cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged

emily_gry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, 

I was just overcharged when adding funds to my Public Mobile account to pay for my next pay period of July-Sept. My plan price is $120/3 months for unlimited talk and text plus 12 GB of data, but my bank account was charged $135.60 today (June 16th, 2019). 

I decided to look back at my other payments to Public Mobile after this, and I have been consistently overcharged. 

June 1st, 2019 - charged $33.90 for the $30 1GB Data Add-On

March 27th, 2019 - $125.43

September 25th, 2018 - $118.65 (actually below the price, though this may have been because of Rewards points)

June 18th, 2018 - $135.60

March 29th, 2018 - $128.82

December 29th, 2017 - $135.60

September 28th, 2017 - $128.82

Can a MOD please explain why this is the case to me?? I really don’t understand why I am not being charged the amount that I am agreeing to. I am very upset at the lack of transparency here. 

Thanks,

Emily

19 REPLIES 19

@sarapelrine wrote:

Okay if it's taxes that are being added on (which is understandable, we pay tax on basically everything) why is it that I'm being charged two different amounts for the SAME monthly plan?

I have a phone with PM and my husband has a phone with PM - we both are on the $25 plan. Both payments come out of my credit card so I'm unsure as to which one is which but one is being charged $26.45 every mon tth and one is being charged $25.30 every month. 

Two phones - Two plans that are IDENTICAL with two different charges. 

You both have an autopay credit of $2 and one of them has an additional $1 referral credit.

One is paying $23 + tax (23X1.15 = 26.45)

One is paying $22 + tax (22X1.15 = 25.30)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarapelrine wrote:

Okay if it's taxes that are being added on (which is understandable, we pay tax on basically everything) why is it that I'm being charged two different amounts for the SAME monthly plan?

I have a phone with PM and my husband has a phone with PM - we both are on the $25 plan. Both payments come out of my credit card so I'm unsure as to which one is which but one is being charged $26.45 every month and one is being charged $25.30 every month. 

The lesser charge would suggest you referred the higher charge account. You got a $1 reward for that.

You appear to have autopay for $2 on both. Then the lesser charge has another $1 off.

sarapelrine
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a phone with PM and my husband has a phone with PM - we both are on the $25 plan. Both payments come out of my credit card so I'm unsure as to which one is which but one is being charged $26.45 every month and one is being charged $25.30 every month. 

Nicko343
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am facing the same problem and mine has nothing to do with taxes ooo, as the saying to each his own 

Rahma

hi 

i am new to join public mobile and I chose 10$ plan

and you charged me 10$ side and 8$ other side twice 

in my account i can see that i found 10$ reward 

can you please provide me more details about that 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

In Canada, always assume there is tax on top unless you are told otherwise.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The attached screenshot of the $40 feature plan is below.  In the details, it say Taxes are extra.

0A117EBA-2854-47AB-AA7A-B1FC737A5D57.png

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@emily_gry wrote:

Okay thanks everyone for the replies - I understand it now. Jeez some of y'all are hostile... but thank you anyway!

I just reviewed all posts here again and really don’t see anything hostile in any of them. In your original post you said:

“Can a MOD please explain why this is the case to me?? I really don’t understand why I am not being charged the amount that I am agreeing to. I am very upset at the lack of transparency here.”

You asked in a slightly ... shall we say annoyed with the company manner and we answered as requested. Remember, we aren’t Public Mobile, we are customers just like you helping each other out.

Terry 

They probably meant mine. My intention wasn't hostile, but more of frustration. These threads get posted constantly just because PM doesn't expressly state "plus applicable taxes" adding those three words would save people the anguish and save these threads from being constantly posted. Wasn't meant as hostile though!

If they'd read it. Everything is all written for buying add-ons but do people keep asking "hey where's my add-on?"...yes they do.

That's true, but at least if they did write that at least it might reduce the number of "Help, I've been overcharged and I am very angry about it and demand you pay me back instantly" threads slightly.

Psygineer

@emily_gry wrote:

Okay thanks everyone for the replies - I understand it now. Jeez some of y'all are hostile... but thank you anyway!

Sorry if you meant mine! It wasn't meant as hostile. Just I've seen this exact thread so often that PM really should just mention that taxes are extra. I mean in reality it should be expected and they shouldn't have to, but when they say "Amount Due" it sounds definitive and leads to confusion like yours. Again sorry if you meant mine! Cat Happy (Happy Cat to show not hostile!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@emily_gry wrote:

I just reviewed all posts here again and really don’t see anything hostile in any of them. In your original post you said:

“Can a MOD please explain why this is the case to me?? I really don’t understand why I am not being charged the amount that I am agreeing to. I am very upset at the lack of transparency here.”

You asked in a slightly ... shall we say annoyed with the company manner and we answered as requested. Remember, we aren’t Public Mobile, we are customers just like you helping each other out.

Terry 

They probably meant mine. My intention wasn't hostile, but more of frustration. These threads get posted constantly just because PM doesn't expressly state "plus applicable taxes" adding those three words would save people the anguish and save these threads from being constantly posted. Wasn't meant as hostile though!

If they'd read it. Everything is all written for buying add-ons but do people keep asking "hey where's my add-on?"...yes they do.

Psygineer

@AE_Collector wrote:

@emily_gry wrote:

Terry 

@emily_gry wrote:

Terry 

emily_gry

Until the Canadian Governments (federal and provincial, and territorial) decide that VAT is going to be placed on everything, you should just assume taxes are added.

Public Mobile doesn't hide the fact that taxes are added at the time of purchase, and all carriers advertise prices without taxes other their plans also.

This hasn't changed in Public Mobile's history since I've started, and I do not expect it to change anytime soon.  I also don't require an invoice stating taxes, as this is my personal device, and I am responsible for paying it for myself.

If you want taxes shown, go to a carrier that does that - invoices are provided at the larger carriers.

Psygineer

I do agree that PM should say the grand total after taxes on peoples accounts so that these kinds of threads will finally stop being posted on regular basis. All these fake overcharge threads likely will scare away people from PM thinking PM is up to shady things when it is simply people don't understand that taxes are also paid on mobile phone service too. I mean when you go to a store and the shelf says the item costs $10, when you go to the register and pay for it and it comes to $11.30 no one asks for the manager and cries out they have been overcharged because the taxes are expected. This issue could very easily be fixed just by adding a line of text to the account page "plus applicable taxes" after the amount owing. Right now it is a bit confusing and I feel bad for people that needlessly get all worked up because they were confused that "Amount Due of $10" shows up as "$11.30" on they credit card statement rather than either the true Amount due showing on the account page or the aforementioned line "plus applicable taxes." I'm pretty sure those three little words would save people a lot of needless anguish and frustration. Anyway, long story short OP, don't worry about it, everything is fine, you were not overcharged, just the taxman cometh and the taxman taketh away.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

The good news is they don’t have to charge the tax on any of the reward credit amounts. Sometimes you see where tax has to be charged on totals even if something is discounted. Used to always see that at Costco when something was on sale.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily_gry 

As in your other thread about the data add-on...I'm guessing you're in ON. You pay 13% taxes. 30 * 1.13 = 33.90

Same with your plan

120 * 1.13 = 135.60

The numbers that appear in the self-serve are all before taxes.

The other amounts may be due to rewards. But if you think you should have those lesser amounts due to rewards then you'll need to contact the moderators here to straighten that out.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

nobody is trying to pull the wool over your eyes there is tax involved

GR
Mayor / Maire

The difference is the tax!  You pay tax on the plans according to the location of your phone number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.