cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Country for Months - Plan Options While Away

Lavinea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'll be out of Canada for just over 2 months, however it'll be time to renew my plan on the 20th.

While I'm away, I may choose to use some of the plan add-ons, so I don't want to temporarily de-activate my account.

I noticed you can set your plan to give you no services for 30 days for $10, is this the option I should be changing my plan to so I can use the add-ons later? If I change to this option, will I lose the rewards I've acquired on my account?

Thank you for any and all help!

8 REPLIES 8

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Elaborating on @mimmo's suggestions above, you can use voip apps such as Fongo or Google Hangout Dialer to make free calls back to Canada using data or wifi.  Since you said you are going for 2 months, it will be a lot more cost effective to pick up a sim card in the states and leave your Canadian PM account suspended.  

I would only recommend you keep the PM line active while you are away if you really need to remain reachable on your PM phone number while you are away.  

mimmo

@Lavinea  I woudl lookinto getting a local sim while in teh USA.  PM addons are costly and only valid for 10 day at a time.  local sims are always cheaer tahn addons or roamlike home offers.

There are other options like roam mobiiity, chatsim  etc..

also visit shownotes.ca and look at the travel section there is some good info there. (seems to be an error at teh moment on teh link so check it out in a bit)  it a tech guy who does a radio show.

imm1304

You're welcome!  Have a wonderful trip 🙂

Lavinea

That's exactly what I was just typing up as a suggested solution, thank you for your help!

imm1304

You can not use add-ons unless you are on an active plan.  

I guess you can change plan to data only or text only before you leave and then you can purchase the US roaming add-on to use in the states.  

Be warned that if you are on an old plan that is no longer offered, you will lose it once you change plans.  In that case, you willl have to select from the plans available when you come back.  

Lavinea

I meant while I'm away I may be looking to use the add-ons for texting/calling in the United States.

mimmo

yup just follow the suggestion  above. remove auto pay and just add funds before teh 90 days.

this s a great read https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

imm1304

Hi @Lavinea!

I think the best approach for you would be to just let your plan expire and the account get suspended due to non-payment.  This will involve disabling autopay if you are enrolled in it.  You will be back in 2 months and then simply make the payment and reactivate.  Your unused add-ons will become accessible again when you reactivate.

The $10 for no call/text/data option is not a valid plan.. its just showing you how the plan costs are being calculated.  You won't actually be able to select it as your plan if you proceed.  So that is not an option.  Any valid plan must include at least 1 service i.e.call, text, or data.  

You will not get autopay reward if you disable it. Community and referral rewards will also be paused while your account is suspended. Your commnity and referral rewards will rsume once you reactivate your account.  Your loyalty reward will be delayed in future by the number of months your account was in suspension.  

Need Help? Let's chat.