cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying two plans

Talos814
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a payment problem. I have autopay function and recently I have changed my plan. What happended was that I already had paid 135$ for 3 months on Dec1 2018 but it charged me 40$ more on Jan 4 2018 for a monthly plan. I do not know why I was charged 40$ more when I already had paid 135$ for 3 months.

I hope that you can help me. Thanks 

17 REPLIES 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541: @wetcoaster had a screenshot of that recently. That is the exact problem. It should say that there will be no refunds of any nature provided on the old plan.

@Anonymous, @computergeek541, @stonechucker

I'm very late to the party, but here is the post @Anonymous has referred to: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Lost-40/m-p/315314/highlight/true#M23412

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541: @wetcoaster had a screenshot of that recently. That is the exact problem. It should say that there will be no refunds of any nature provided on the old plan.

@Anonymous, this is something that should be out in the next couple of weeks with better wording.

@ShawnC13

All fingers crossed that this is actually happening - after all there is no coding or integration involved by just updating  this warning text.... Given PM's track record on fixing stuff like this, I will not hold my breath though.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

It is funny because when I was with Rogers I did get a refund when we cancelled in the middle of our plan. So we actually pre-pay for the service as well we are just on the hook for any additional costs we may incur that get added onto your prepayment for the next month.  The only Postpaid about post paid accounts is overages

It's like this at all carriers for postpaid, or at least it is now,  When Wind Mobile opened, their postpaid/Pay After did actually bill for the regular plan after the first month was over.  I know that with current postpaid plans, there is a bit of grace period, but Wind, it used to be that you were always paying for services rendered at least a month ago.  Wind changed this shortly after and now is billing in advance on postpaid, just like everyone else.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, this is something that should be out in the next couple of weeks with better wording.

It's good to know that something is at least scheduled to be done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh ok - thanks.  That's what I thought, and at least I know that I didn't miss something.   If I wasn't alraedy a customer and have been reading about this for a while, I would think there would be proration.  I'll say that I would have asked someone,  but still...

I know someone is going to say that it's prepaid, so there's no refunds.  That argument doesn't fly with me.  Some other prepaid carriers do return prorated account credits for the unused portion of the old plan.  If Public Mobile doesn't want to do that, I believe that they should consider removing the immedaite change option.

I'm fine having the option...just that that last click should be explaining what will happen. Losing all your features sounds like "yeah I won't have the 1.5gb I'm getting the 4.5gb duh" ...click. HEY!! Sigh.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh ok - thanks.  That's what I thought, and at least I know that I didn't miss something.   If I wasn't alraedy a customer and have been reading about this for a while, I would think there would be proration.  I'll say that I would have asked someone,  but still...

I know someone is going to say that it's prepaid, so there's no refunds.  That argument doesn't fly with me.  Some other prepaid carriers do return prorated account credits for the unused portion of the old plan.  If Public Mobile doesn't want to do that, I believe that they should consider removing the immedaite change option.

It is funny because when I was with Rogers I did get a refund when we cancelled in the middle of our plan. So we actually pre-pay for the service as well we are just on the hook for any additional costs we may incur that get added onto your prepayment for the next month.  The only Postpaid about post paid accounts is overages

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

I wish I could provide screenshots at this time, however, the system is currently not allowing me to select a plan to show these steps in this thread.

I changed my plan yesterday, and there is indeed a popup if you tell the system to change the plan immediately.  I think I can weigh in on why many seem to be surprised and upset that they ended up paying for two different plans.  The popup does say that new plan will be effective immediately, and that you will lose any features of your old plan. 

When I saw that, I was actually thinking about tthe complaints about this, and did take a second to  read the message.  I do not recall it saying anything about not getting any refund for the unused portion of the old plan.  I believe that's where the problem may lie.

@batgurrl, this thread has been resolved, and you've essentially given the same solution I gave in the very first reply.

batgurrl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Easiest solution to this problem is to make sure that you change plans on the day that your payment is due.

This way, not only will you prevent a headache, but you will not be charged this way.

Once you pay for a plan, it is in effect until the next payment date.

Since you paid for three months in December, then changed your plan in January, you were not going to pay until March, changing the plan before the date in March you have forfeited any payment in the system.

Next time, make sure to read the instructions and warnings that come when changing the plan.

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@hzmy, there are two selections to be used 'during' a currently active plan, and they work as you would expect, but the description on the buttons.  The button on the left is "Change Plan Now", the button on the right is "Change on Next Bill Date".  

To use either of these buttons correctly, you must do the process during your active* plan cycle.  The Now selection prompts a screen detailing that you lose your current features, and pay full price now.  The next Bill Date option instead lock in a plan change for your upcoming bill date, and not take payment.

I wish I could provide screenshots at this time, however, the system is currently not allowing me to select a plan to show these steps in this thread.

=============

* Active plan is the original required time to make a current date, or future date plan change successfully without Moderator_Team assistance.  This has been announced in the Announcements forum to now be possible when in suspended status (when a plan is not active and awaiting payment).

I am aware of the two options, that's why I replied in my thread about, change in between the renewal dates. But yes, it seems OP renewed his plan IMMEDIATELY instead of on the date of the next renewal.

surreyboz

@Talos814 wrote:

I have a payment problem. I have autopay function and recently I have changed my plan. What happended was that I already had paid 135$ for 3 months on Dec1 2018 but it charged me 40$ more on Jan 4 2018 for a monthly plan. I do not know why I was charged 40$ more when I already had paid 135$ for 3 months.

No there was no Payment Problem, You switched your plan to an immediate plan change therefore you paid for your new plan. The system warns you very very clearly in English or French 

surreyboz

@Talos814 wrote:

No there was no Payment Problem, You switched your plan to an immediate plan change therefore you paid for your new plan. The system warms you very very clearly in English or French 

@hzmy, there are two selections to be used 'during' a currently active plan, and they work as you would expect, but the description on the buttons.  The button on the left is "Change Plan Now", the button on the right is "Change on Next Bill Date".  

To use either of these buttons correctly, you must do the process during your active* plan cycle.  The Now selection prompts a screen detailing that you lose your current features, and pay full price now.  The next Bill Date option instead lock in a plan change for your upcoming bill date, and not take payment.

=============

* Active plan is the original required time to make a current date, or future date plan change successfully without Moderator_Team assistance.  This has been announced in the Announcements forum to now be possible when in suspended status (when a plan is not active and awaiting payment).

hzmy

@Talos814 wrote:

Any plan change in between a billing cycle will result in lost of your remaining balance. 

😞😞

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Talos814, you were charged the $40 because you accepted the message that told you that you would be forfeiting all features of your then current plan and paying full price.

This is not a bug, as it is a user fails to understand that doing an immediate change, rather than the provided option of a 'change on next renewal' instead.

Prepaid service is like this across the country and all carriers.

Need Help? Let's chat.