cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking talk and text only

Bulldog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I referred a friend to Public Mobile yesterday.  We setup his phone and self serve last night.  He wanted to pick just unlimited talk and text but it would give us that option.  He does not want data.  We could not pick this plan only one of the custom packages with all!  How do we correct his plan?
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AdamJay wrote:

One benefit of having a talk and text only plan is that you can receive 4G/LTE download/upload speeds if you opt for a data add-on instead of the 3G data built into every plan. And since any unused add-on data is carried over every billing cycle, you may find this a better value than the preset plans as your data accumulates. Unfortunately, the talk and text only plans have been removed so it's unclear how one could take advantage of this now...

Presently, the only way would be to take over one of these plans for someone who no longer needs it.  As for the $10 plan being purchased from someone, that only works if the person doesn't need a larger amount of talk time or text messages.

The $5 add-on is a great deal. Texting...wifi app...works. Other more onerous options.

@AdamJay wrote:

One benefit of having a talk and text only plan is that you can receive 4G/LTE download/upload speeds if you opt for a data add-on instead of the 3G data built into every plan. And since any unused add-on data is carried over every billing cycle, you may find this a better value than the preset plans as your data accumulates. Unfortunately, the talk and text only plans have been removed so it's unclear how one could take advantage of this now...

Presently, the only way would be to take over one of these plans for someone who no longer needs it.  As for the $10 plan being purchased from someone, that only works if the person doesn't need a larger amount of talk time or text messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdamJay wrote:

Yes, options in the BYO or $10 plan allowed this to happen. Maybe someone would "sell" their unused $10 plan.

AdamJay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Braziller wrote:

On the 25$ talk and text plan.  It says unlimited talk CANADA. That’s clear.  The text is unlimited international.  Does that mean text in Canada is not included?

I know that the the advertising says "international". It's really global texting while you are in Canada, meaning that texting within Canada is incldued.

Braziller
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On the 25$ talk and text plan.  It says unlimited talk CANADA. That’s clear.  The text is unlimited international.  Does that mean text in Canada is not included?

It has been hinted that other plans may become available with the removal of the build your own plan. Maybe a $20 unlimited talk and text would be a popular choice?

@Bulldog wrote:

Thanks for your input. Issue resolved staying with the 1GB package as it will just shut off data when limit reached.  No overage or surprised billing I am told by Moderator.  Very impressed with Public Mobile so far! 

For unlimited talk and text, there would be little reason to select only those two options. Even if the build your own plan tool were still available, the $25 Ready-made plan is the least expensive way to get those features.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dickwong  why would you suggest to contact mods.  there is nothing they can do.  the plans are the plans.

@Bulldogas @Anonymous  infered the $10 (50 minutes + 50 sms) and $15 (unlimited incoming calls and unlimited sms +100 outgoing minutes) with the addition of the $5/500 minute canada addon are great values.  it depends on how much you use the phone.  

I transfered my dad to the $10 plan (he doenst sms) and added 2 500 mintute addons.  he doens't know the diference between the unlimited talk.  I just need to check teh addon usage and but minutes as needed.

Bulldog

Thanks for your input. Issue resolved staying with the 1GB package as it will just shut off data when limit reached.  No overage or surprised billing I am told by Moderator.  Very impressed with Public Mobile so far! 

Bulldog

Thanks for your input.  Issue resolved staying with the 1GB package as it will just shut off data when limit reached.  No overage or surprised billing I am told by Moderator.  Very impressed with Public Mobile so far! 

Bulldog

Thanks for your input! Issue resolved staying with the 1GB package as it will just shut off data when limit reached.  No overage or surprised billing I am told by Moderator.  Very impressed with Public Mobile so far! 

Bulldog

Issue resolved staying with the 1GB package as it will just shut off data when limit reached.  No overage or surprised billing I am told by Moderator.  Very impressed with Public Mobile so far!

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Contact moderators but I doubt if there's much they'll help if they respond soon enough....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bulldog wrote:

So his data will shutdown but will his talk and text still work if the data is used up and shutdown?

Yes.

Each component stands on its own. If you have limited minutes then you can't talk anymore without an add-on (2 plans). If you have limited texts then you can't send SMS anymore (1 plan). If you have limited data then you can't browse sites anymore without an add-on (all plans with data).

Each other feature will work if either feature is consumed. Then it all renews again at the next term.

Bulldog

So his data will shutdown but will his talk and text still work if the data is used up and shutdown?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bulldog wrote:
I referred a friend to Public Mobile yesterday.  We setup his phone and self serve last night.  He wanted to pick just unlimited talk and text but it would give us that option.  He does not want data.  We could not pick this plan only one of the custom packages with all!  How do we correct his plan?

Just recently, they dropped the custom plan building feature.

But even still, as we learned last night in another thread, someone actually pays more to not have data. This doesn't make economic sense to me but it's their money.

So the only non-data option is the limited-minutes/texts $10 plan. There's an excellent minutes add-on but no text add-on.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Correct he also can't make calls to outside canada since his plan does not have it. Prepaid does not let you use anything you did not pay for. You cannot get bill shock or any overage/roaming fees on public without explicitly buying it before hand. He'd have to buy 400 min international calling before hand to call US or other places for example. But even then they have to be on the countries supported list on PM since PM only covers calls to certain countries.

Bulldog

So it will cut you off once the 1 gb is used?

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just don't use the data? There's no point in getting talk/text plan only since PM is prepaid so there's 0 chance of overage with data. It will simply just cut you off once he uses up the 1gb. That or he could just blow the 1gb at the start of every month so it cuts him off on purpose then he has no data.

Need Help? Let's chat.