cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered SIM card. Thought I would be able to port my existing number.

msyed007
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! 

I have ordered SIM card online. Thought I would be able to port my existing number to the new sim card. But it seems I gotta wait until it arrives and needs to be activated at that point. My current plan with other carrier will be deactivated tonight. I wanted to buy a Public Mobile number to keep my number activated. I am worried if I would have to lose that number. If i am unable to port the number right away, I have to cancel the SIM order. Please help.

9 REPLIES 9

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@msyed007 wrote:

Fido is my current provider. I called them today and asked them to cancel my plan. It will disconnected tonight. 

Rule number 1:  Don't call your current privider if you want to keep your phone number.  Call Fido ASAP to cancel the cancellation.

After you ported your number to your new provider, your Fido account will be canceled automatically.  Fido don't need to know ahead of time that you are leaving unless you want to get a better deal with their retention department.

sndsrc

I would call Fido right away and see if they can undo the cancellation.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

the only other thing I can think of is port your number to one of those cheap or sometime free voip providers maybe some community members may have some suggestion?

GR
Mayor / Maire

Go to Walmart or superstore to buy a Sim card now and set it up. Pick a new number, after the activation when everything works go back in your new account and select change number and port it in from Fido!  If everything goes right it should be done and working in a few hours.  If by tonight the port is not done and you didn't receive a text from public mobile saying your port is complete you'll still have time to call Fido so they won't cancel it. 

@msyed007 wrote:

Fido is my current provider. I called them today and asked them to cancel my plan. It will disconnected tonight. 

If your Fido is cacelled you won't be able to port that number to PM. Can't you keep it paid up for 1 more month on the cheapest plan they have ?

msyed007

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@msyed007 wrote:

Hello! 

I have ordered SIM card online. Thought I would be able to port my existing number to the new sim card. But it seems I gotta wait until it arrives and needs to be activated at that point. My current plan with other carrier will be deactivated tonight. I wanted to buy a Public Mobile number to keep my number activated. I am worried if I would have to lose that number. If i am unable to port the number right away, I have to cancel the SIM order. Please help.

@msyed007 You are playing with fire. Smiley Happy Best to keep your existing account active if you don't want to lose your number. Who is your current provider?

Lolow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, your existing account needs to be active to port your number.  Can you keep your existing provider till next month, and port then, after your SIM arrives?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@msyed007 wrote:

Hello! 

If you must have the old number, you'll have to keep that account up to date until the port is complete. You'll just have to pay another month to your old plan for now.

Need Help? Let's chat.