cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving any US calls.

tonyh98
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I just switched from freedom mobile to the $25 public mobile plan which includes unlimited canada text and calling as well as 1GB data.

However when I tried to call my number with a US number theres no popup on my phone about an incoming call. Futhermore if no voice message is left then no history of the call is ever noted in the "missed calls" section in the phone app. Do I seriously need to buy a US addon to receive/answer US calls?

On my freedom mobile contract I can receive/answer US calls at no cost but for some reason I cant on public mobile. Is this right?

7 REPLIES 7

Nezgar, this issue was brought up by tony98 about 9 months ago. To my knowledge, everything got fixed for this customer. 

@tonyh98 wrote:

I ported about a week ago and all other features are working. So I have a US google voice number and whenever I call my phone it goes directly to voice mail, if I dont leave a voice mail no history of the call is made. Hm. Maybe its a problem with google voice, I will try to call my phone using an app with a US number and see if it works.

It's interesting that you mention that the calls are going directly to voicemail without ringing your phone. That means one of the conditional call forwards is being triggered, probably the 'Busy/Decline' one.

When you call from Google voice, by default they present a "Private Number" caller ID unless you've actually gone through with setting up your own dedicated number. Your phone may be configured to automatically reject private/anonymous callers. For example on Android: https://ccm.net/faq/33706-how-to-block-calls-from-private-numbers-on-android

You may also have an app installed, such as nomorobo that might also be automatically rejecting the calls...

hxd120

Regarding Google Voice # calling PM # ... I just tested and it works fine for me. Got my g/f to call me using her GV# from her phone (though she's calling from Canada). 

I've had calls on my GV# from cousins in the States without issues (reason I got the GV#).

Is your phone set for Do Not Disturb?  Have you tried restarting your phone?

Do any calls or texts come in?  If it's been a week, your port may have failed.  Is your previous provider account still active?  Was it active when you ported your number to Public Mobile?

tonyh98

I ported about a week ago and all other features are working. So I have a US google voice number and whenever I call my phone it goes directly to voice mail, if I dont leave a voice mail no history of the call is made. Hm. Maybe its a problem with google voice, I will try to call my phone using an app with a US number and see if it works.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@tonyh98 You should be able to receive calls from anywhere. Are you trying to use a US number while in Canada? Will that number work for calls from outside the US? If you are in the US your Public Mobile plan won't include roaming in the US so it won't accept incoming or outgoing calls.
Have you tried calling from a different US number? Have you tried the SIM in a different phone? Does it accept calls from Canadian numbers?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@tonyh98 wrote:

So I just switched from freedom mobile to the $25 public mobile plan which includes unlimited canada text and calling as well as 1GB data.

However when I tried to call my number with a US number theres no popup on my phone about an incoming call. Futhermore if no voice message is left then no history of the call is ever noted in the "missed calls" section in the phone app. Do I seriously need to buy a US addon to receive/answer US calls?

On my freedom mobile contract I can receive/answer US calls at no cost but for some reason I cant on public mobile. Is this right?

@tonyh98You can receive calls while you are anywhere on the public mobile network, from anyone calling anywhere in the world without you needing any special plan or addons (as long as you are not on a limited 50 or 100 minute plan with 0 minutes left. The person calling you may need a special plan. You only need a special plan (long distance addon) for calling outside your regular calling area (provincial/canada-wide/us) The problem is probably that you just ported and the calls are going to your old sim card thats not in the phone.

If you just ported, it takes some time, every hour or so remove your battery / restart your phone. (or even better you should also be able to stick your old sim card in and still works, keep using it until it stops working, then your new public mobile sim should have incoming calls working). It can take time on your first port over and there can be weird issues for a short period of time.

If the issue continues you may have a partially completed port but most often ports just take a bit longer. One of the moderators can take a look, see if they need to do something to move it along.  Click this to send them a message they will get back to you asoon as they can between Monday-Friday 8am-12am (EDT) and Satuday-Sunday 8AM-10PM (EDT) and its usually within 48 hours, lately much faster.

For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

Need Help? Let's chat.