cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for data that I am unable to use

Melissamuiser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a couple issues. This month i paid for for 6gs of data I only got 1 and because i was at work i had to pay for another 1g to get through the work day. my phone data says i used 2.45 gs of data. I would like a refund for the data that I paid for and never got.Will this happen again next month? This may have happening in the past months i seem to keep running out of data.

When i go to change my plan there is no option to get canada wide calling.  When i change my account there is no more options to build your own plan anymore.

27 REPLIES 27

@Melissamuiser 

Unless you stream or download a lot of HD video on your phone you won't notice much if a difference in data speed maybe a few seconds when waiting for video. Sites will automatically lower the resolution of video when detecting throttled 4G LTE data speed so you will use less data overall. Its probably not worth spending an extra $20 a month for full speed 4GLTE.

If you find you do need extra data you can still save money over your existing plan by taking the $50/8.5gb plan. Always remember to change your plan on next renewal unless you are near the end of your cycle and you really need the data you can change now to a different plan (ie $45/6.5gb to the $50/8.5gb) and only pay $5 to get 2gb more data.....cheaper than a data add on. Just remember to add the plan cost first to your account balance then choose the new plan change now. Your 30 day cycle will start fresh from that date. (This is not always a good option earlier in a 30 day cycle.)

Take some time to make your decision....then choose the new plan that suits your needs and when to change it.

Melissamuiser

I did a couple month because i was thinking of leaving. and didnt want to be locked in for three months. But after today I may just do that there has been a lot of changes and this may not work for me anymore

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Melissamuiser wrote:

screen.png

You have the 30 days 6GB full LTE speed plan according to your screenshot.

@Melissamuiser wrote:

data.jpg

PM billing cycle is 30 days.  Not monthly.  Your renewal date changes depending on how many days in a month.  The phone data usage tracking is from from day of each month.  Therefore, your phone is tracking the wrong period.  You need to change the start date on your phone right after your renewal date.

You can create a support ticket to ask moderator to look into your usage.

But the answer will be the same.  Your data was not working because you used all your 6GB data.  Your data worked again after purchased a $15 1GB data add-on.

If you do not need the full LTE speed, you can change plan to the $45 6.5GB plan with autopay enabled.  But your data speed on the new plan is LTE capped to 3Mbps.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Have you googled for what settings you should adjust to minimize the use of data when it is turned on? Ie anything that can be updated or refreshed over wifi should not have access to data. And turn off data when you are not using it. 

@LurganIeUk Turning off data at home means no MMS in or out. My android phone uses MMS for group texts that I use a lot for work.

@Melissamuiser wrote:

one plus 5T

Have you googled for what settings you should adjust to minimize the use of data when it is turned on? Ie anything that can be updated or refreshed over wifi should not have access to data. And turn off data when you are not using it. 

@Melissamuiser 

Do you generally use that much data in a month? Or have you just been using a little more than usual the last couple of months? You do have full speed 4G LTE so some sites will use more data than throttled 4G LTE. Any sites with a lot of video such as YouTube, Snapchat, Instagram etc....can really suck your data dry especially if they are left on in the background.

You need to do some maintenance on your phone and monitor your data more closely and you will be able to keep within plan allotment. This is important as since you have discovered your plan was eliminated well over a year ago as was any opportunity to have full speed 4G LTE. This may be important to you to keep so changing your plan now means you will lose it and the full speed data forever.

I suggest you do the following and test out on your next 30 day cycle if it helps you stay within plan allotment. Set your data tracker and update the dates when a month has more or less than 30 days in it ( like October.) Set your data warning and data limiter. I have mine set at 25% ( warning) and 50% (limiter). This way when you've used 1.5gb you'll be warned....you can note to yourself.....are you one week into your plan? Or one day?!! Again at 50% (3gb) your data will shut off. Are you two weeks in? This also a chance to review your apps for data usage and see what's using most of your data and limit your use of the ones that are high users....and try to use them when you're on wifi only. Then reset these again remember that you now have 3gb left and set the warning and limiter accordingly.

If you have WiFi assist or the android equivalent enabled turn it off. You don't need to be using mobile data accidently when you have access to wifi. Go thru your apps and turn off all background data usage this is just a waste of data and you won't notice any real difference in your apps performance  (and you'll see how much data you're really wasting in background data usage.) Stay on top of this kind of data tracking and occasionally compare your phone's data tracking to the data counter in your account and you'll find it won't be off by much. You should be able to stay well within your data means...and keep your plan with full speed 4G LTE. 

You won't be able to add the Canada wide calling option to your plan builder but you can add the $5/500min calling add on and it will kick in whenever you need to make an outgoing long distance call out of province. This will stay on your account until completely depleted. If its a friend or family member your calling and they have unlimited canada wide calling you can always ask that they call you back!

Melissamuiser

one plus 5T

What kind of phone do you have?

Melissamuiser

data.jpg

@Melissamuiser wrote:

I think i was miss understood here. I never said public mobile was stealing from me. When my phone says I have only used 1G of data and my data usually last me a month. I am thinking there is a glitch and someone could look into my data usage. Maybe my ohone isnt keeping track properly. I am not frustrated or placing blame. I am just conserned i paid nearly 80 dollars this month for 2gs.

If you think that there is a discrepancy in your data consumption contact a moderator.

Here’s  how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative):

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@Melissamuiser wrote:

I have been trying to go back to a 90 day billing and i no longer can find those options either. did the website make changes

@Melissamuiser There are no more 90 day plans. Only people that had them before get to keep them. If you/they change plans for any reason, you lose the ability to go back to it. Did you change plans accidentally or otherwise?

Melissamuiser

I think i was miss understood here. I never said public mobile was stealing from me. When my phone says I have only used 1G of data and my data usually last me a month. I am thinking there is a glitch and someone could look into my data usage. Maybe my ohone isnt keeping track properly. I am not frustrated or placing blame. I am just conserned i paid nearly 80 dollars this month for 2gs.

Melissamuiser

screen.png

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Melissamuiser 

I can understand your frustration with this, a lot of users have the issue of not knowing what’s using their data. For example, Apple has a feature called Wi-Fi Assist which uses cellular data sometimes even when you’re on Wi-Fi. You can see your data usage below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/viewUsageChangePlan/

If you prepaid for 6 GB then you’ll get 6, PM isn’t in the business of stealing your data. I would make sure you set your phone to not use cellular for things like backups or for 80% of your apps that don’t need to use cellular data. Since PM is prepaid there aren’t any refunds. Your plan already includes unlimited Canada wide calling. If you want to change your plan, then your only options are the ones on this page:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/

@Melissamuiser you should consider changing plans to one of the more current 3g plans. you can have $50(48 autopay)/8.5gb or $45/6.5gb every 30 days. or migrate to Koodo for $55/6gb if you need full LTE which I highly doubt you'll need

@Melissamuiser  You're right that it is a 30-day plan, but please don't post screenshots of yoru account information such as your phone number.

There are no longer any 90-day plans or full-speed LTE plans to switch to.

Melissamuiser

I have been trying to go back to a 90 day billing and i no longer can find those options either. did the website make changes

Melissamuiser

edited by computergeek541: removed phone number

@Melissamuiser wrote:
  • This plan includes: -
  • - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 6GB at 4G LTE Speed
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

I'm almost certain that isn't a 30 day plan. I believe that the 30-day LTE plans capped out at 5GB.

If this is a 90-day plan, you don't get 6GB per 30 days.

Melissamuiser
  • This plan includes: -
  • - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 6GB at 4G LTE Speed
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If your data was working then stops that means you have used up the data in your plan.  

The data tracker in selfserve is quite accurate apart from a couple mb of cache.   That is what is considered usage not what shows on your phone.

If you use android install data witness pm to track your data.

All plans include Canada wide calling.

@Melissamuiser It's been asked already, what plan are you on?

@Melissamuiser wrote:

I get a text message saying that i have used 75% of my data when my phone says i have only used 1g of data. Then 95% then it turns off and I am unable to use the 6gs i have paid for.

Can you give us a screenshot of your plan in self service. Blank out all personal info.

Example

63C023FB-6A78-4474-8565-14C39EBA5B18.png

Melissamuiser

Then i forked out another 15 dollars to get another 1g on my plan when i shouldn't have

@Melissamuiser wrote:

I get a text message saying that i have used 75% of my data when my phone says i have only used 1g of data. Then 95% then it turns off and I am unable to use the 6gs i have paid for.

Which plan are you on? There have been some one-time bonuses recently.

Melissamuiser

@Melissamuiser wrote:

I have a couple issues. This month i paid for for 6gs of data I only got 1 and because i was at work i had to pay for another 1g to get through the work day. my phone data says i used 2.45 gs of data. I would like a refund for the data that I paid for and never got.Will this happen again next month? This may have happening in the past months i seem to keep running out of data.

When i go to change my plan there is no option to get canada wide calling.  When i change my account there is no more options to build your own plan anymore.

Sorry, but there are no refunds. If you're saying that you never used all of your 6GB, unused plan data is wasted if not used by the end of the billing cycle.

If you're saying that you had to buy an add-on, that would normally mean that you ran out of data and used more than your plan includes.

I am unsure what you mean you paid for 6GB but only got 1GB. What plan are you on?

Need Help? Let's chat.