Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Paying for data that I am unable to use

one plus 5T

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Melissamuiser 

Do you generally use that much data in a month? Or have you just been using a little more than usual the last couple of months? You do have full speed 4G LTE so some sites will use more data than throttled 4G LTE. Any sites with a lot of video such as YouTube, Snapchat, Instagram etc....can really suck your data dry especially if they are left on in the background.

You need to do some maintenance on your phone and monitor your data more closely and you will be able to keep within plan allotment. This is important as since you have discovered your plan was eliminated well over a year ago as was any opportunity to have full speed 4G LTE. This may be important to you to keep so changing your plan now means you will lose it and the full speed data forever.

I suggest you do the following and test out on your next 30 day cycle if it helps you stay within plan allotment. Set your data tracker and update the dates when a month has more or less than 30 days in it ( like October.) Set your data warning and data limiter. I have mine set at 25% ( warning) and 50% (limiter). This way when you've used 1.5gb you'll be warned....you can note to yourself.....are you one week into your plan? Or one day?!! Again at 50% (3gb) your data will shut off. Are you two weeks in? This also a chance to review your apps for data usage and see what's using most of your data and limit your use of the ones that are high users....and try to use them when you're on wifi only. Then reset these again remember that you now have 3gb left and set the warning and limiter accordingly.

If you have WiFi assist or the android equivalent enabled turn it off. You don't need to be using mobile data accidently when you have access to wifi. Go thru your apps and turn off all background data usage this is just a waste of data and you won't notice any real difference in your apps performance  (and you'll see how much data you're really wasting in background data usage.) Stay on top of this kind of data tracking and occasionally compare your phone's data tracking to the data counter in your account and you'll find it won't be off by much. You should be able to stay well within your data means...and keep your plan with full speed 4G LTE. 

You won't be able to add the Canada wide calling option to your plan builder but you can add the $5/500min calling add on and it will kick in whenever you need to make an outgoing long distance call out of province. This will stay on your account until completely depleted. If its a friend or family member your calling and they have unlimited canada wide calling you can always ask that they call you back!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Melissamuiser wrote:

one plus 5T

Have you googled for what settings you should adjust to minimize the use of data when it is turned on? Ie anything that can be updated or refreshed over wifi should not have access to data. And turn off data when you are not using it. 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Have you googled for what settings you should adjust to minimize the use of data when it is turned on? Ie anything that can be updated or refreshed over wifi should not have access to data. And turn off data when you are not using it. 

@LurganIeUk Turning off data at home means no MMS in or out. My android phone uses MMS for group texts that I use a lot for work.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Melissamuiser wrote:

screen.png

You have the 30 days 6GB full LTE speed plan according to your screenshot.

@Melissamuiser wrote:

data.jpg

PM billing cycle is 30 days.  Not monthly.  Your renewal date changes depending on how many days in a month.  The phone data usage tracking is from from day of each month.  Therefore, your phone is tracking the wrong period.  You need to change the start date on your phone right after your renewal date.

You can create a support ticket to ask moderator to look into your usage.

But the answer will be the same.  Your data was not working because you used all your 6GB data.  Your data worked again after purchased a $15 1GB data add-on.

If you do not need the full LTE speed, you can change plan to the $45 6.5GB plan with autopay enabled.  But your data speed on the new plan is LTE capped to 3Mbps.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did a couple month because i was thinking of leaving. and didnt want to be locked in for three months. But after today I may just do that there has been a lot of changes and this may not work for me anymore

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Melissamuiser 

Unless you stream or download a lot of HD video on your phone you won't notice much if a difference in data speed maybe a few seconds when waiting for video. Sites will automatically lower the resolution of video when detecting throttled 4G LTE data speed so you will use less data overall. Its probably not worth spending an extra $20 a month for full speed 4GLTE.

If you find you do need extra data you can still save money over your existing plan by taking the $50/8.5gb plan. Always remember to change your plan on next renewal unless you are near the end of your cycle and you really need the data you can change now to a different plan (ie $45/6.5gb to the $50/8.5gb) and only pay $5 to get 2gb more data.....cheaper than a data add on. Just remember to add the plan cost first to your account balance then choose the new plan change now. Your 30 day cycle will start fresh from that date. (This is not always a good option earlier in a 30 day cycle.)

Take some time to make your decision....then choose the new plan that suits your needs and when to change it.

Need Help? Let's chat.