cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No minute used for calling toll free number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Tonight, I called an 1-888 number from my $10 50/50 plan and I was suprised to find out that no minutes was used.  

Date/TimeCall TypeOriginating #Destination #Originating LocationDestination LocationDurationData UsageUsage TypeCharge
20/09/2019 10:24Outgoing Call825xxxxxxx888xxxxxxxALBERTANANP area0:01:22 Minutes$0.00
20/09/2019 9:42Outgoing Call825xxxxxxx888xxxxxxxALBERTANANP area0:00:11 Minutes$0.00

NANP=North American Numbering Plan

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

At one whole cent per minute, the $5 add-on makes a limited minute plan practically unlimited.

I'd rather keep my cost obligations down than pay more for a service that might be wasted at the next renewal.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I mean I'm not worried about it for myself, on the unlimited minutes plan, but I'd feel bad for those with limited minutes having to wait on hold especially right now and have it eat up their minutes 😕

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Wouldn't it be wrong for toll free to cost us minutes? I mean isn't that the whole point of toll free? I know they were catered to land lines in the beginning, but wouldn't that be what toll free means nowadays? No minutes or additional costs? 

No, it isn't. Toll free only means no long distance charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Associated wrote:

You should call the 1888publicmobile

At midnight ET that got me no answer.

The only toll free number that I know for this place is

1-855-4PUBLIC

@Pawprints1986 

In principle of course but cellphones have their history rooted in airtime.

Pawprints1986

Wouldn't it be wrong for toll free to cost us minutes? I mean isn't that the whole point of toll free? I know they were catered to land lines in the beginning, but wouldn't that be what toll free means nowadays? No minutes or additional costs? 

We've noticed as of at least since late 2019, outgoing calls to toll free numbers do not consume minutes on the current $15 plan, so its nice to hear that this also applies for the old $10 plan. It's a great way to save minutes on these plans when calling banks, etc when you might be stuck on hold for a while without having to use VoIP apps.

Enjoy, and since it's unofficial, monitor your minutes remaining once in a while in self serve just in case it ever changes... 😏

Associated
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You should call the 1888publicmobile

Pawprints1986

this thread just taught me what NANP meant... so thank you!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

Tonight, I called an 1-888 number from my $10 50/50 plan and I was suprised to find out that no minutes was used.  

Date/TimeCall TypeOriginating #Destination #Originating LocationDestination LocationDurationData UsageUsage TypeCharge
20/09/2019 10:24Outgoing Call825xxxxxxx888xxxxxxxALBERTANANP area0:01:22 Minutes$0.00
20/09/2019 9:42Outgoing Call825xxxxxxx888xxxxxxxALBERTANANP area0:00:11 Minutes$0.00

NANP=North American Numbering Plan

Yup. Unofficial 🙂 Could change anytime.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Maybe it will show up in a little bit. Either that, or they consider toll free to be free calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.