cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old $15 PLAN

buang99
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I realize last week that I had the old $15 plan in my account and immediately switch to the new one. I have also noticed that my data have lasted a lot longer since I switched. The changes on data usage was very noticeable. It felt like the old $15 plan had 50-100mb of data.  Anyone know if I could check my mobile data usage for the past few months? If anyone on PM can check on this that would be awesome. 

8 REPLIES 8

buang99
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is actually my first assumption. However, I have not notice any changes in speed since I switched although it might be hard to notice. 

And yeah, as @computergeek541 mentioned it was advertised as 3g speed when i first availed the plan although i always get the lte icon when using data ever since. And that maybe because im close to a telus tower.

I even thought it was the background apps on my phone that are draining my data very quickly in the past few months. That turned out not to be the case since I switched to the new plan.

@Naepalm wrote:

@computergeek541 was it the more expensive plans then that were full LTE?

At one point, all plans had full LTE speed. When the "3g" speed plans were introduced, LTE plans were still availalbe in a custom plan builder site, although pricing and data allocation amounts differered.

@computergeek541 was it the more expensive plans then that were full LTE?

Thanks for the clarity, and overall it helped me look into the misconception that higher speeds consume more data 🙂

@Naepalm wrote:

The reason for you using less data is because your old plan would have had FULL LTE speeds.

This part isn't true. The $15 plan, even the old version, has always been a 3g-speed plan.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@buang99 

The reason for you using less data is because your old plan would have had FULL LTE speeds. When you move to a plan that is LTE but throttled to 3mb/s it does not draw as much data.

Found this article sorry wrong perception shared here: 

Many times, people have confused the data consumption rate and data volume between a 4G LTE network device and that of 3G networks, in other words, the data consumption rate between a device on 4G network and that of a device on 3G network.

And the general idea and the often wrong perception is that devices on 4G LTE network consume data more than those on 3G network.

The first thing that we would like you to know is that just as we indicated above “wrong perception” that is exactly what it is and if you also bear such notion, it is high-time you jettison it and know the fact about data consumption rate and data bundle/volume consumption.

Naepalm_0-1592930630286.jpeg

These types of notions often remind us of the other wrong notions that un-techy folks often harbour like those that believe that webmasters often make their money on the internet whenever web-visitors visit webpages with their internet data bundle, and that the data they use is being converted to cash and being credited to the webmaster account.

Back to today’s business, we are here to correct those wrong notions and set the record straight and clean.

If you are one of those folks out there that also want to know or that just feels that devices on 4G LTE network consume more data than those on 3G network then this post is exactly for you.

Firstly, there is different between data consumption rate or data burn rate and data volume/bundle consumption; the data consumption rate is the speed at which your data is being depleted while data volume/bundle is the size of your data packet at any given time, which are often given as Kilobyte (KB), Megabyte (MB) or Gigabyte (GB).

Now when people bear the false notions that 4G LTE network consumes more data than 3G networks, what they normally insinuate is that 4G LTE network consumes more data volume/bundle than 3G network, which is definitely not the case and it is rather the other way round that 4G LTE network is faster and therefore the data burn rate is faster than that of 3G network.

Must Read: Beware of poor internet network, it can make you run mad and make you feel that your system just mal...

Now to further clarify the wrong notion; when working with 4G LTE network, you will consume the same amount of data on a particular piece of work (browsing & downloading) as you would with 3G networks, but the only difference now is that you will accomplish your task faster with 4G LTE network than working with 3G network.

In other words if the question “does 4G LTE Network Devices Consume Internet Data More Than 3G Network?” is popped, the right answer should be no that neither 4G LTE network nor 3G network consume more data as the data bundle consumptions are the same but only that 4G LTE data burn rate is faster because it offers faster access to the internet and what both network gives is exactly what you get in return in terms of data consumption.

Finally, if you have let say a 10GB data bundle at your disposal on your device, the same amount of work, which you would use a 4G LTE network device to achieve with the 10GB data volume will be exactly the same amount of work that you would achieve while using the 10GB data volume on a 3G network and the only difference as mentioned above is that you would accomplish the task faster on 4G LTE network than on 3G network.

I find this with my own home internet.

I have FIBE (fibre optic) internet at home and use around 2TB a month for the internet, although everything is now connected to the internet in our home so that represents a big portion of the consumption.

This is not because I am actually surfing the web more or watching more TV. But, my speeds are 500mb/s download and 45mb/s upload. I'm only on the lower package I could move up to 1GB/s download and 80mb/s upload but I find right now I can upload a 20 min video to Vimeo in less than 12mins, so I don't need it at a higher speed. The higher speed the more data is consumed to get that speed 🙂

Have an amazing day!

@buang99 

If you use your data tracker onbyour phone you should be able to look back at each 30 day period for the past  6 months of so...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@buang99 , you can use the usage history.  That is simply a listing of usage, no summations.  It is going to be a lot of work for something that has already past.  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@buang99 you can "view my usage" in your self serve, but it doesn't show the exact time data was used. it combines your total data usage for the previous day. you should be able to look back as far as 30 days or you can choose the second option and choose the month and year by clicking the calendar

the reason it seems like you have more data is probably because you're on the throttled LTE. I've also noticed I use less data on the slower LTE speeds vs virgins full lte

Need Help? Let's chat.