cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone is broken. Can I suspend my service while I figure out getting a new phone?

DV
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Samsung Galaxy S5 has broken and I'm left without a working cell at the moment. I'm going to try and find a replacement, but it could be a week or two before I get one. Maybe even longer. I'm paying $40 a month for 4GBs of Data at the moment that I can't use. 

Is there a way to suspend my service while I figure out getting a new phone?? 

I know there is a Lost/Stolen Phone button in self-serve, but that seems to imply that I'll need a new SIM card when I reactivate. That's not the case for me as I still have the SIM.

Any help appreciated....

DV

6 REPLIES 6

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Please be careful about two things when deciding whether to downgrade or not.

1. As soon as you downgrade and chose to do it "now", all prepaid amount for the service will be lost. In addition you pay for the new plan. Don't do this.

2. As soon as you downgrade to another plan: Later you cannot change it back to the promo plan you have at the moment. Don't do this either.

this is just a suggestion, but amazon sells really cheap BLU phones that could serve as a replacement for a while. Staples also sells affordabale unlocked phones. But its only just a suggestion that will get you a replacement phone quickly 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DV, sorry to hear about your phone problems.  You are really asking for the moon.  It's not possible to change and stop plans any time you feel like it.  No carrier had that kind of one sided plan feature.  Even if you could downgrade your plan from the 2016 fall promotion until you get a new phone, how are you going to get the promotion back?  Focus your energy on getting a replacement phone quickly.  Maybe you can borrow one from a friend.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM service is entirely prepaid. Whatever funds you've paid up to this point, you won't be getting back. It's not credit that you're losing, but rather service time. You've paid for service over a given time, and that time disappears whether you use it or not.

If your plan renewal date happens to fall within the period you want your service to be suspended, then that is the only way you can save some money: by removing autopay and delaying your renewal. In that case, your account would become "suspended" as of the renewal date (you won't be paying anything from that time forward) and you'll have up to 89 days to reactivate it.

DV
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In that case is there any way to reduce my contract to a bare minimum and reduce the amount of credit that I am losing?  

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

As far as I know, PM doesn't have an option to suspend service the way you're describing, i.e. not pay for the period suspended and resume use when you get the new phone. Even when you suspend due to a lost phone, I think you're still effectively losing the service time you prepaid. The lost status merely stops someone else from using the phone/SIM.  Best thing is to get your new phone quickly.

Need Help? Let's chat.