cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving incoming texts

Oneotherthing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • Hello,

I have a prepaid plan and for five months now any time I add a data add-on I stop receiving incoming texts. The issue fixes itself when my entire monthly plan renews.

I still can receive incoming calls and send outgoing calls/texts.

Today I started having the same problem but I haven't purchased a add-on in three weeks.

Any permanent solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

@Oneotherthing 

Go to settings>>apps>>messages>>storage>>clear cache.

Oneotherthing

How do I clear the cache?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Oneotherthing wrote:
  • Hello,

I have a prepaid plan and for five months now any time I add a data add-on I stop receiving incoming texts. The issue fixes itself when my entire monthly plan renews.

I still can receive incoming calls and send outgoing calls/texts.

Today I started having the same problem but I haven't purchased a add-on in three weeks.

Any permanent solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

@Oneotherthing 

Perform a network reset on your Alcatel, follow these steps.

1. From the home screen, tap Apps > Settings > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset > RESET SETTINGS.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS again to confirm.

You could try a Factory reset (but I would do this as last resort after you have tried all other suggestions).
A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloads, ringtones, images, apps, contacts, and Visual Voicemail.

It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

1. Back up data on the internal memory.
  2. From the home screen, tap Apps.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Under 'PERSONAL,' tap Backup and reset.
  5. Under 'Personal data,' tap Factory data reset.
  6. Tap Reset phone.
  7. Tap Erase everything.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's really odd. I'd suspect a reception issue but then everything else seems to be working normally... That's so odd

If you send your own number a text, will you receive it? If so I wonder how far out it is vs when you press send? 🤔 Not all too many people know this is possible to text yourself. I'll use this method sometimes to double check my renewal went through, especially if I'm expecting a call that day after but before the noon confirmation

@Oneotherthing 

Try clearing the cache of your messaging app. Reboot your phone.

Also try toggling airplane mode on/off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oneotherthing : Maybe go through all the conversations and delete the pointless or now irrelevant ones. Maybe your phone reaches a capacity or something. That doesn't seem to explain why it then works after renewal.....

Edit: though maybe a restart happened in there.

I found this page. Might be of interest.

Oneotherthing

I am not using an internet based texting app either.

Oneotherthing

No not out of plan day now, not have I recently purchased data unlike the other times this has occurred.  Which is the strange thing for my incoming text to have stopped being received today.

Oneotherthing

Thank you, I will do that.

Have a blessed night/day (whatever time zone you are in)!

some people had similar problem with US romaing add on is expiring (incoming text not working).   With that issue, the moderator can resolve the issue by doing some sort of reset on the account

Although  I assume your case has nothing to do with US roaming, but it still worth checking with Mod by opening a ticket with them  (especially the fact that you said issue resolve when a new cycle starts):

To open a ticket with mod, click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot
Enter your question in SIMon. Follow the prompts until you reach the Contact Us button,

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oneotherthing : Are you out of plan data now? Are you using a default texting app? Or an internet-based texting app?

Oneotherthing

I am using an Alcatel, no idea what model older probably 2012 touch screen.

We don't have internet at home so I sometimes let dad use my phone as a hotspot which makes my data usage rather unpredictable, so yes when that happens I like to buy the add-on.

Oneotherthing

I currently have the 6gb prepaid plan. But had the 4gb plan the beginning of the year.

I have tried restarting my phone but not reseating the SIM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oneotherthing : I don't suppose you're using an iphone? Do you tend to run out of plan data as to why you go about trying to buy data add-ons?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Oneotherthing which plan do you currently have?

did you try re-seat your SIM (power down, take the SIM out and wait a minute, put the SIM back and power up the phone)..?

Need Help? Let's chat.