cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal short code messaging not arriving on my phone

realshadow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi community,

I am a PM user for a few months now but when I tried to change my payment options on PayPal today I was not able to receive the text messages they sent out. I called their hotline and as expected they blame my phone provider (PM obviously). Can anyone please help me. I need (!!!) to know how I can receive these text messages again. This is crucial as I deal a lot with Paypal. I have the $25 plan including

1GB of Data

Unlimited Canada-wide Talk

Unlimited International Text

Please, please, please help.

13 REPLIES 13

salbasan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem. I am currently locked out of my paypal account and their support is driviging me nuts by repeating "call your mobile provider to enable hard coded sms messages". This is ridicilous, please fix this issue. 

realshadow

Thanks, I submitted a ticket. Unfortunately adding my old number again does not work. I tried. I still cannot receive these text messages.

@realshadow wrote:

OK, what I ended up doing was I am using my work phone for the verification with Paypal. This option is FAR from ideal and I would want PM to solve this issue for good. For now I can make it work but this issue should be investigated by the provider. What is the best way to ask PM to investigate this issue especially considering that I am obviously not the only one having this particular issue?

@realshadow  As others have mentioned the best way to avoid these issues is to install Google Authenicator from the play store and switch your PP to use GA as the primary source. If you add your PM number it should also work now that you changed to your work number.

To submit a ticket to PM do the following:

stpm-new.png

@realshadowYou will need to contact the moderators by clicking on the ? on the lower right hand corner for that.

realshadow

OK, what I ended up doing was I am using my work phone for the verification with Paypal. This option is FAR from ideal and I would want PM to solve this issue for good. For now I can make it work but this issue should be investigated by the provider. What is the best way to ask PM to investigate this issue especially considering that I am obviously not the only one having this particular issue?

@realshadow  Keep us updated and let us know if it works. My guess is that when you first setup the number and PP sends the original text for verification from your reply, it somehow captures the provider's network and as an added security measure will only send out future SC texts to that provider's network. So when one ports out the problem occurs. I setup my PP after I ported my number to PM and never had an issue.

@realshadowUse Paypal's 2FA using Google Authenticator or Authy.. it is more secure than a phone number.

realshadow

I set up TextNow but despite of being able to send a text to my own number, the PayPal text messages do not come through. What a pain...

realshadow

Yes we ported the numbers. I am trying to see if I can use textnow to set up a number and receive the texts that way.

@realshadow wrote:

I tried that. My wife is also on PM and she also can't receive them. I looked into the list available on the forum and Paypal is listed as accepted provider. That really sucks.

@realshadowDid you and your wife port your numbers over from another provider? My guess is that problem occurs when porting your number over. Do you have access to another number to try?

Like I said I get them so I don't think it's a PM issue.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could setup an account with an app like TextNow and see if the codes can be sent to the app phone#.

realshadow

I tried that. My wife is also on PM and she also can't receive them. I looked into the list available on the forum and Paypal is listed as accepted provider. That really sucks.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@realshadow wrote:

Hi community,

I am a PM user for a few months now but when I tried to change my payment options on PayPal today I was not able to receive the text messages they sent out. I called their hotline and as expected they blame my phone provider (PM obviously). Can anyone please help me. I need (!!!) to know how I can receive these text messages again. This is crucial as I deal a lot with Paypal. I have the $25 plan including

1GB of Data

Unlimited Canada-wide Talk

Unlimited International Text

Please, please, please help.

@realshadow  Other's in the past have reported the same problem. I currently don't have a problem with receiving them. My recommendation is to access your PP account and change the number to another temp that you have access to and then back to your PM number to see if that fixes it.

Need Help? Let's chat.