cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharging minutes

elhota
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just noticed that the minutes that are being charged is more than what the minutes are showing in my phone.  For example, there was a call that is showing 0:58 in my phone.  And the detail usage in my account detail usage summary is 1:12.

Does anyone else notice this?  So basically I am going to be charged 2 minutes instead of 1.  It seems that I'm getting fleeced on the minutes left and right. 

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:
I think this place is still using an older cell phone provider system (kept together with baling twine and bandaids). ?

Yes, clearly!

@Anonymous wrote:
The old by the minute way was from the old days. Now the better providers have by the second. (as far as I recall)

I could be wrong (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), but I think most/all Canadian providers now bill calls by the minute, rounded up to the nearest full minute [basically:  ceiling(actual_call_time) ].  In the oldy days of mobile, we were billed by the min, then most companies moved to by the second, but I'm pretty sure they have all gradually migrated back to by the minute. 

This does harken back to my thought that in 2019, you should not be able to buy a plan with a finite number of minutes per month.  All plans should include either the option of unlimited Canada-wide talk, or no talk.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Steve58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry. I didn't mean "free"😆, just "unlimited" talk plans. Brain fart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Steve58 wrote:

With all the free unlimited talk minute plans out there, you'd think PM would follow Home Depot's policy of rounding down at the cash register in favour of the customer. It's just good public relations. PM should at the very least not round up to the next minute but charge for every second connected. Instead they come off as a greedy penny pinchers. That looks really bad. I know it's been the industry practice for many years. But don't you think it's time for public mobile 2 take the lead and change this deplorable industry practice. That would be good PR

I think this place is still using an older cell phone provider system (kept together with baling twine and bandaids). The old by the minute way was from the old days. Now the better providers have by the second. (as far as I recall)

And what "free unlimited talk plans"?

tqlam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The charge starts from the signal sends out until ends (connection time), but the talk time you see on your phone.

@Steve58 I suppose if they start selling building materials they may consider it lol

Steve58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With all the free unlimited talk minute plans out there, you'd think PM would follow Home Depot's policy of rounding down at the cash register in favour of the customer. It's just good public relations. PM should at the very least not round up to the next minute but charge for every second connected. Instead they come off as a greedy penny pinchers. That looks really bad. I know it's been the industry practice for many years. But don't you think it's time for public mobile 2 take the lead and change this deplorable industry practice. That would be good PR

@RobertQc , yes on my phone having some issues lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@elhota wrote:

I just noticed that the minutes that are being charged is more than what the minutes are showing in my phone.  For example, there was a call that is showing 0:58 in my phone.  And the detail usage in my account detail usage summary is 1:12.

Does anyone else notice this?  So basically I am going to be charged 2 minutes instead of 1.  It seems that I'm getting fleeced on the minutes left and right. 

Edited hit post instead of quote

Your phone timer starts when the call had connected.  PM counts the connection time as well.  So even during time is included with PM counts

@ShawnC13  That was what I was thinking too, from the time your phone establishes a connection with the network, but the phone itself only counts from the time the call is active and answered.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here are the Terms of service: https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mobile_Terms_of_Service.pdf

It is unfortunate, but it does say that : Voice airtime is calculated, for both incoming and outgoing calls, from the time the call is initiated to the time it is disconnected, including the
time used to route the call through the network and any ring time. The airtime for each voice call is rounded up to the nearest minute. 

@ShawnC13  #Qualitypost 😛

quality.png

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@elhota wrote:

Your call does not include dialing the number but public mobile does? I know at least it rounds up. Maybe someone on the 50 minute plan like @Anonymous can chime in, he has a pretty good grasp on these concepts. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@elhota wrote:

Edited hit post instead of quote

Your phone timer starts when the call had connected.  PM counts the connection time as well.  So even dialing time is included with PM counts

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.