cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone telling me I have no long distance?

AriannaIvy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Incoming calls are going straight to voicemail and outgoing are telling me I do not have a long distance plan ? The calls are local 100% sure. I have 2 public mobile phones both running on IPhone 6. No issues with one , this one is giving me this trouble and it’s unusable !

anyone know what’s happening ?

my billing is still going through with no issues too! , text messages do work without issue so I’m confused ?

16 REPLIES 16

@gblackma wrote:

@AriannaIvy  FYI  Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . Personally, I would leave it and dial 1 + 10 digit number and save it in my contacts. If it bothers you, you can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account.

I know we've chatted about this before. For an outgoing call, the customer changing the phone number on the Public Mobile account (the same account making the outgoing call) would make no difference. If an outgoing call is long distance, changing to a number to the same city as the destination being called does not make it a local call.  But yes, changing the phone number would allow others to call this person as a local call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AriannaIvy wrote:

Ok I see the issue 613-581-xxxx is the number and I’m ottawa but the 581 is New Brunswick 

So you had been trying to call 581-xxx-yyyy?

Area code comes first. Area codes are assigned to provinces.

The term "local number" comes more from the landline days where the area code could be the same but the exchange (aka prefix) could be delineated across a street thereby making calls across the street long distance. The telco's usually made manual exceptions to this internally but it was still long distance. Just not paid as long distance.

But nowadays with cell phones having unlimited Canada-wide...long distance and "local number" is becoming a thing of the past.

So just add the 1 to all your contacts and you'll connect fine. No charges.

AriannaIvy

Ok I see the issue 613-581-xxxx is the number and I’m ottawa but the 581 is New Brunswick 

@AriannaIvy  FYI  Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . Personally, I would leave it and dial 1 + 10 digit number and save it in my contacts. If it bothers you, you can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there! You can get help by submitting a ticket here https://bit.ly/2HK8Bnb. Chat with SIMon and write "talk to a human".

@AriannaIvy wrote:

Ok I’ve used “1” with the numbers and it works after a reset, it’s takes 5-8 seconds of pause without ring before working. 
any ideas what this is and how to fix it ? I shouldn’t have to use “1” for local numbers 

Is your area code 647 per chance ? There have been other customers with that area code that have reported similar "glitch".

AriannaIvy

Ok I’ve used “1” with the numbers and it works after a reset, it’s takes 5-8 seconds of pause without ring before working. 
any ideas what this is and how to fix it ? I shouldn’t have to use “1” for local numbers 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@AriannaIvy wrote:

Incoming calls are going straight to voicemail and outgoing are telling me I do not have a long distance plan ? The calls are local 100% sure. I have 2 public mobile phones both running on IPhone 6. No issues with one , this one is giving me this trouble and it’s unusable !

my billing is still going through with no issues too! , text messages do work without issue so I’m confused ?

Reboot phone. Add a 1 to the numbers that say you don't have long distance (JUST TRY IT!). Incoming calls to voicemail.....are they blocked numbers, do the calls show in recents, is your ringer off or too low???

@AriannaIvy you can contact customer support here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a message

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

@AriannaIvy  That message usually is the result of calling an incorrect number. Try dialing another number directly.

AriannaIvy

iPhone reset , still says exactly this “ sorry we cannot complete your call, you don’t have a long distance addon and this call is not covered by your plan” 

this must be public mobile issue on their side ?

AriannaIvy

D80269A7-D67F-43B7-9428-59BEF9ABC046.png

AriannaIvy

9123ED45-E19D-4656-96D9-669C76C15F65.png

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AriannaIvy  Try the problem sim in the working iPhone. If it works then it's your phone. If not, then your account is not provisioned properly submit a ticket to PM and ask them to reset your account.

To submit a ticket click on the question mark bottom right of your screen.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Try a network reset @AriannaIvy . Stay safe. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@AriannaIvy wrote:

my billing is still going through with no issues too! 

With the 6 that's problematic...what plan is it on ?

Need Help? Let's chat.