this same plan for $120.  Do I have to change plans to get the lower rate?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@JimT wrote:

Just wondering:

I have a 90 day plan with unlimited Canada wide calling, Global text, and 3 gig data.  I am paying $126 (- discounts +tax - comes out to $128), but the plan builder lists this same plan for $120.  Do I have to change plans to get the lower rate?

thanks

@JimT

Do you remember when you activated this plan?

As mentioned above, do you see "3G" in your plan description?

Just asking because some details you've posted don't entirely add up with the 2017 plan changes as summarized by our awesome @Someone_here in this post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Public-Mobile-Pricing/m-p/188164/hi...

The answer to your question: Yes, you need to initiate a plan change in your self serve account. I suggest that you future date the change so that it takes effect on your next renewal. (Unless you've run out of data, of course, in that case it would make sense to start the "new" plan right away.)

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JimT: I would suggest you contact a moderator and confirm your current plan (LTE, "3G") so we can do an apples-to-apples comparison. Click here to send them a private message, making sure to provide your email address, phone number and a description ("hey, what speed is my data plan?") so they can give you a good answer.

"My plan just says 1Gb data.  No other details." - did you mean "3GB"? My gut feeling is that you have the full LTE but best to confirm if you are considering changing plans. If the new plan is "3G" (it's actually LTE but throttled) you might decide paying a little more for the additional speed is worth it, or vice-versa.

@alanbrenan: I'm not sure speedtest is a good way to test for the following reasons:

• If you have full LTE but happen to run the test under less than favourable circumstances you might take the results to mean you are on the "3G" plan
  • There was a bug a few months back where some people on the "3G" plans were actually getting higher than advertised speeds for their throttled plans - this might be fixed by now, I don't have one of these plans so I haven't followed the news on it
  • As mentioned even here on these forums a single speedtest run can use anwhere from 10MB up to 90MB of data! Ouch! I think I used about 400MB myself the first night I was on PM before I noticed. 🙂

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JimT wrote:

No. As I mentioned in brackets I took that into account.

If your data is not specified as being 3G, it is likely that it is in fact 4G and this would be why you're spending more. The current rate for a 90 day plan, canada-wide calling, global text and 3gb LTE data would be $135 before taxes or deductions.

You can download the speedtest app on your phone  at http://www.speedtest.net and report back the results to see if we can identify if you have 3G or LTE. (Make sure you download it over wifi and run it on your data!)

If you were to switch to the $120 plan it is likely you would notice a change in the speed of your service.

JimT

No. As I mentioned in brackets I took that into account.

JimT

My plan just says 1Gb data.  No other details.

geniusowl

Is the $2 autopayment discout (90 days = $6) a factor here?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@JimT, the $120 price is for the 3G or "LTE Light" data.  Do you have the 4G data bucket with your current plan?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JimT,  I would suspect you might have to.  Consider what would happen if the price went up.  You would want to keep your old price.  It would be nice if the system lowered your price automatically, but...

That said, if somehow the system doesn't let you do it, you might need to ask the moderators to change it for you.

Information regarding the moderators team can be found by following this link.
Click here to send them a private message.

Need Help? Let's chat.