cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone doesn't recognise local numbers and says they are international nrs?

Claudia4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When trying to make local calls, it doesn't recognise the numbers as local. Purchased add on and still doesn't let me make calls because "we couldn't complete your call, you don't have active long distance add on". But the numbers I'm calling are all local numbers 

6 REPLIES 6

It does sound like metered plan though

@cin7 wrote:
Also, keep in mind that calls are billed by the minute...so even if you make a 30 sec call, it counts as 1 min. This doesn't apply when making toll-free calls though.

Most people have unlimtied minutes, so there's no need to keep track on an unlimited calling plan. 

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Also, keep in mind that calls are billed by the minute...so even if you make a 30 sec call, it counts as 1 min. This doesn't apply when making toll-free calls though.

Dial all numbers - local or long-distance - as 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If you've recently done a number port then incoming/outgoing calls might be directed improperly for a couple days (and the problem will sort itself out once the number port has fully completed).

If you're using a number which was originally allocated to a different (long-distance) number block then the problem might persist a little longer, but it will still sort itself out after a few days.

If you're on a ($15 or maybe $10) Limited Talk plan with no more prepaid minutes then you have to buy more minutes (add-on) or wait until your plan renewal buys them for you. Login Self-Serve to see how many minutes you've used up and how many minutes you have left. If you're on a ($25+) Unlimited Talk plan then this isn't an issue.

The numbers you're dialing might indeed be long-distance. If so, you can only call them by purchasing one of PM's Long-Distance add-ons or by purchasing a third-party long-distance calling card.

Talk-over-Data apps/services like FaceTime, Skype, Fongo, Whatsapp, Hangouts/Duo can be good options if you have access to data (preferably "free" data across WiFi instead of paid data across cellular).

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Claudia4 wrote:

When trying to make local calls, it doesn't recognise the numbers as local. Purchased add on and still doesn't let me make calls because "we couldn't complete your call, you don't have active long distance add on". But the numbers I'm calling are all local numbers 

Did you try putting a 1 in front of the number?

Are you out of minutes? Buying an add on is a 2 step process. First step is adding the funds and second step is buying the add on. Go into self service to make sure the add on is listed under "My Data & Add-Ons" section.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like you are out of minutes

If on 15 plan you can either buy 500 min addon for $5 or use your data to call using TextNow or fongo

Need Help? Let's chat.