cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that both Lucky and Chatr have unlimited data, when do you think Public will get this?

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As it was Telus initially said "no" to unlimited data for a few days when Rogers and Bell brought it out...Then they did finally cave and follow suit. Now all 3 have bumped up their unlimited data options to 512kbps overage, which is plenty to run Spotify/Deezer on High setting.

Chatr had unlimited data for a while at 64kbps (which is often just low enough to not run Deezer fluidly on low) and now Lucky Mobile has followed suit but upped the offering to 128kbps, which is good enough to maintain sufficient speed for fluid audio. Currently all but the $15 Lucky (voice) plan has the unlimited data.

So it's a slow-moving iceberg, but now that the main 2 competitors have it, when do you think reluctant-old Telus will let PM follow suit? It's becoming difficult to be a loyal holdout.

170 REPLIES 170

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@smp99 It's like beating a dead horse at this point. If PM wanted to do it they would have don't it long time ago.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Bringing this thread back to life.

For many during these times, their cell data usage likely would have dropped dramatically since many are at home and are using mostly home WiFi.

But for many others without home WiFI, having access to communications, even slow access, would be so comforting. I am not suggesting that PM should be the answer to people's communications issues, but I don't think PM would be losing money if they offered unlimited throttled data on plans $40 or more. 

savvy

@Ben wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been using Opera Mini in extreme mode for the last few days, and it does seem to load pages faster than Chrome, it makes browsing at 128 kbps almost not bad. It's a bit buggy though, often when I tap on a link it will just reload the current page instead of opening the link, seems to happen about 25% of the time.

Yeah no problem. And I agree there are some buggy versions. I have a policy of never updating apps I heavily rely on, in case regressions/bugs creep in, so once I upgraded to a version that worked decently, I've never updated it since! lol. Some settings are worse than others in all versions - Extreme is the most buggy; set it to "High" and a lot of other stuff should work properly (there's only like a 10% difference really between the two). Can't say it'll fix the issue you have though. Myself I generally set it to Auto to set it and forget it and avoid a lot of page-related stuff getting broken along the way.

Ben
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@savvy wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Thanks. For anyone else thinking of doing this, I gotta warn you that 128 kbps is REALLY slow for web browsing, so only do this if you have the patience. Pages that are mostly text load ok but pages with lots of images or scripts are slow.

I think an ideal phone plan for me would have no high speed data, and just give you unlimited data at 1 Mbps.

Are you using Opera Mini browser with Turbo mode yet? After the initial "ping" or resolution or whatever, it feels like it loads 75% as fast as normal. I leave it on "Automatic" which ends up being 35% data savings usually, but at times I've gone up to Very High and it's like 40-60% less bandwidth required. At about 40% savings it's no loss of functionality on any pages, and it's built on the Chromium package (same as Google Chrome).

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been using Opera Mini in extreme mode for the last few days, and it does seem to load pages faster than Chrome, it makes browsing at 128 kbps almost not bad. It's a bit buggy though, often when I tap on a link it will just reload the current page instead of opening the link, seems to happen about 25% of the time.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541

GPS itself does not normally need data, it only needs satellites. But GPS software often attempts to use data anyhow, the cell towers act as "fixed" GPS repeaters (which seems kinda fishy to me, since GPS is all based on digital timing and telemetry, and since the base stations already identify each unique device through digital timing anyways, but it is what it is) for faster and better location accuracy.

You're right that things such as a celluar data connection will help with accuracy and faster a lock, but even without any internet connection at all, GPS will still work as long as the signal is strong enough. A phone's internal GPS antenna is enough for a GPS lock, often with an accuracy within few metres or feet if being used outdoors.

My point was that either the member had the maps already downloaded or that there's a glitch in the Public Mobile system that allowed internet to work without any data being on the account. Without the maps already downloaded or an active internet connection mapping and turn-by-turn directions just wouldn't be possible.

@Korth  @computergeek541   Would this explain the extremely minor amounts of data being recorded under usage that some members have questioned in recent weeks (despite having data turned off) and does not get reset like MMS and the 5.5mb data does?

Assisted GPS uses small amounts of data to help with a faster lock and with accuracy. However, it can be disabled. The maps and adjusted driving directions require internet to account for traffic conditions.

That doesn't explain leaked data. A-GPS and dowloading of maps cannot/should not occur if mobile data is turned off unless there is a software problem with the phone.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541

GPS itself does not normally need data, it only needs satellites. But GPS software often attempts to use data anyhow, the cell towers act as "fixed" GPS repeaters (which seems kinda fishy to me, since GPS is all based on digital timing and telemetry, and since the base stations already identify each unique device through digital timing anyways, but it is what it is) for faster and better location accuracy.

You're right that things such as a celluar data connection will help with accuracy and faster a lock, but even without any internet connection at all, GPS will still work as long as the signal is strong enough. A phone's internal GPS antenna is enough for a GPS lock, often with an accuracy within few metres or feet if being used outdoors.

My point was that either the member had the maps already downloaded or that there's a glitch in the Public Mobile system that allowed internet to work without any data being on the account. Without the maps already downloaded or an active internet connection mapping and turn-by-turn directions just wouldn't be possible.

@Korth  @computergeek541   Would this explain the extremely minor amounts of data being recorded under usage that some members have questioned in recent weeks (despite having data turned off) and does not get reset like MMS and the 5.5mb data does?

savvy

@Ben wrote:

Thanks. For anyone else thinking of doing this, I gotta warn you that 128 kbps is REALLY slow for web browsing, so only do this if you have the patience. Pages that are mostly text load ok but pages with lots of images or scripts are slow.

I think an ideal phone plan for me would have no high speed data, and just give you unlimited data at 1 Mbps.

Are you using Opera Mini browser with Turbo mode yet? After the initial "ping" or resolution or whatever, it feels like it loads 75% as fast as normal. I leave it on "Automatic" which ends up being 35% data savings usually, but at times I've gone up to Very High and it's like 40-60% less bandwidth required. At about 40% savings it's no loss of functionality on any pages, and it's built on the Chromium package (same as Google Chrome).

savvy

@MoreYummy wrote:

that's why they give you low speed, otherwise their network would overwhelm during busy time.   

Actually it wouldn't. Lucky is literally on the same 4G network as the main Bell and Virgin lines, only throttled down to slow speed. They have the capacity to offer every single person 512Kbps relentlessly if they wanted (as they currently market on their Bell lines). It's exclusively greed that they don't offer more, and they are only higher throttled speed than the others "just enough" to give them an edge, since they only wanted to beat out Chatr's terrible offering.

Ben

@Ben  Well I have to say for your data needs that's the best reasoning I've heard.

Ben

I recently switched to Lucky (from Koodo) and the throttled unlimited data was the only reason. I use a lot of data, anywhere from 5-10 gb/month, but it's almost all from browsing webpages (I have a long commute on the go train every day, and also tend to browse a lot at work), so all I need is low speed data. I always thought it was very unfair people like me have to pay the same for data as somebody who uses data for high speed things (eg video). They're the ones causing most of the congestion on the network, not me with my web browsing, so why should we pay the same? Why don't they offer different tiers (speeds) of service for different prices, the way they do for wired internet? The technology is there.

Another problem is that if your data usage varies a lot month-to-month, then each month you either overpay for data you don't use, or you run out of data and have to do without or pay extra for overpriced additional data. Unlimited throttled data eliminates this problem, at least if you only need low speed data.

The 128kbps is enough for email, messaging, food apps, and web browsing. Pages load pretty slowly, but I can put up with that to save money. I may consider coming back to Koodo or PM if either of them ever offer throttled unlimited in the future, but for now I'm happy with Lucky.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541

@computergeek541

You can turn data or data permissions off, but sometimes the software and the network will still manage to maintain a trickle of data (for device location) which has nothing to do with the GPS-specific radio hardware.

My custom SMS client keeps detecting "Type 0 SMS ping" packets being sent from the network whenever I turn my GPS on. I've configured it to reject (send no receipt or response) to these "hidden" SMS notifications - and this doesn't seem to affect my GPS precision - but I suspect it indicates the GPS software (several different GPS apps on several different android devices) does exchange some data with the network even when it's explicitly denied permission to do so. GPS functions are typically embedded in the main “black box" SoC package so one can't easily isolate, audit, control, or disable GPS-specific hardware functions from all the other radio stuff.

@Knockali wrote:

I have noticed on $10 non data plan that google maps work fine including turn by turn directions.  It used to work even when no data add on was applied.  

This likely means that the map data was already downloaded to your device. GPS itself does not need data.

Knockali

I have noticed on $10 non data plan that google maps work fine including turn by turn directions.  It used to work even when no data add on was applied.  

Knockali

PM is the only brand which allows us to pay nothing if we refer enough people.  The best time to refer is when they offer $20 for each referral.  I have accumulated enough balance to last me 3 years.  

All you guys who are paying full price deserve unlimited data since the compilation is offering it for the same price.  

maheshboloor

@pmmobile wrote:

I'm mostly commenting to receive updates to this thread.

It's great if PM implements unlimited throttled data at 128 (or 256kbps) with new plans, while alllowing those who are not interested to keep the price of their plans low with rewards.

On a side note, it would also be great if one day all plans were simply North American plans with minutes and data that follows us across the border.. eventually this along with 5G may be a reality?

I have been waiting for PM to do that from a while now. Let's see wat 2020 brings. Also as far as plans covering whole of North America, almost all major carriers in US do it. But I don't think those economical brands do it though. I wouldn't hold my breath on PM doing it.

pmmobile

I'm mostly commenting to receive updates to this thread.

It's great if PM implements unlimited throttled data at 128 (or 256kbps) with new plans, while alllowing those who are not interested to keep the price of their plans low with rewards.

On a side note, it would also be great if one day all plans were simply North American plans with minutes and data that follows us across the border.. eventually this along with 5G may be a reality?

maheshboloor

@Korth wrote:

@maheshboloor

I believe PM's atrocious price for Data Add-ons is quite deliberate. A few people might buy them, but what PM is really counting on is customers with cheap low-Data Plans upgrading to the costlier more-Data plans (because these look like a better and smarter way to go vs the Add-ons).

I don't understand why this works, exactly, because PM's competitors offer essentially the same plans at essentially the same prices *plus* they sell their add-on Data at much lower prices. But it seems to work, nonetheless, since PM has has the same Data Add-on prices it's had for years, people have requested/demanded more and cheaper Data, people have threatened to leave PM (for Lucky), people have indeed left PM... yet PM still seems to be doing fairly well. 

@Korth I totally agree. As an overall package, PM is easily the best among the low cost carriers. Hands down. The only three downsides i see are the aforementioned 1. High cost of data add ons 2. No availability of throttled unlimited data 3. No plans with higher data caps (max is 8.5 gb and there are users who probably use much more than that per month). Other than that, PM has everything and is an amazing value for money with rewards. I am gonna be still be active on this forum after I move to Lucky and hope PM eventually has these features. I will definitely be back then.

@maheshboloor

I believe PM's atrocious price for Data Add-ons is quite deliberate. A few people might buy them, but what PM is really counting on is customers with cheap low-Data Plans upgrading to the costlier more-Data plans (because these look like a better and smarter way to go vs the Add-ons).

I don't understand why this works, exactly, because PM's competitors offer essentially the same plans at essentially the same prices *plus* they sell their add-on Data at much lower prices. But it seems to work, nonetheless, since PM has has the same Data Add-on prices it's had for years, people have requested/demanded more and cheaper Data, people have threatened to leave PM (for Lucky), people have indeed left PM... yet PM still seems to be doing fairly well. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

Lucky's 128kbps translates into 5.625MB per hour.

Enough bandwidth to fetch email, browse some plain html sites, listen to a low-quality audio podcast/stream, or run a data-based msg app like Whatsapp.

Not enough bandwidth for anything else.

I don't imagine it's even enough for a GPS app, you could find your own way around before map data finishes loading.

So while the word "unlimited" does have a lot of catchy appeal, the real usage in real conditions is far too limited to draw me away from real PM Rewards (and sporadic freebies, lol). Especially in a world where every home can have cheap unlimited data and every public building can have free unlimited WiFi - and these free data can easily outperform unthrottled 3G/LTE speeds. 

Back in the dial-up days, 128kbps would have been a dream. Smiley Very Happy

maheshboloor

@Korth the whole point for throttled data is to be connected. I have previously experienced 256 kbps from Tmobile wen I was roaming in canada and used up thier 5 gb 4g lte data for the month. I could text in whatsapp, make voip calls on whatsapp, navigate on google maps with offline maps loaded and also called uber a couple of times. I am guessing 128 kbps might be slightly slower but cam definitely do the above 4 tasks. If that happens with PM, I have to renew early or buy the, let's be honest here 30$ for 1 gb data, atrociously priced add on. I have already used up my 5 gb abt 2 days  early once and 1 day another time before my cycle renewed. It was super annoying to not be connected while I was commuting. Again, this might not be required for everyone.

of course the slow data usaged is for basic messaging, and texting related usage.  

If someone think it can be used for voip, video etc, they expect too much, that's why they give you low speed, otherwise their network would overwhelm during busy time.   

as for map, you can download all kind of offline map.   There are many of them, even goodgle map has its own smaller version of dowloadable map.  

r1lee

Yeah I will also stick my parents around for another month thanks to the promo.

Well in regards to not being able to map, you can always predownload the map on the phone. 

Lucky's 128kbps translates into 5.625MB per hour.

Enough bandwidth to fetch email, browse some plain html sites, listen to a low-quality audio podcast/stream, or run a data-based msg app like Whatsapp.

Not enough bandwidth for anything else.

I don't imagine it's even enough for a GPS app, you could find your own way around before map data finishes loading.

So while the word "unlimited" does have a lot of catchy appeal, the real usage in real conditions is far too limited to draw me away from real PM Rewards (and sporadic freebies, lol). Especially in a world where every home can have cheap unlimited data and every public building can have free unlimited WiFi - and these free data can easily outperform unthrottled 3G/LTE speeds. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is the second free 1GB data in 3 months.  I prefer this than the overage slooow speed.

this free stuff will keep peole happy for some time.  but they need to put out the slow data after overage soon.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maheshboloor wrote:

PM just made me stick with them for another month lol. The holiday add ons were pretty nice. Thabk you PM, really appreciate it. Might as well use them up before porting. Also PM while you are at it, just sneak in the unlimited throttled data lol.

Yeah, that'd be a nice gift to ring in the new year.. Smiley Very Happy

maheshboloor

PM just made me stick with them for another month lol. The holiday add ons were pretty nice. Thabk you PM, really appreciate it. Might as well use them up before porting. Also PM while you are at it, just sneak in the unlimited throttled data lol.

savvy

I've tried out Lucky for a bit and I found a bit of a major snag! Unlike PM, who just charge you the difference between your rewards and the cost of your plan every month, Lucky will always charge you exactly the full cost of your plan if you set up auto-pay. This means that the referral bonuses and start-up bonus', and any other credits you receive, cannot be used unless you cancel auto-pay. For people who pay with top-up cards, this is literally a "nothing burger" (to steal a line from Kevin O'leary)...But if you set up auto-pay to get the bonus 500MB of data, you can't cancel the auto-pay to benefit from the credits at all, without permanently giving up your auto-top-up bonus data.

So for data: Lucky wins all the way.

For rewards and seemless automatic payments: PM wins all the way.

Need Help? Let's chat.