cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that both Lucky and Chatr have unlimited data, when do you think Public will get this?

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As it was Telus initially said "no" to unlimited data for a few days when Rogers and Bell brought it out...Then they did finally cave and follow suit. Now all 3 have bumped up their unlimited data options to 512kbps overage, which is plenty to run Spotify/Deezer on High setting.

Chatr had unlimited data for a while at 64kbps (which is often just low enough to not run Deezer fluidly on low) and now Lucky Mobile has followed suit but upped the offering to 128kbps, which is good enough to maintain sufficient speed for fluid audio. Currently all but the $15 Lucky (voice) plan has the unlimited data.

So it's a slow-moving iceberg, but now that the main 2 competitors have it, when do you think reluctant-old Telus will let PM follow suit? It's becoming difficult to be a loyal holdout.

170 REPLIES 170

It's actually gotten to the point where - if "unlimited" Data at 128kbps is good enough for your audio/etc - it's worth paying $15 or so for minimum Lucky/Freedom service (plus any Data Service Passes and Data Add-ons you like) on a second SIM card. A precarious situation for Public, just half a step away from moving completely over to the competition - they must already choose between losing customers and losing profits, or they must choose some kind of competitive new pricing structure, and the longer they delay the more they lose. 

Well answered @savvy  Its not so much the need for data as the wish list to have it there just in case for the little things. Dial up for your mobile phone? So really what is wanted is a cheap data add on at 128kbps that kicks in on the last couple of days of your cycle when you may run out. The equivalent of the $5/500min calling minutes for the $15 and soon to be grandfathered $10 plan. Rather than the expense of offering it to everyone if you don't need it or want it could be offered at $5/250mb @ 128kbps for those who need to stay connected to basic internet functions.without having to pay for the more expensive data add ons. It's not unlimited but enough to not worry about and rolls over if you don't use it.

Now hat I've thought about this...is this not only a request for a low priced 128kbps data add on but the need for a plan or two the falls between the $25 w/1gb and the $40 w/5gb (both get 500mb w/ autopay) so don't we need $30/1.5gb and $35/2.5gb again both w/Auto pay. That's what's really missing here....why people want slow unlimited data for low data plans and why i have too much data. I pay more so i dont run out only $5 more on my current promo than those on the $25 but with an extra 4gb a month but when the promo expires  I will drop down to the $25 plan it makes economic sense.

savvy

I have to assume that those of you pushing for the unlimited 128kb data have data needs that cannot be satisfied by ? You use more than 8.5gb a month the highest dataplan available at public mobile? You have very limited access to free WiFi and/or internet at home? You cannot afford or are too cheap to buy internet service at home? Or the same for your phone plan? I am swimming in excess data....switching to the $10 plan from the $15 because I used 4/250mb my $40 plan just renewed and I used barely 500mb/5gb that was without ever connecting to any WiFi outside my house, I wouldn't sign in to the WiFi at work, listened to YouTube on my bike rides home and burned off a few speed tests to compare it to my snail paced WiFi at home. Even at home running 3x5 daily speed tests for a month, 4 of us including the online gamer barely used 65/450gb. So what do you use so much data for that you would be satisfied with the 128kbps unlimited use? So the rest if us who don't need unlimited slow data should pay more (because in the end we will) because you can't, won't or don't want to  pay more yourselves?

Sooo to answer a couple of questions there 1) Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile are some of the "poor man's" cell services, so definitely there are some who don't have a huge budget for both home internet and cell. 2) Some people do have situations with WiFi not being available. Some of my friends work in a local mine and in construction and they would like to have music running continuously while they do the manual labour parts. 3) It isn't actually about having a "massive" amount of data for most people. Why should we have to make a huge leap into a much larger package if we're only going to need a small amount more temporarily?

For me specifically, the reason is just like having unlimited internet at home. I don't ever have to worry about it. I never want to have to look - if it slows down it slows down. On my temp Lucky number, I intentionally went over just to do my tests, but I would rarely if ever need more than the plan is regularly. In a pinch though, for a month or 2 where I want streaming music and I'm right at the limit, it's good to be able to continue for a few extra MBs (I have a 1 GB there and I average ~800 MBs normally). I like the idea of never having to look over my shoulder again. It's a sense of freedom. I don't have to OCD over my internet allotments for the month (and I legitimately have moderate OCD) - it's actually good for me that way. One less stress in my life. Smiley Very Happy

@MitchRuns wrote:

Public Mobile really needs to address this. At this point there is no reason to go with Public Mobile when Lucky has the same priced plans but include the unlimited throttled data.

Can we get @Alan_K and the rest of PM aware of how essential this is to us? If it's not addressed in the next month or two then I'll definitely be switching because unlimited data would be incredibly useful to me. 

I have to assume that those of you pushing for the unlimited 128kb data have data needs that cannot be satisfied by ? You use more than 8.5gb a month the highest dataplan available at public mobile? You have very limited access to free WiFi and/or internet at home? You cannot afford or are too cheap to buy internet service at home? Or the same for your phone plan? I am swimming in excess data....switching to the $10 plan from the $15 because I used 4/250mb my $40 plan just renewed and I used barely 500mb/5gb that was without ever connecting to any WiFi outside my house, I wouldn't sign in to the WiFi at work, listened to YouTube on my bike rides home and burned off a few speed tests to compare it to my snail paced WiFi at home. Even at home running 3x5 daily speed tests for a month, 4 of us including the online gamer barely used 65/450gb. So what do you use so much data for that you would be satisfied with the 128kbps unlimited use? So the rest if us who don't need unlimited slow data should pay more (because in the end we will) because you can't, won't or don't want to  pay more yourselves?

MitchRuns
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile really needs to address this. At this point there is no reason to go with Public Mobile when Lucky has the same priced plans but include the unlimited throttled data.

Can we get @Alan_K and the rest of PM aware of how essential this is to us? If it's not addressed in the next month or two then I'll definitely be switching because unlimited data would be incredibly useful to me. 

savvy

@maheshboloor wrote:

@savvy thank you for the detailed explanation. Too bad PM doesn't care. It not unreasonable for us customers to ask for a feature a direct competitor has. I am being commenting about this since the first day when lucky announced the unlimited throttled plan. Ah well. 

Unfortunately there are enough people who are unaware and couldn't be bothered to shop around who are still joining that dilute the numbers so it likely isn't as big of an issue for them as it should be. I'm sure they don't look at posts like these and just make assumptions like they need more marketing and promotions or something, without taking the time to truly investigate. They don't hire staff to monitor the posts, so the people that make the decisions have little way of getting the feedback they need. It's a shame, because they are otherwise my favourite mobile provider.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@JAC70 wrote:

Huh, same prices as PM, too.   Can I run Android Auto (live traffic) and Spotify on 128 Kbps?

Spotify on regular quality, for sure.

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@savvy thank you for the detailed explanation. Too bad PM doesn't care. It not unreasonable for us customers to ask for a feature a direct competitor has. I am being commenting about this since the first day when lucky announced the unlimited throttled plan. Ah well. 

savvy

@JAC70 wrote:

Huh, same prices as PM, too.   Can I run Android Auto (live traffic) and Spotify on 128 Kbps?

I currently have both Public and Lucky...I put my Public right down to the lowest plan as a kind of "number parking", hoping that they do get unlimited in the future since I like dealing with Public better, and I opened a second line with Lucky with a temporary number. I have done numerous tests on Lucky and everything seems to work. I haven't use Spotify, but I've used Deezer and Amazon music. Deezer on the lowest setting seems to work the best. It takes some time to get going (like 2-3 seconds or so) and after a few seconds it does pause once, then it will never pause again as it gains momentum. The same thing happens with Amazon music, but the start takes longer (sometimes 10-15 seconds to get going), and the initial pause is longer. It does become more of nuisance with Amazon music, but the audio quality you get is much MUCH better than the Deezer quality when comparing both on "low". Deezer on low is like radio, Amazon is closer to what you expect from CD. Once they get running, both should just continue on uninterrupted and never pause again unless you do something else that requires bandwidth (like loading web pages). Deezer never failed me, but there were occasions where I did have Amazon music pause slightly (fraction of a second) long after the music started. WhatsApp and Messenger and all those types of apps are completely indifferent and use so little data you can use them and listen to music and it won't care. You will not get high quality audio though. Consider that low audio quality with the big 3 (Deezer/Amazon/Spotify) needs to sustain 64-96kbps. Medium usually needs to sustain 128+kbps, and high quality audio needs to sustain 256kbps. Thus there's only enough overhead to guarantee low audio quality. However 1 cool thing is that doing speed tests, in my area I literally flat-lined at 125-130+kbps...so unlike chatr that can barely hold up 50kbps on their 64kpbs overage due to loss, you should expect to get every drop of bandwidth Lucky offers and your music should just keep going. Hope that helps  😉

savvy

@tehowennathe wrote:

@Knockali wrote:

If more people demand it, it will happen.  

Yes many are demanding it but it hasn't even made it's way to Koodo. As we all know Koodo gets new features before we see it at PM. We can all hope for it but untill Koodo gets it we won't see it.

It worked backwards for Lucky... it skipped Virgin Mobile and went to Lucky because neither Fido nor Koodo have it...But Public is competing with Chatr and Lucky, and both have it, so I expect it to be more likely Public comes on board first, unless Virgin/Fido get it and Koodo follows, then Public. It's all about competition - they have their own companies to stack up against. Lucky did it to 1 up Chatr, and now Public is the only one in the Tier left.

MitchRuns

PM definitely needs to add this. Most of my friends who were on PM have now switched to Lucky because they like to listen to Spotify and wanted the data when they run out. It's a huge advantage to people who use music streaming. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

I don't know how Public Mobile can still be saying no to unlimited when others have it. That doesn't seem competitive.

JAC70

Jandoraa

Throttled data after using the current plan data would be awesome! Fingers crossed it happens soon!

tehowennathe

@Knockali wrote:

Yes many are demanding it but it hasn't even made it's way to Koodo. As we all know Koodo gets new features before we see it at PM. We can all hope for it but untill Koodo gets it we won't see it.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Knockali wrote:

Make it happen, PM! Smiley Happy

Knockali

krzcnck

was thinking of porting over to Lucky Mobile just for esim support but just hit my $1 off per year with PM, ended up going with another company for my data

88cranston

@Knockali wrote:

I have been testing lucky mobile for few days.  It works fine for google maps and Spotify music.  I have been constantly playing music in the car and while walking.  It hasn't failed yet.  No message has popped up to ask me to slow down on my data usage.  

it's about time public offered unlimited.  I have got multiple line with public and don't want to transfer.  

While I know diddly about data or using it. It does not appear to be that good of an offer...does it?

With Lucky Mobile, there are no data overage charges.

That’s right. No data overage charges. No surprises.

If your usage exceeds the data included in your plan or Add-On, we’ll send you a text message with a link to add a Service Pass should you wish to use more 3G data. You can also continue to use data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data.

With no surprise pay-per-use charges, you're always in control. And to further help you manage your usage, you can access the Lucky Mobile My Account app or log in to My Account and find your most up-to-date usage details.

Knockali

I have been testing lucky mobile for few days.  It works fine for google maps and Spotify music.  I have been constantly playing music in the car and while walking.  It hasn't failed yet.  No message has popped up to ask me to slow down on my data usage.  

it's about time public offered unlimited.  I have got multiple line with public and don't want to transfer.  

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@maheshboloor wrote:

Ofcourse. But different users have different scenarios. Infact I am on the 5gb plan and that is usually enough for me. But this cycle I am left with only 300 mb for the next 4 days. I know for sure I'll use up the data with my regular usage in a day or two. Now if I had throttled data after my usage I could still be connected to my friends n family via messaging apps I use (wich uses data) rather than not being connected to internet for the remaining 2 days or resorting to buyin an expensive data add on.

Also we are not askin PM to give us a feature which is unreasonable. Almost all other carriers have adopted the unlimited throttled data here in Canada.

So you have already gone through your 1GB free data add-on from a few weeks ago?

smp99

I have suggested in the past that PM could make unlimited available to only $40 plans and over. People would already have large data buckets and many do not ever come close, so I don't think many would actually dip into the extra data. 

maheshboloor

@GR wrote:

With all the rewards that we can acquire with public mobile I'm still more than happy to stay here!  I have a plan that's got enough data for me and I never go over  so with the rewards it's cheaper than lucky/chatr 

Ofcourse. But different users have different scenarios. Infact I am on the 5gb plan and that is usually enough for me. But this cycle I am left with only 300 mb for the next 4 days. I know for sure I'll use up the data with my regular usage in a day or two. Now if I had throttled data after my usage I could still be connected to my friends n family via messaging apps I use (wich uses data) rather than not being connected to internet for the remaining 2 days or resorting to buyin an expensive data add on.

Also we are not askin PM to give us a feature which is unreasonable. Almost all other carriers have adopted the unlimited throttled data here in Canada.

With all the rewards that we can acquire with public mobile I'm still more than happy to stay here!  I have a plan that's got enough data for me and I never go over  so with the rewards it's cheaper than lucky/chatr 

maheshboloor

Commenting again to have this post to show up on the top. I can't believe PM hasn't responded to Lucky mobile with the throttled unlimited data after plan data is used up.

While we are at it, lucky mobile has 2gb data add on for 15$. Although it's monthly only and expires at the end of the current cycle. But PM's 1gb add on is 30$. Thats 4 times costlier than Lucky. I agree there is a plus that the data doesn't expire but I personally think the price shud come down to atleast 20$ for 1 gb (or even 15$).

johnpaul

Still no update from Public Mobile.

maheshboloor

Commenting here just to get this post to show up on discussion again. Its been over a month now and PM has not reacted yet. 

savvy
@torontokris wrote:

Only the 250mb 100 minute plan for $15 does not mention the speeds.

Anyone use the Bell 128kbps... is it actually 128 or is it Chatr style where it says your going to get xyz but never get it.

$25 for 1GB unlimited canada wide calling & throttled data unlimited after is really good

Stop comparing Chatr with PM, Chatr Data doesn't work most of the time time because it runs on the congested slow 3G network of Rogers.  I have 6GB plan for $35 and could barely use any because it ridiculously slow.

@chukdefateyas you can see above, @torontokris wrote comparing Lucky ("Bell") to Chatr... The 128 Kbps is Lucky Mobile. The same network. So while you may hate the Chatr network for being so congested, Lucky Mobile/Bell and Public Mobile/Telus use the same towers. It's fair to say Public should follow suit imo, more so because Lucky is doing this than Chatr, but either way their 2 biggest competitors now have Unlimited overage in some form, so it'll be interesting to see Public's response to this.

@geopublic 

@torontokris wrote:

Anyone use the Bell 128kbps... is it actually 128 or is it Chatr style where it says your going to get xyz but never get it.

$25 for 1GB unlimited canada wide calling & throttled data unlimited after is really good

@torontokris I agree the Lucky $25 plan looks pretty good with the latest data offering. 🤗

I was thinking the same thing. 🙂

tehowennathe

@chukdefatey wrote:

@torontokris wrote:

Stop comparing Chatr with PM, Chatr Data doesn't work most of the time time because it runs on the congested slow 3G network of Rogers.  I have 6GB plan for $35 and could barely use any because it ridiculously slow. 

I was with PM originally but went with ChatR and was big mistake. Data didn't always work. More so when it was neer r the most. Biggest mistake ever made. Came back to PM and much happier. What drew me back was the new Canada US plan 

chukdefatey

@torontokris wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.