cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Sim in iPad data not working

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

33 REPLIES 33

These threads about the same issue have been merged.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great news and I'm sure this will help out someone else in the same predicament. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your hard won data!

BEER

BEER

BEER

@Triguy wrote:

Your Ipad maybe limited to 3G.

The data speed will match the speed of the data that is included as part of your rate plan. If your rate plan doesn’t include data, the Add-On will default to be at 4G LTE Speed. 

Yup ..for the reason you mentioned for my iPad I only have the basic no data $10 plan in order to get data at 4 G speeds. However because of the problems I will stick the Sim in one of my older phones and just use the hot spot feature until I use up the data. The iPad works fine on wifi. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your Ipad maybe limited to 3G.

The data speed will match the speed of the data that is included as part of your rate plan. If your rate plan doesn’t include data, the Add-On will default to be at 4G LTE Speed. 

BEER

@GinYVR wrote:

Just note iPad 3G will only connect to 3G networks since it doesn't have LTE, so it would depend on the tower in your area (congestion etc). The latest carrier update is 36.0.1.

That may be it — the 1 GB bonus data I was led to believe is 4G. So perhaps the reason iTunes can’t find and update to 4G may be because the iPad won’t accept 4G speeds. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Just note iPad 3G will only connect to 3G networks since it doesn't have LTE, so it would depend on the tower in your area (congestion etc). The latest carrier update is 36.0.1.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@BEERhi you could  contact Moderator_Team via SIMon ? mark bubble bottom right of the screen to submit a ticket and get them to look into it for youSmiley Happy

BEER

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Is it possible this is being recreated by Apple's updates? Have you hooked up to itunes since this last outage? Is there a carrier update?

Same old song and dance... couldn't resist! Hugh Crue fan! 

iTunes keeps searching but can’t find the carrier update for Public Mobile. Like you said it’s the same old song and dance but I think PM should look into this and fix it. 

Is it possible this is being recreated by Apple's updates? Have you hooked up to itunes since this last outage? Is there a carrier update?

Same old song and dance... couldn't resist! Hugh Crue fan! 

BEER

Have in past several times posted my problems with connecting my iPad 2 using PM sim with data. 

All worked fine for a while but since  I received the 1 GB PM data promo all went south again.  

---And yes I have changed the APN to sp.mb.com.  

---Have rebooted the iPad several times.

-- In settings under Cellular Data it shows "Manage TELUS Account"

---In settings under carrier it does show Public Mobile.

---Connected to iTunes BUT itunes to no avail, keeps searcing and searching looking to update carrier settings.

-- At the top left screen it shows full bars and "Public Mobile 3G"

I'm not loosing sleep over this but why is this happening - Is PM only for cell phones?

The iPad works great and connects to the internet with just a regular Bell Canada Sim.

Threads merged (same topic)

BEER

Thanks but all that was done.  Not a big deal because I don’t use the iPad much and it does work perfectly with WIFI.  However I do want to resolve this problem - just perhaps I have a bit of OCD HA HA HA . 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@BEERHere is how I got my iPad to work with Public Mobile.. I am doing this on an iPad Pro with 12.4

Put your SIM card into the iPad

Go to Cellular Data

You should see this:

IMG_0039.PNG

Click on APN settings:

iPad APN settingsiPad APN settings

Then you should be able to use Safari.

However Telus blocked shared hotspot.

IMG_0041.PNG

BEER

@Luddite wrote:

@BEER Swap SIMs with one of your phones. Maybe the SIM is pooched.

Thanks for suggestion --- Also tried that - it seems it doesn't like PM - as previously mentioned - it works with Bell Sim - works bu WIFI - and also works by Personal Hot Spot  -- but will not work with PM Sim card --very strange.

BEER

Hey...hey...hey -- good suggestion -----  Using the same Sim that doesn't work in the iPad and inserting it in my old iPhone 3c and creating a hot spot data connection the ipad works fine . Wondering if the problem could be that somehow it's still set to my old Telus account that I had several years ago ---- have completely re-set several times back to factory settings but in settings under Cellular Data it always  shows "Manage TELUS account".  Very strange!

@BEER Swap SIMs with one of your phones. Maybe the SIM is pooched.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

We just use the cellphone hotspot function and get the data to work on the ipad. Don't know if this will help you.

Good luck.

BEER

I have previosly posted and discussed the subject regarding my problems connecting my iPad 2 by PM Data.

I had previously concluded that the problem most likely was due to the fact that my iPad 2 is an older model. And yes I have set my APN to sp.mb.com and then to isp.mb.com - have also tried to include my PM account and password but each time it connects by data for a few seconds and then disconnects.  Also of interest in Data settings it has a link "Manage TELUS Account" but when I try it it shows "Connection Failed".

HOWEVER -----

(1) The ipad works great when connected to WIFI am able to watch you-tube videos, TV etc.  

(2) Have just tried it with a Bell Sim card  and with it it also works great.

(3) It seems that my iPad doesn't like the PM Data -  could the reason perhaps be that my PM data  3G is too slow?

@BEER You could also just hotspot off your phone. Not what you paid for, but a workaround.

@BEER Just a wild thought that the carrier profile my be wrong. Perhaps the iPhone 4 workaround would work? 

Failing that perhaps look through this list for things you haven't tried yet.

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles; details for iPhones here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight/true#M24565

- check network is not set to 2G; use auto, 3G, or LTE

- check for operating system updates

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

BEER

@iliketotalk wrote:

@BEER ok if thats  the case do a network reset if you haven't already 

I think the problem may be that my iPad 2 is too old and the latest updates are not compatible. Able to connect to yahoo and safari etc but not to Google . When I try Google I get a pop up security alert.  Discovered that many apps wont even load including the simple Gas Buddy app.  It's sad but a fact of life now that the expensive electronics one buys are made obsolete in a couple of years just so you are forced to buy a replacement.

BEER

@GinYVR wrote:

@BEERYour iPad could have been blacklisted.

No - I did buy it brand new a few years ago.

BEER

@Luddite wrote:

@BEER Zounds, that's expensive data - $60/gb. Robot surprised

Actually in my case 250 mb / month is plenty because I mostly use WIFI and only use the data if I'm in the car or somewhere without WIFI. I  use data only for retrieving my email and the occasionall google look up etc. I never use my data for utube or movies etc because then it would be eaten up in 10 minutes or so.

PS. For GPS. I also use google maps offline map so no data required for that either. 

@BEER Zounds, that's expensive data - $60/gb. Robot surprised

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@BEERthatss odd if you had it working and then it stopped it has been suggested that pm is not the way to go for tablets but I am wondering if you are running a third party app that is interfering with your data such as a data counter for example

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER , check the self serve to make sure there is data left.  Otherwise sp.mb.com is the right APN.  Public Mobile does not care what device is used with the service.  BTW, smart money does not use Public Mobile plans on a tablet.  Think person's best friend.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@BEER ok if thats  the case do a network reset if you haven't already 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@BEERYour iPad could have been blacklisted.

Need Help? Let's chat.