cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that both Lucky and Chatr have unlimited data, when do you think Public will get this?

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As it was Telus initially said "no" to unlimited data for a few days when Rogers and Bell brought it out...Then they did finally cave and follow suit. Now all 3 have bumped up their unlimited data options to 512kbps overage, which is plenty to run Spotify/Deezer on High setting.

Chatr had unlimited data for a while at 64kbps (which is often just low enough to not run Deezer fluidly on low) and now Lucky Mobile has followed suit but upped the offering to 128kbps, which is good enough to maintain sufficient speed for fluid audio. Currently all but the $15 Lucky (voice) plan has the unlimited data.

So it's a slow-moving iceberg, but now that the main 2 competitors have it, when do you think reluctant-old Telus will let PM follow suit? It's becoming difficult to be a loyal holdout.

170 REPLIES 170

cassie2095
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think they'll catch up pretty quick! When Public gets wind that their competitors are doing better they usually up their game lol 

@torontokris wrote:

Only the 250mb 100 minute plan for $15 does not mention the speeds.

Anyone use the Bell 128kbps... is it actually 128 or is it Chatr style where it says your going to get xyz but never get it.

$25 for 1GB unlimited canada wide calling & throttled data unlimited after is really good

@torontokris I agree the Lucky $25 plan looks pretty good with the latest data offering. 🤗

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Only the 250mb 100 minute plan for $15 does not mention the speeds.

Anyone use the Bell 128kbps... is it actually 128 or is it Chatr style where it says your going to get xyz but never get it.

$25 for 1GB unlimited canada wide calling & throttled data unlimited after is really good

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just check out the details of any plan. It even mentions it on the $15 data only plan.

justinbeaudoin

Does anyone know where on Lucky's site it refers to unlimited? Or is it just they throttled down unlimited we've come to know and unlove?

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM could follow Lucky and Chatr and at the same time lead.

Offer unl data to plans $40 and over with auto-pay, but bump the throttled speed to 256kbps or even 512.  You may get a number of people upping their $25 plans to this. And I suspect many would not even actually use the throttled data most months. 

Or really think out of the box. Get unl data all at 1Mbps for $50-60. No throttling.  

savvy

@mimmo wrote:

How usable is the unlimited data @@128 Kbps?

Will I start pulling my hair out trying to browse a webage? Forget YouTube etc I imagine. 

I would buy a package that better suits my needs if I run out constantly or renew early 

It will do everything except video. Loading some pages will take longer, but using a browser like Opera Mini (which compresses data for you) means there will be nearly zero impact on browsing habbits. It's enough you could leave Messenger and Whatsapp and similar on continuously, and run music streaming (at "low"/"fastest streaming"/etc. setting) without buffering, or play games like Pokémon Go (with minor potential minor lag at like Pokéstops/Gyms whatever they are), but just no Youtube/Netflix/etc. For those, even if you have like Youtube Premium or Netflix you could always download an episode on Medium/High settings and it would take about 4 hours to download but you could get it. For most people that would be ludicrous, but I do know there are some people who can't afford home internet and that would be a great lifeline.

savvy

@tehowennathe wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Will I start pulling my hair out trying to browse a webage? Forget YouTube etc I imagine. 

I would buy a package that better suits my needs if I run out constantly or renew early 

That speed should be good enough for basic music streaming. Basic streaming is 128kbps

Close. You only need a minimum of 64Kbps (continuous) to get basic music streaming for most major streaming services (deezer, spotify, etc.) However, in the real world, since you never stay at the maximum throttled speed, the 128 gives a little buffer in case you aren't getting that.

savvy

@tehowennathe wrote:

I don't think Lucky has unlimited data. Reason I didn't switch to them was because of this. I asked Lucky Mobile what speeds they slow data down to. They told me if all data is used you must buy a data add on. Seems their data runs similar to PM. This was last month I asked.

Though they could of changed that since I last asked.

Lucky Mobile just got this data and speed 3 or 4 days ago. It's new. Also if you use all of the data it will still nag you for an add-on. The key though is that it's 128Kbps which is actually goods enough to run everything except video. I think that's really good.

PM would own the prepaid market if they did that. PM out of any prepaid network is the most reliable. I was on Chatr and their network was spotty and slow when I was away from Montreal. 

It would get so many who want unlimited data at a lower price and don't mind the slower speeds.  If PM slowed speeds even if at 3G I'd be happy

So PM and Lucky use the same network. PM is owned by Telus and Lucky Mobile by Bell...But Bell and Telus have traditionally shared towers, so it's the same service. Chatr is the outlier in that they are the only one on Rogers' network.

--

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

That speed should be good enough for basic music streaming. Basic streaming is 128kbps

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

jor123

@tehowennathe wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

@savvy wrote:

As it was Telus initially said "no" to unlimited data for a few days when Rogers and Bell brought it out...Then they did finally cave and follow suit. Now all 3 have bumped up their unlimited data options to 512kbps overage, which is plenty to run Spotify/Deezer on High setting.

Chatr had unlimited data for a while at 64kbps (which is often just low enough to not run Deezer fluidly on low) and now Lucky Mobile has followed suit but upped the offering to 128kbps, which is good enough to maintain sufficient speed for fluid audio. Currently all but the $15 Lucky (voice) plan has the unlimited data.

So it's a slow-moving iceberg, but now that the main 2 competitors have it, when do you think reluctant-old Telus will let PM follow suit? It's becoming difficult to be a loyal holdout.

I don't think Lucky has unlimited data. Reason I didn't switch to them was because of this. I asked Lucky Mobile what speeds they slow data down to. They told me if all data is used you must buy a data add on. Seems their data runs similar to PM. This was last month I asked.

Yeah I didn't know they did either. That's interesting though, I'd prefer slow throttled data after an allowance is used up rather than no data at all.

PM would own the prepaid market if they did that. PM out of any prepaid network is the most reliable. I was on Chatr and their network was spotty and slow when I was away from Montreal. 

It would get so many who want unlimited data at a lower price and don't mind the slower speeds.  If PM slowed speeds even if at 3G I'd be happy

Yeah that would be great.

tehowennathe

@jor123 wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

@savvy wrote:

Yeah I didn't know they did either. That's interesting though, I'd prefer slow throttled data after an allowance is used up rather than no data at all.

jor123

@tehowennathe wrote:

@savvy wrote:

tehowennathe

@savvy wrote:

SomeFriend

I also heard that Lucky is like Public and has “LTE lite”, which is LTE but just limited to 3mbps down/up, which is more reliable than 3G only, which is also restricted to 3mbps down/up, on chatr...

I would be very happy if they matched Lucky and provided 128kbps speeds after allowance, which is enough for me to keep my messenging apps going and refresh my email account...

@popping wrote:

@savvy 

I don't think Chatr 3G(no LTE capped speed) can compete with PM LTE capped 3Mbps service.  I was a Mobilicity/Chatr user for eight months.  I stay with Chatr 3G just to get the $10/m for 8 months with autopay.  There is no Chatr 3G data inside my RCSS where I use Flipp to price match other stores at checkout.  Most of time, I had to go to RCSS front door to load up the price match page before check out.  After I finished my autopay 8x$10 credit, I switched to Zoomer with Rogers LTE.  I get data with Rogers LTE inside the same RCSS store.  I will not go back to Chatr if their plans are $10 cheaper as I cannot stand the Rogers 3G signal near me.

I have no comment on Lucky as I have not use it.

@popping Lucky also uses LTE lite (3Mbps) similar to PM for data.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@savvy 

I don't think Chatr 3G(no LTE capped speed) can compete with PM LTE capped 3Mbps service.  I was a Mobilicity/Chatr user for eight months.  I stay with Chatr 3G just to get the $10/m for 8 months with autopay.  There is no Chatr 3G data inside my RCSS where I use Flipp to price match other stores at checkout.  Most of time, I had to go to RCSS front door to load up the price match page before check out.  After I finished my autopay 8x$10 credit, I switched to Zoomer with Rogers LTE.  I get data with Rogers LTE inside the same RCSS store.  I will not go back to Chatr if their plans are $10 cheaper as I cannot stand the Rogers 3G signal near me.

I have no comment on Lucky as I have not use it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile used to be a leader with fresh offerings.  In recent times, they follow their peers.  I would agree that they will do something similar to lucky and chatr.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@savvy wrote:

@savvy Due to the fact that PM directly competes with both Chatr and Lucky, my guess is to expect something real soon.

Need Help? Let's chat.