cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification when out of SMS?

olivierg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the 50 min/50 sms plan and I ran out of outgoing sms because my phone sent 49 sms after an OS update, checking for visual voicemail apparently, but this is another problem. The problem is that I continued sending sms for a week, not knowing that I didn't have any left in my plan, so none were delivered, but I realized that after a few days. And I found that this was the problem after counting them in usage history, at first, I though that only the ones sent to Fizz clients (new provider) failed to be delivered.

So, the question is: are there notifications sent by Public Mobile when we hit 75% or 95% or 100% of sms usage, like there is for minutes and data?

Or, should the sms app be able to identify the sms that weren't delivered? I'm using "Android Messages" on a Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android 9.

So, is this a problem with Public Mobile that doens't notify that messages weren't delivered, a problem with my account that doesn't get some kind of notifications or a problem with my phone (messaging app)?

20 REPLIES 20

@olivierg, this is a known 'feature' of the stock android dialer app.  To prevent these messages to 7723, go into your settings, and disallow the dialer app from sending sms.

This will stop the messages.

It's your phone, and you're responsible for all transactions, deliberate or not, that happens from your phone.  Disabling the privileges of the dialer app is a user allowed fix which you should be doing. 

olivierg

I did ask for a credit before starting this thread and it was applied.

My opinion is that those shouldn't count at all, mostly because I'm pretty sure that no other provider in Canada is doing so, including pay per use services, but this is another question, for another thread, there is already one about that here, a few other clients reported the same problem:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-on-Oreo-tries-to-send-Int-l-SMS...

Anyway, now, I'm wondering how to make sure it doesn't happen again (app saying message was delivered, but the provider not delivering it and no notification). It did happen a 2nd time after a minor OS update, but immediately disabled dialer's access to sms this time.

Here are the screenshots, I hope the right ones.

"Overview":

Capture.PNG

Should be 67/100, not sure about the additional 50 as they don't appear in my history, but the credit didn't work the first time.

"Usage history":

Untitled.png

So, others have reported getting sms notifications for low or no sms remaining, I didn't.  My hypothesis is that the notification system doesn't count "usage type" "minutes", so I was at 1 and didn't get it, but billing was at 50 and disabled it.

If that's the case, both systems should count the same way. Either way, there is a problem in one of the system as to what counts as a sent sms.

I'll be forwarding that to the moderator would helped with the credit, hopefully Public Mobile can look at it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missorange wrote:

@Metal1967 , you misunderstood. I said I did not reach that far, means I did not used up 40 messages or more, so I did not get reminder from Public mobile. I just wondering is that true when you almost run out of min. or message, anyone got the message from public mobile? I do check the usage from self serve account.

I have seen low minutes warnings, low texts warnings, low add-on data warnings. Iirc they all come from 611.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Metal1967 , you misunderstood. I said I did not reach that far, means I did not used up 40 messages or more, so I did not get reminder from Public mobile. I just wondering is that true when you almost run out of min. or message, anyone got the message from public mobile? I do check the usage from self serve account.

@Lieux wrote:

Do you know @olivierg that you can ask the moderator to credit the texts 7723 very kindly?

Here...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437...waiting time is few hours to 2 days..but it could be important for you to have some more text left...Smiley Wink

The moderators could very well do this to keep the customer happy. However, I think it important for the customer not to expect this.  These text messages really are being sent, so that's why it's being counted as one of the 50 messages.

Unfortunately, when a plan includes only a small amount of messges, this can be a problem.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@olivierg wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.

Nothing from 611 for me. 49 out of the 50 sms were sent to 7723 though and usage type appears as "minutes", not "sms" in account details, is it possible that the notifications only count the "real" sms, sent to a 10 digit number, so I would be at 1, but billing counts everything so I'm at 50 and disabled sms for the remainder of the month?

Thanks for the app suggestion, will test that last day before renewal as the phone is sending 1 per minute.

Interesting. I'd like to see that.

Can you post a screenshot of your usage details (the upper View My Usage)? Blank out personal info of course ie. non-voicemail access numbers in Originating or Destination.

And then one of your overview. again...^

@Anonymous 

See..tweaked your interest.. 😀

Do you know @olivierg that you can ask the moderator to credit the texts 7723 very kindly?

Here...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437...waiting time is few hours to 2 days..but it could be important for you to have some more text left...Smiley Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@olivierg wrote:

Nothing from 611 for me. 49 out of the 50 sms were sent to 7723 though and usage type appears as "minutes", not "sms" in account details, is it possible that the notifications only count the "real" sms, sent to a 10 digit number, so I would be at 1, but billing counts everything so I'm at 50 and disabled sms for the remainder of the month?

Thanks for the app suggestion, will test that last day before renewal as the phone is sending 1 per minute.

Interesting. I'd like to see that.

Can you post a screenshot of your usage details (the upper View My Usage)? Blank out personal info of course ie. non-voicemail access numbers in Originating or Destination.

And then one of your overview. again...^

olivierg

Metal1967

@mimmo 

Dont stress..all good...need no explanation....keep up the good work...👍😀

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Metal1967  thanks, for pointing it out. Fat fingers on a mobile device.  The problem in correcting it it now is that the person is tagged and if I fix it they will get multiple  notifications. 

Metal1967

@missorange wrote:

I did not receive any remind message maybe because I did not reach that far.

@missorange 

Reach that far????...its your account..you have access to your account details...this is pay as you go.....pay to play....or talk..or text .etc

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I did not receive any remind message maybe because I did not reach that far.

Metal1967

@Anonymous

10-4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Metal1967 wrote:

Counter.........

Is that like shadow at the ski hill in winner using the innerned? 🙂

People mis-type things all the time. Now you have to be darn certain that everything you type is perfect. That's why I generally don't call people out on obvious typos.

But that's just me.

Metal1967

Counter.........

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@olivierg have you considered installing a sms couner app? 

Metal1967

@Anonymous wrote:

@Metal1967: So I'm at beck and call now? 🙂

@olivierg: I tested it out near the end of one of my terms and got a text from 611 saying I had 10 texts left.

Yes you are....but everyone appreciates your QUICK response...👍👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Metal1967: So I'm at beck and call now? 🙂

@olivierg: I tested it out near the end of one of my terms and got a text from 611 saying I had 10 texts left.

Metal1967

@Anonymous .answer this question..up your alley..👍😀

Need Help? Let's chat.