cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Now that both Lucky and Chatr have unlimited data, when do you think Public will get this?

@Lowufo wrote:

I just had a look at the Lucky and Chatr sites and I see no mention of unlimited data. Their plans are very similar in price and offerings to Public Mobile

@Lowufo Below is the screenshot of Lucky Mobiles 25$ plan. Just like PM, its 500mb + bonus autopay 500 mb data allotment at '3G' speeds (throttled LTE at 3 mbps). But they have the unlimited data at 128 kbps. That speed is more than enough for whatsapp messaging, google maps and even spotify streaming. Yes, they dont have PM's 2$ autopay discount or referral or community rewards but for speefic users and their use case (i am one of them) it would be really helpfull.3.JPG

Mayor / Maire

Re: Now that both Lucky and Chatr have unlimited data, when do you think Public will get this?

@GinYVR wrote:

Unlimited additional data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data.

@GinYVR 128 Kbps is roughly double the old dial-up speeds of 56 Kbps... it would have to be some very light browsing to be even remotely usable at that speed. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

128kbps is also the nominal maximum. Actual performance sometimes briefly surges faster, more often it struggles with being slower. Depends on how quickly and how efficiently the network can compensate during always-changing real conditions.

Mayor / Maire

@srlawrenYup but that's the text from Lucky's web page. I am fine with Public Mobile having the fixed amount of data, especially since I am on Roger's plan for work.

@GinYVR wrote:

@srlawrenYup but that's the text from Lucky's web page. I am fine with Public Mobile having the fixed amount of data, especially since I am on Roger's plan for work.

@GinYVR here's the thing, adding unlimited throttled data has absolutely no downside for us customers. If you don't want to use slow throttled data, u don't have to use it. You can always renew your plan or buy the, may I say ridiculously priced, 1 gb data add on. For most ppl the fact tht u can still be online after u have used up your data - most times for me atleast its the last 1 or 2 days of my bill cycle. This helps me be connected to my family n friends over messaging apps and don't have to shell out extra money for it.

@will13am It's been over 2 months since lucky n chatr announced. Still nothin from PM.

Oracle

@maheshboloor wrote:

@will13am It's been over 2 months since lucky n chatr announced. Still nothin from PM.

I remain hopeful but not holding my breath of course.

@Korth wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

I think the issue came up a few years ago when Videotron decided to allow Spotify, etc. to not consume your data allowance. I'm not saying it's a bad thing in this instance, but it can be a touchy subject when a particular service (even internal) is not treated the same as another. 

Other providers offered "unlimited" Data before Lucky did, without any history of free-Spotify services.

I also doubt any special dedicated audio-streaming hardware was ever built into Videotron's network.

And compare vs Telus (and Koodo and Public) network which *does* have built-in transcoding hardware for "wireless video experience optimization"... I very much doubt any Telus company would ever offer free video streaming simply because they already have the hardware installed. 

That had nothing to do with Videotron having any "dedicated audio-streaming hardware" - they simply chose to exclude traffic from Spotify and a few other services from using up alloted data on their customers' plans (putting those services at an advantage over others). That was the core of the issue - that 1 GB of data for example isn't really 1 GB of data when you could use Spotify for hours and not "consume" any data as far as billing was concerned, whereas doing the same thing with another not zero-rated service would. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think they should offer the unlimited at throttled speed. My guess is that data add-on purchases would grow or people will upgrade their plans as most will become super frustrated with the slow speed.

What I would like to see offered is an unlimited 3G speed (3mbps on LTE). Same speed for the full plan. I would pay $100 to $125 for that. 

@smp99 wrote:

What I would like to see offered is an unlimited 3G speed (3mbps on LTE). Same speed for the full plan. I would pay $100 to $125 for that. 

@smp99 I personally think this will never happen with any carrier (even outside Canada). Although i would love if it did. This would lead to massive abuse of data and might lead to de-prioritization n congestion. For comparison, tmobile allows customers upto 50gb at full speed and throttle them once they go above it.