cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Settings for US Roaming Unlimited Talk?

BubbleTea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there needs to be any phone setting changes that need to be made for the US Roaming Unlimited Talk add-on. Apologies if this has already been asked/answered - just about all the searches I saw were for US Data Roaming.

An elder who is not phone savvy will be travelling to the US and I was thinking of loading the US Roaming Unlimited Talk add-on to her account. Trip will be for about a week so I was thinking of loading it on 2-3 days prior to make sure everthing is set up correctly. My main concern is whether her phone/minutes will work off the bat when she reaches the US as I will not be there to do any phone configurations to her Android.

If anyone has their experience/insight to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

@BubbleTea wrote:

Wow thanks for the quick responses everybody!

I'm looking through the phone right now and the only option I see for roaming is Data Roaming. I'm guessing this is the setting I will be turning on even though she is not getting an add-on with US roaming data?

I sure hope her phone will be able to auto-detect which network to use because I don't think she will know how to manually select one.

@BubbleTea  Since PM is prepaid you can turn roaming on and leave it on now. No need to wait to turn it on just before the trip since it doesn't interfere with anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BubbleTea wrote:

I'm looking through the phone right now and the only option I see for roaming is Data Roaming. I'm guessing this is the setting I will be turning on even though she is not getting an add-on with US roaming data?

I sure hope her phone will be able to auto-detect which network to use because I don't think she will know how to manually select one.

I'm not sure why it's frequently suggested to turn on data roaming when people are just getting talk or text. But I'm not sure.

Down in some mobile network settings somewhere there should be something about selecting network automatically. When automatic then it will just see and connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T. Some people end up having to select manually if one of them seems to be weak where they are. The phone might get a text welcoming the customer to the US and inviting them to get a roaming add-on.

BubbleTea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@BubbleTea 

Usually no settings or only one need to be changed to use roaming.

Most phone are set auto select network. That should setting should work.

Roaming data needs to be on to use data.

No other changes. All other settings same as when you use Public in Canada.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BubbleTea wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there needs to be any phone setting changes that need to be made for the US Roaming Unlimited Talk add-on. Apologies if this has already been asked/answered - just about all the searches I saw were for US Data Roaming.

An elder who is not phone savvy will be travelling to the US and I was thinking of loading the US Roaming Unlimited Talk add-on to her account. Trip will be for about a week so I was thinking of loading it on 2-3 days prior to make sure everthing is set up correctly. My main concern is whether her phone/minutes will work off the bat when she reaches the US as I will not be there to do any phone configurations to her Android.

If anyone has their experience/insight to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The only adjusting may be that she might need to manually select either of AT&T ot T Mobile..whichever one works best...but alot of phones can select automatically.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@BubbleTea One setting must be turned on is Roaming. Depending on the phone, sometimes you have to set Network Settings to one of USA network (T-Mobile or AT&T). Other than that there should not be anything you have to change. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You'll need to set roaming to on or automatic. 

If data is going to be used than data roaming set to on as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.