cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

BenWB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently activated account. Checked to make sure phone was compatible. Tried all tip to get service. Still no service.

42 REPLIES 42

BenWB

My problem isn't with your wording but rather the website for not being clearer. My apologies and sorry for the time you've spent helping.

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BenWB wrote:

"Could be anything"? Why even have me type it in then? 

if you don't like my wording, I can delete it. I too agree that carrier checking IMEI is useless, because only specs would tell whether it works or not, IMEI does not. Asking for IMEI while porting number is also useless. This way, the website just confuses people and wastes our time.

BenWB

"Could be anything"? Why even have me type it in then? When this website is telling me "this will work with our network" I'm taking their word for it. This feels an awful lot like I was given faulty information from PM that led to this whole mess. But reguardless, thanks for your time.

@BenWB wrote:

This is also confusing since in mobile network settings LTE and 3G are both options on this phone.

Screenshot_2019-05-12-Buy-OUKITEL-K6-6GB-64GB-MT6763-Octa-Core-4G-LTE-Smartphone-6-0-inch.jpg

Screenshot from the page I linked to above. My highlighting and texts in red, green and pink.

@BenWB 

This phone is an extremely bad fit for the North American market to begin with (it'll be fine in the majority of countries in Europe and Asia).

You can use this phone on the Rogers network until sometime in 2020 when they retire the 2G technology.

The IMEI checker on the PM website is checking for black listing only and is known to have returned false-positives in the past.

The fact that I can't find the Ouikitel K6 on https://willmyphonework.net/ is a red flag for me, prompting me to a) do more research on frequencies and/or b) staying away from the phone completely.

Edit to add NA market information and frequency checker blurb.

liuxinbing

@BenWB wrote:

Was able to get the sim card working on a borrowed phone and recieve a text. The sim card displays the correct phone number for the account now (it used to simply say "unknown") in my phone but I still can't send or recieve calls or texts.

So the "K6" is the problem after following my method. Get another phone then.

As mentioned before, IMEI is regardless. It is just a serial number.

@hycm53 wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

it is an Oukitel K6, when I put in the IMEI number the PM website recognizes it and tells me the correct model, it also says it will work on their network. The willmyphonework.net website likewise says it will work. My apologies for not being specific enough.

According this website Oukitel K6 only works with PM 2G.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/oukitel-k6

I'm not sure it's the problem you have. I think you may contact moderator team for your

issue:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@hycm53 

That information is wrong - Public Mobile does NOT support 2G network. Period.

Looking at the specs here: https://www.oukitel-store.com/oukitel-k6.html (which seems to be a somewhat official source) that phone does NOT support 3G bands 2 and 5, so will not work outside the Rogers network (which will have the 2G fall back until 2020) as mentioned by @geopublic .

BenWB

This is also confusing since in mobile network settings LTE and 3G are both options on this phone.

BenWB

This is a real shame but I'm thinking you're probably right. I'm rather upset by this since the PM website told me my phone would work when I checked it's compatibility multiple times.

BenWB

This is a real shame but I'm thinking you're probably right. I'm

@BenWB  Sadly that phone will not work with Public Mobile. It does not have any of the 3G or LTE bands. You going to need a new phone to get up and running.

More Info here:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-oukitel-k6

BenWB

Can't make or recieve calls or texts on my phone. Was able to get the sim card working on a borrowed phone and recieve a text. The sim card displays the correct phone number for the account now (it used to simply say "unknown") in my phone but I still can't send or recieve calls or texts.

@BenWB wrote:

Tried the lost/stolen thing and no luck. Still can't make calls/text.

Can you receive calls/texts?

@geopublic wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

The phone is a "K6", website told me it was compatible when I put in the imei. No error message, just told me there was a new sim card when I put in the brand new public mobile one. My account status is active. The message on the phone is "emergency calls only".

@BenWB  That phone should work it supports B2 and B5 (3G) according to the specs.

Edit: Disgard .....thought OP had the Lenovo K6 but this is not the case.Smiley Sad

@BenWB wrote:

it is an Oukitel K6, when I put in the IMEI number the PM website recognizes it and tells me the correct model, it also says it will work on their network. The willmyphonework.net website likewise says it will work. My apologies for not being specific enough.

According this website Oukitel K6 only works with PM 2G.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/oukitel-k6

I'm not sure it's the problem you have. I think you may contact moderator team for your

issue:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

BenWB

Tried the lost/stolen thing and no luck. Still can't make calls/text.

liuxinbing

Regardless of IMEI. Let's try one method to see where the problem is.

Borrow a working phone with a working SIM. Take the SIM out and put in the "K6". Phone working or not? No - your K6 is DOA - defective on arrival. Yes - next step

Put the public mobile SIM in the working phone. Working? No - the PM SIM is defective. Yes - Your K6 is the only thing that is defective.

@BenWB wrote:

I found a site selling Oikitel K6 but my message keeps getting deleted. That site says wcdma 900/2100MHz.  That is no good here.

BenWB

@BenWB wrote:

The phone is a "K6", website told me it was compatible when I put in the imei. No error message, just told me there was a new sim card when I put in the brand new public mobile one. My account status is active. The message on the phone is "emergency calls only".

Which "K6"?

I fond a couple more "K6" on this link:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

I cancelled my old plan with rogers. Was told I had 50 mins and 50 texts on the account for the next 30 days but only got messages telling me to "pay as I go" when I tried to message and call her earlier.

If you try to transfer that Rogers number, it will fail becauase you can't port a cancelled phone number.  If you want that, you need to reactivate Rogers plan.

That doesn't cause no service at Public Mobile.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

I cancelled my old plan with rogers. Was told I had 50 mins and 50 texts on the account for the next 30 days but only got messages telling me to "pay as I go" when I tried to message and call her earlier.

If you try to transfer that Rogers number, it will fail becauase you can't port a cancelled phone number.  If you want that, you need to reactivate Rogers plan.

If they first cancelled with Rogers and then activated with immediate port request (ie not taking a temporary Public Mobile number) it is possible that the system glitched. If the number is in no-mans-land, does the "immediately available outgoing calls) still kick in?

Glitch is possible. Not going to say it isn't but outgoing should still work even if port fails. Public doesn't know if Rogers will approve when request is sent and makes outgoing work immediately.  The new customer didn't port so this type of glitch isn't affecting him.

I agree. There is a lot of cross posting in this thread - I didn't have the "no porting" information when I replied...

@BenWB wrote:

There was no porting of numbers. The number with PM is brand new, I picked it from a list when I activated my account. The account is active on the selfserve site. Have tried restarting the phone a dozen times or so, still nothing. The sim card simply says "number: unknown" and I can't make calls or text. Thanks though.

I'm confused "number: unknown".

Try the lost/stolen trick

To report your phone stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-on tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  Then choose Suspend Service tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found. Restart your phone.

BenWB

I shouldn't have even brought up the rogers thing. The sim card I'm using now is a brand new PM one from a store, the accounts never transferred over or anything like that, they're completely separate so there's no interaction between PM and rogers. The websites tell me my phone will work, yet it isn't still. Thanks anyway.

@BenWB wrote:

K6 what? This is not enough information...

To work on Public Mobile the phone needs to support, at an absolute minimum, 3G bands 2(1900) and 5(850). You don't have the fall back to 2G as you would have with Rogers.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

If they first cancelled with Rogers and then activated with immediate port request (ie not taking a temporary Public Mobile number) it is possible that the system glitched. If the number is in no-mans-land, does the "immediately available outgoing calls) still kick in?

Glitch is possible. Not going to say it isn't but outgoing should still work even if port fails. Public doesn't know if Rogers will approve when request is sent and makes outgoing work immediately.  The new customer didn't port so this type of glitch isn't affecting him.

BenWB

There was no porting of numbers. The number with PM is brand new, I picked it from a list when I activated my account. The account is active on the selfserve site. Have tried restarting the phone a dozen times or so, still nothing. The sim card simply says "number: unknown" and I can't make calls or text. Thanks though.

@BenWB wrote:

@BenWB  That phone should work it supports B2 and B5 (3G) according to the specs.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

@BenWB wrote:

Check your phone is compartitable with PM:

https://willmyphonework.net/

Did you mean you cancelled your old plan with Rogers before you port Rogers number to PM, ? If it is the case, the porting couldn't be complete. You may contact moderator team:

Did you log in your account and the account status is actived?

Try restart your phone.

BenWB

its unlocked and I checked the model number through the website multiple times, it brought up the correct model and said it was compatible.

@BenWB wrote:

I didn't transfer the number, its a brand new one I selected when activating the plan.

Ok but that isn't causing the problem if you were porting.  It would make no difference.  Only incoming would not work until porting completes if you were. Something is wrong and something needs to be fixed.  We're trying to figure out what that is.

Need Help? Let's chat.