cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating my phone number outside Canada

harjjumend
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dear Friends,

I will be visiting India and other countries. Under my current CAD 15 monthly plan, how can I receive calls being outside Canada? Is there any add-on or other plan? Will I be able to do sms from other countries?

Dr. Hasrat Arjjumend

6 REPLIES 6

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with @Luddite get Fongo or TextNow

My wife just got back from Guetemala. I got her a TravelSim from Amazon before she left. I set her up with a TextNow account. Just before leaving Cda, she forwarded her PM number to textnow. While in Guetemala she was able to make/receive calls to Cdn numbers. Texts worked fine on her new number. Facetime and iMessage were unaffected and just worked normally.

Even if you don't get the SIM until after you arrive, you can set up TextNow ahead of time before you leave. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

In case you are still seeking a solution here's the one I use.

• Just before leaving I forward all calls to my fongo.com number (it's free and I turn on deliver voicemail to my email address).
  • While away I check for messages on free wifi, or with the local carrier. I always take a local SIM that includes data.
  • I can even use the fongo number to call anyone in Canada while on wifi, or cellular data.
  • You could also use Textnow; it is a slightly better free service.

As you have just the $15 plan you may need to add the $5 for 500 minutes add-on because call forwarding counts as outgoing calling.

Enjoy your visit.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jluong9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Unfortunately their isn't a roaming add on or plan for roaming in India just only within Canada and the US. 

However, you could use WhatsApp or even Facebook Messenger. Those are great options. If you're using an iPhone you could just use iMessage and FaceTime as well to. 

Other than that I would suggest getting a local sim card.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@harjjumend 

PM SIM card will not work in India. Get a local SIM card when you arrive at your destination.

My family member uses WhatsApp over wifi at the airport or hotel to communication with the family before getting a local SIM card.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@harjjumend  Unfortunately your phone will not work in India. You will need to purchase a local sim card. You can check your voicemail by calling PM's voicemail number via long distace call and that's about it.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@harjjumend wrote:

Dear Friends,

I will be visiting India and other countries. Under my current CAD 15 monthly plan, how can I receive calls being outside Canada? Is there any add-on or other plan? Will I be able to do sms from other countries?

Dr. Hasrat Arjjumend

You can't. It'll only work in Canada or U.S. if you buy a U.S. roaming add-on. Otherwise, buy a sim where you're travelling to get service from another carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.