cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non resident people

atticusvero
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ho to all! I'm a non resident person (I'm italian citizien)  and I'll spent a couple of week around Canada (Toronto-Ottawa-Quebec-Montreal) for my holidays. Unfortunatly my mobile operator doesn't offer a data/call plan outside Italy, so I thought to buy a public mobile sim and activate a 30-days plan ($45-5.5GB-unlimited talk-unlimited tex). Is it possibile? Do you have any suggestion to allow me to use my smartphone during my holidays?

Thanks to all for help!

Andrew

13 REPLIES 13

atticusvero

Thanks @MacMe for the suggestion, I'll do it!

@Luddite I don't know that app, it seems very good! I'll test it now!

Thanks for the article: it seems that my phone is supported on 3G band. 

@jp2 for me it's ok  that my phone will work on 3G 'cause the plan offers 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed.

Thank you all for helping me, I'll let you know how it works.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you @Luddite for providing that article.

@atticusvero your phone should work on 3G not 4G but PM has a disclaimer that they don't gaurantee your phone will work on their network even if the frequencies are supported. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@atticusvero PM's frequencies here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@atticusvero Another offline map that will provide directions while offline is "HERE WeGo"; you download the region of interest while on wifi (hopefully)!

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MacMe

@atticusvero wrote:

Hi MacMe,

I saw the deadline, but I'll be there very soon: July 7th I'll land In Toronto! Smiley Very Happy and I can not wait to visit your country! (But without being able to use Google Maps It should be very difficult! Smiley Very Happy)

You can also download the maps to your phone for different cities right now.  Just open up the Google maps app and select "offline maps".  You can choose which areas you want.  It will take up space on your phone though.

atticusvero

@jp2 wrote:

If you know what frequency bands your phone supports I could tell u for sure 

Great! Thanks!

Here supported bands:

GSMName Interface
850GSM
900 (E-GSM)GSM
1800 (DCS)GSM
1900 (PCS)GSM
Supported GSM ProtocolsName Generation
GPRS2.5G
EDGE2.5G

UMTSName Interface
B1 (2100)UMTS
B2 (1900 PCS)UMTS
B5 (850)UMTS
B8 (900 GSM)UMTS
Supported UMTS ProtocolsName Generation
UMTS3G
HSUPA3.5G
HSUPA 5.83.5G
HSDPA3.5G
HSPA+ 21.13.5G (4G speed)
DC-HSDPA 42.23.5G

jp2

I'm not sure what your exact phone model is but I think it will work on the 3G network which is fine if you were planning on getting the 4.5Gb at 3G speed. Your latency won't be as good but it'll be fine for google maps.

If you know what frequency bands your phone supports I could tell u for sure 

atticusvero

Hi MacMe,

I saw the deadline, but I'll be there very soon: July 7th I'll land In Toronto! Smiley Very Happy and I can not wait to visit your country! (But without being able to use Google Maps It should be very difficult! Smiley Very Happy)

MacMe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @atticusvero, don't know about the phone,  but as for the SIM, it will be valid for 90 days after the current plan expires.  If you reactivate on a plan within those 90 days, the SIM and the original phone number would still be usable.

atticusvero

Hi jp2 and thanks for the answer! Unfortunatly my phone isn't listed there: Huawei P Smart. (I sent a mail asking to add It; do you know if it's compatible?).

I have an italian credit card so I'll buy a voucher to pay for It. 

Another question: I'll use it for 2 weeks: what will happen after I'll came back in Italy? Will the sim card expire after 30 days?

Thanks a lot for the support!

MacMe

Hi Andrew, the $45 5.5GB promotion ends July 9th:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-Get-4-5-GB-at-3G-speeds-for-40-...

Hopefully they will have something similar when you get here.

jp2

Yes you can do that if you don't have a canadian credit card you will need to purchase vouchers to pay for it. Please make sure your phone is compatiable with the public mobile network. https://willmyphonework.net

Need Help? Let's chat.