cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan change not working

safia_gravel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Moderator_Team   Hello,  So I am in the US but planning to come to Canada soon to have a baby so phone service is crucially important.  I managed to get a new compatible phone, PM sim card, and today activated my SIM card and purchased a plan.  All went well.  However AFTER purchasing the plan I was directed to the following website https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-i9195i  in order to get directions for help in case my data plan doesn't work.  While on this site I discovered that apparently I can't get 4G LTE data from PM with my particular device.  Of course I did not know this before and purchased this type of data plan.  So I went into my account and tried to change my plan now.  I tried to downgrade my data to 3G speed so that it will work on my device.  However, the website wants to charge me an additional $50 (I originally paid $72).  This makes NO sense whatsoever.  Why am I being charged extra to downgrade.  If anything I should be getting $22 back or at least be able to switch for free seeing that I am the one losing money here by downgrading my data plan.  Please help.  Thank you

24 REPLIES 24

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@safia_gravel wrote:

However AFTER purchasing the plan I was directed to the following website https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-i9195i  in order to get directions for help in case my data plan doesn't work.  While on this site I discovered that apparently I can't get 4G LTE data from PM with my particular device.  Of course I did not know this before and purchased this type of data plan.  So I went into my account and tried to change my plan now.  I tried to downgrade my data to 3G speed so that it will work on my device.  However, the website wants to charge me an additional $50 (I originally paid $72).  This makes NO sense whatsoever.  Why am I being charged extra to downgrade.  If anything I should be getting $22 back or at least be able to switch for free seeing that I am the one losing money here by downgrading my data plan.  Please help.  Thank you

@Brooke_C @Alan_K @CS_Agent guys, please read the above quote.  THIS is the kind of confusion that ensues from naming the throttled data plans "3G" data plans. 

We have seen this theme over, and over, and over in the community.  Very few people (I would wager nearly zero) understand what they are actually getting without coming here and searching for the answer or asking questions like the above and being told.  The name is not clear.

Myself and many other community regulars whose opinions you value have been telling you, repeatedly, ever since these throttled plans launched, that the naming is not clear.  I am begging you to please go back to the drawing board and reconsider the naming.  People were already confused trying to figure out what phones work with PM services--an issue exacerbated by the fact that the IMEI checker on your site is so unreliable--and now they are running into issues like this where they think they need to match up their plan type to their phone's capabilities.  Please, fix this mess.

I suspect the 3G labeling is a competition thing.  Imagine being totally transparent about this plan being LTE lite.  That would trigger some to think it is LTE.  The lite can be conveniently dropped in conversation.  The competitors might have to respond and then we get the vicious spiral that nobody wants to see in a monopoly environment.  Right now we have a harmoniously competitive market in the 3rd tier space.  This is my conspiracy theory.

As for the IMEI checker, that should have been deep sixed long ago.  It is being retained to the total detriment of this service. 

Thanks for the feedback all - we will be working to get greater clarity on the frequency bands that are used at Public Mobile as well as solutioning something on the IMEI checker.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

no concern at all @safia_gravel, that's what we're here for 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

safia_gravel

Thanks @Mary_M

Yes, it does make sense.  If I can't utilize 4G  I guess I would prefer switching over (I bought the 5GB plan and could switch to 6 GB + bonus of the 3G speed) Even if I can't get the monetary difference back, at least I will have a little bit more to use...  But either way I'm glad it sounds like not too much of a concern

@srlawren wrote:

@safia_gravel wrote:

However AFTER purchasing the plan I was directed to the following website https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-i9195i  in order to get directions for help in case my data plan doesn't work.  While on this site I discovered that apparently I can't get 4G LTE data from PM with my particular device.  Of course I did not know this before and purchased this type of data plan.  So I went into my account and tried to change my plan now.  I tried to downgrade my data to 3G speed so that it will work on my device.  However, the website wants to charge me an additional $50 (I originally paid $72).  This makes NO sense whatsoever.  Why am I being charged extra to downgrade.  If anything I should be getting $22 back or at least be able to switch for free seeing that I am the one losing money here by downgrading my data plan.  Please help.  Thank you

@Brooke_C @Alan_K @CS_Agent guys, please read the above quote.  THIS is the kind of confusion that ensues from naming the throttled data plans "3G" data plans. 

We have seen this theme over, and over, and over in the community.  Very few people (I would wager nearly zero) understand what they are actually getting without coming here and searching for the answer or asking questions like the above and being told.  The name is not clear.

Myself and many other community regulars whose opinions you value have been telling you, repeatedly, ever since these throttled plans launched, that the naming is not clear.  I am begging you to please go back to the drawing board and reconsider the naming.  People were already confused trying to figure out what phones work with PM services--an issue exacerbated by the fact that the IMEI checker on your site is so unreliable--and now they are running into issues like this where they think they need to match up their plan type to their phone's capabilities.  Please, fix this mess.

I suspect the 3G labeling is a competition thing.  Imagine being totally transparent about this plan being LTE lite.  That would trigger some to think it is LTE.  The lite can be conveniently dropped in conversation.  The competitors might have to respond and then we get the vicious spiral that nobody wants to see in a monopoly environment.  Right now we have a harmoniously competitive market in the 3rd tier space.  This is my conspiracy theory.

As for the IMEI checker, that should have been deep sixed long ago.  It is being retained to the total detriment of this service. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@safia_gravel great to hear.  as long as apn is set correctly then data will work.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

If you select 3G as your preferred network, your data should work. However, you'd be paying more for the LTE plan although you won't get LTE connection.

Keep in mind that, since you're in the US, you won't have service unless you activating a US roaming add-on.

Does this make sense? 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

safia_gravel

just want to update, that I HAVE recieved the texts from PM, so the service side of things isn't a concern, just the data question 

safia_gravel

Thank you @Mary_M

So that would be good OR if you can just confirm that its going to work fine as it is, that is perfectly acceptable as well.  I don't fully understand this stuff unfortunately but it sounds as if perhaps there is not a problem in the first place? 

mimmo

@will13am  with an active plan calling will not work in the USA but you will receive smses.  you can even manage call forwarding as long as your phone connects to a cell tower.  if not the activation sms at least welcome to  the usa sms.

@safia_gravel  is your phone connecting to a network?  have you tried doing a manual search for network?  if your phone was to set to manulally select a network make sure you turn it to automatic once in canada else you will not get service in canada.

@will13am wrote:

@safia_gravel wrote:

Thanks for the input.  NO I have NOT recieved any text messages since activation.... hmmm

@safia_gravel, if you only purchases a plan and are still in the US you will not have service.  You need to purchase a US roaming add-on for the phone to work in the US.  You should be able to login to your account and check the status of the service.  If the account shows active status, then the service will work once the phone is connected to the Public Mobile network. 

@srlawren wrote:

@safia_gravel wrote:

I can't Bravo this post enough.  These simple things such as naming of plans needs to be fixed.  Change 3G to LTE light and I bet you will have people more attracted to it as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

safia_gravel

good news is I did recieve the text messages so at least service is active, still not clear on data service though, I tried data roaming it was so slow I couldn't tell if it was working but didn't want to use it all up trying

@safia_gravel, glad to see you were able to activate the sim but sorry to hear about the data issue.  As direct I would message the mods and they will change you to a 3G plan I am sure.  There is no point paying for the LTE if you can't get it.  You will be fine on the 3G plan anyway.

So must be getting close to having the baby if you have activated the phone.  All the best to you and your soon to be new born!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@safia_gravel wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@safia_gravel wrote:

NO texts recieved.  I did set up the APN settings according to the website provided though.  I did NOT purchase US roaming in my plan.

you do not need usa romaing to get sms in the usa. you can also try calling 18554public  that is basically like calling  611.  that would at least let you know if your phone is active.

if that doesnt work I would contact the mods to make sure your activation went properly.  

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

We'll take care of the plan change @safia_gravel 🙂 Indeed, when changing a plan prior to renewal date, the system will charge you for the new cost of the plan and a credit for the unused portion will not be credited. Let us make the change for you and avoid the inconvenience 🙂 

Someone will get back to you shortly!

Cheers,

Mary

@safia_gravel wrote:

Thanks for the input.  NO I have NOT recieved any text messages since activation.... hmmm

@safia_gravel, if you only purchases a plan and are still in the US you will not have service.  You need to purchase a US roaming add-on for the phone to work in the US.  You should be able to login to your account and check the status of the service.  If the account shows active status, then the service will work once the phone is connected to the Public Mobile network. 

@safia_gravel wrote:

Thank you @mimmo   So what you are saying is that maybe my 4G LTE plan will still work and I do not have to switch to 3G in order to have data working?  Unfortunately I won't know until I am actually in Canada,  I just really wanted to have this all set to go and  in place before I go due to the baby coming soon circumstances

@safia_gravel, here are the specs for the phone.  It is definitely compatible on 3G as well as band 7 LTE (2600 Mhz).  Unfortunately band 7 is not that popular.  There should be no problem operating the phone in LTE preferred mode or 3G only mode. 

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_mini_i9195i-7468.php

safia_gravel

NO texts recieved.  I did set up the APN settings according to the website provided though.  I did NOT purchase US roaming in my plan.

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your best bet is probably to send the moderators a message.  Click here to send the moderator team a private message.

You won't be able to switch the plan yourself without getting charged again for the new plan since they are prepaid plans.

safia_gravel

mimmo

@safia_gravel  even if you are in the usa you should be able to receive smses.  you should have received one that says welcome to Publilc mobile and welcome to the usa.  if you got those then that means you are connecting to 3g towers.  this will mean that you should connect to the 3g towers in canada (which provide both voice and data) 

dont forget you will no matter need to set up apn settings.

PS congratulations on the baby on the way.   

safia_gravel

Thank you @mimmo   So what you are saying is that maybe my 4G LTE plan will still work and I do not have to switch to 3G in order to have data working?  Unfortunately I won't know until I am actually in Canada,  I just really wanted to have this all set to go and  in place before I go due to the baby coming soon circumstances

Anonymous
Not applicable

@safia_gravel, If you just signed up, and would like to downgrade, DO NOT make a plan change yourself.  You will be charged again (the price of the new plan), and not be given a credit for unused portion (all) of the old plan.  This is how it works with pre-paid plans.  That said, if you contact the moderator team and ask them to downgrade you, they will likely do it and put the price difference back into your account.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

mimmo

@safia_gravel  the 3g and lte  data use the same frequencies/towers.  its is just that the "3g"  is throttled LTE at 3mbs.

does your phone currently get data using the 3g frequencies?

the mods might be able to switch you to the 3g plan and credit you your payment to save you money.  you would need to contact them.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-") to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

Need Help? Let's chat.