cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Once-a-Year Plan

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is not a question but a teaser for discussion on the viability of a plan that you pay on a once-a-year basis. I stumbled on this on AT&T (US) which offers this for $300 per year: see the snapshot and weblink below:

https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/

Yearly Plan AT&T.jpg

Indeed, the US and Canadian markets are different and I’m also not aware of any PM enthusiasts keen on such a plan, yet the introduction of such a plan by PM merits some consideration for the reasons below:

• It helps PM process a payment on just a once-a-year basis and simultaneously be assured of a user’s commitment for one year.
  • The user also enjoys the benefit of just once-a-year payment and be done with it. Indeed, some discount for a yearly plan would be necessary to make it attractive.

Please note that it’s not a change in the content (like the amount of Data of 2GB or 4GB etc.) but essentially a change in the frequency of payment. Any ideas for or against?

PS. How about PM launching a pilot project with just fifty users to evaluate it.

@Catherine_T  @Tiana_V 

13 REPLIES 13

JoJo626
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is what I'm wanting.  Yearly payment!  Does public offer this?  

@Luddite 

Yes I am quite familiar with the inside of the Lounge. Its very comfy looking out at the world go by through the window.

@AE_Collector "But we were promised some “Big Things“ for 2020 which so far haven't really materialized."

You mean you haven't noticed the new Lounge & Community boards; to say nothing of the new $30 2gb plan and price reduction for data add-ons! 🤣

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@sa7375 I support your idea. It would be awesome to pay once, save some $, and not to worry about failed Autopay. At the same time, PM gets a 1 year revenue from a customer. Everyone wins.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sa7375 I've always wanted something like this. There are also a lot of other users that want something like this.

I'm guessing the rewards would have to be applied every yearly renweal.

If anything they should bring back 90 day plans.

With yearly plans there are a few complications. If you want to switch plans or leave you have to wait your whole year. Also when you first signup you wont get your autopay reward untill next year.

In my mind PM isn’t known for carefully wording things to avoid confusion whether it is plan wording such as 1 month versus 30 days or any off a myriad of poorly worded promotions in the past.

An Optional variation of any or all of existing plans to have an annual bucket of data rather than a 30 day bucket would have appeal to many. It effectively makes it a version of Roll Over Data with the flexibility that comes with that. If that means paying for a year in advance to turn it into a 365 day data bucket then I would think there should likely also be an additional small discount to the total price OR an additional “Annual Plan” reward to reduce the price slightly. Maybe the $24 Autopay reward would double or triple the normal amount giving the person who prepay a year an additional $2 or $4 monthly equivalent reward on top of the normal $2 Autopay Reward.

There would be new problems created with this scheme though. There certainly would be people on the 365 day version of the $25 plan who just a few months in decide they need to move up to a bigger plan and there is no provision for this besides walking away from the remaining time. Logically one would stretch their data bucket out until it hits empty and then renew on whatever plan they want to move to whether it be a 30 or 365 day plan. So the same as now really, just part of a year rather than part of a month. Maybe then larger data add-ons would need to be an option as well.

Likely all Pie in the Sky as PM doesn’t lead the pack on innovation. But we were promised some “Big Things“ for 2020 which so far haven't really materialized.

AE_Collector

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

7-11 Speakout has $25 credit with $100 topup a few times per year. 

Freedom has the $99 per year talk/text plan

It is fine if you don't mind to be locked in for 1 year.

I don't think PM will give any discount for paying plan fees in advance as PM rewards are discount without forcing us to pay ahead.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would be up for a longer renewal if there is a bit of savings for taking the risk of a longer term.  Sadly with the way this service has evolved, I just don't see this happening or even being considered for implementation.  When I joined, 90 day plans were the thing.  Now, they are gone.  Interestingly, the customer was to blame for the 90 day plan being eliminated.  Customers were apparently confused by how the data bucket worked.  Maybe it was a bit of confirmation bias at work, but many thought the data bucket was reset every 30 days even though the term was 90 days long.  

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@sa7375 wrote:

This is not a question but a teaser for discussion on the viability of a plan that you pay on a once-a-year basis. I stumbled on this on AT&T (US) which offers this for $300 per year: see the snapshot and weblink below:

https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/

Yearly Plan AT&T.jpg

Indeed, the US and Canadian markets are different and I’m also not aware of any PM enthusiasts keen on such a plan, yet the introduction of such a plan by PM merits some consideration for the reasons below:

• It helps PM process a payment on just a once-a-year basis and simultaneously be assured of a user’s commitment for one year.
  • The user also enjoys the benefit of just once-a-year payment and be done with it. Indeed, some discount for a yearly plan would be necessary to make it attractive.

Please note that it’s not a change in the content (like the amount of Data of 2GB or 4GB etc.) but essentially a change in the frequency of payment. Any ideas for or against?

PS. How about PM launching a pilot project with just fifty users to evaluate it.

@Catherine_T  @Tiana_V 

@sa7375 yea that may be great for the few who have the money to do that

@kselmak Oh I understand I can deposit a year's worth of payments and forget about it but I envisage a discount for paying the whole year up front.

@kb_mv 

I know somebody who does pay once a year payment

She's on autopay so if she forgets it should back her up when the year is up.

She switched from 711 just after they announced they are getting rid of 10 plan, she's really happy with her savings so far

Anonymous
Not applicable

iirc 7-Eleven has a way to have a payment last a year.

The little Telus pre-paid plan has the $100 top-up that lasts a year.

I would then suggest this idea be a 96gb bucket (in this case) that lasts a year like the old 90 day plans here.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@sa7375 I would opt in to a once a year payment. Think of the decrease in autopay renewal failures lol. Great idea.

Need Help? Let's chat.