cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No WIFI - need more data

Jimmyd9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good day, I am an established public mobile customer. I have been thrilled with the product and self service approach.

I moved to a rural location and no longer have Wi Fi, so I am relying on cellular data only.

I need a significant amount more of data (5-10gb).

Does public mobile have any large data add-on options? I don't like the thought of switching carriers too increase my data plan. Hopefully there is an option that is cost-effective.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

15 REPLIES 15

Friend of mine is getting setup with an xplornet LTE based fixed wireless connection in a couple weeks in northern Sask. Prices from $85-$110/mo for 10-50mbps. Curious to hear how it works for him.

There's also the classic satellite based xplornet service at $100/mo for "up to" 10mbps - which I have personally experienced on occasion during prime hours on a weekday. Almost unusable for remote desktop control due to the high latency. 😆

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniel_macleod1 

There's no unlimited data option here.

Daniel_macleod1

Hi there;

I would go with the top data plan with Public Mobile and get an app internet phone booster that will amplify your internet and still give you cost effective savings.

The (current) top plan for Public Mobile is:

$50 / month

This includes..

Unlimited Nationwide Calling

International Texting

Unlimited data (throttled to 128kbps)

8 gb of data

500mb of data bonus with auto pay

Then somehow tweak the rating to it's full effect with an app on android that optimizes your internet speed.

Disclaimer: Read app reviews first as you could find an app that doesn't actually do its purpose.

As this solution may not be the greatest for video loading, it will still allow an internet tether from the main phone (acting as a router).

Also you can add for just $15 / month an extra gb on your plan making it 9.5gb and also costing less than Bell's Unlimitited data option with only 10gb. 

Resulting in $65 / month

-$2 for auto pay

: $63 / MTH

@Jimmyd9 Bell has a promotion right now for 20G then unlimited data after. Telus and Rogers also offer this same package. 

Also here is that site that offers rural internet. 

https://get.xplornet.com

Screenshot_20200516_100816_com.brave.browser.jpg

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Jimmyd9 thanks for your question. 

Im not sure how rural you have gone. Also depending on your data use it can get very expensive for you to use add-ons. 

I used to live in a rural location the best option and most economical is to find an internet provider that can gove you home internet. I was with Xplornet. They were ok, but were also the only service. They operated off cell towers. 

For public the highest youll get is 8.5G for 50.00. You could buy two sim cards and have two plans @ 50.00 giving you 17G. But that is really expensive. 

You can check any provider that has a firestick (amazon) or something like that. I had one with Bell, it was for 50G but it was pretty expensive. By pretty I mean like 150.00 a month. Below are some options for mobile hotspot internet. 

Overall maybe Rogers has the best one where after a couple months 10G is only 3$, But look into that a bit more if you need to. With these you have to purchase a mobile hot spot device as qell and you will get 4G LTE speeds

So, overall you could go with the public :

1.50.00 plan do a couple add ons for 15.00ea brings you to 80.00.

2. Buy two 50.00 plans to get you 17G

3. Go with a mobile stick or mobile hotspot device.

4. Try to find a rural internet provider and I totally understand if you cant find one. 

Good luck.

Screenshot_20200516_095458_com.brave.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20200516_095607_com.brave.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20200516_095856_com.brave.browser.jpg

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jimmyd9 

@Jimmyd9 wrote:

Good day, I am an established public mobile customer. I have been thrilled with the product and self service approach.

I moved to a rural location and no longer have Wi Fi, so I am relying on cellular data only.

Does public mobile have any large data add-on options? I don't like the thought of switching carriers too increase my data plan. Hopefully there is an option that is cost-effective.

Also consider xplornet , and teksavy they both have rural packages, this way, you can still stay, with PM, here we like to help, but stay with us😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jimmyd9 

I agree with will13am. Flip it around. Instead of large cell phone data, get an internet service. Spend less here, spend more there. You're gonna pay for internet data one way or another.

Check all the possible providers available to you whether satellite or cable or adsl or home based cell service.

I'm in a rural area and I'm very happy with the Telus SmartHub service. I'm about 13km from the nearest tower. But I don't think they operate this service everywhere.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jimmyd9 currently the highest amount of data offered by  PM is 8.5 gigs of data on the $50 plan. Telus has an  unlimited 20 gig plan for $75. 

Peace of Mind™

Bonus 10GB for a total of 20GB. After 20GB, you can still surf and stream as you normally would, but apps and video will take longer to load2. Limited time offer.

$75

Due monthly

Link here scroll down to the middle of the page      

This should satisfy your data needs do the he same great coverage. You can also keep your PM plan but switxh down to a lower one ie The $15 one.Stay safe. 

May I suggest  Canadian Cell Supplies they currently have Telus Sims for $4.99 

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/telus-new-triple-cut-multi-sim...

I know somebody who was getting an extra $50 (last year actually 60) plan during the summer. She could have moved to another provider but she wouldn't give up the rewards she built up over years, and she would be saving also there test of the year.

You could consider another sim with public or somebody else. 

I do have high hopes of being that 12+0.5 for $60-2 plan.

Jimmyd9

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I already heart have the largest data plan, so it looks like I may need to switch carriers unfortunately. Anyone know of super good deals on large data packages ie 20+ GB?

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jimmyd9 wrote:

Maybe the 50$ for 8GB will suit your needs. And with autopay, it gives you another 500MB. Then purchase data add-on as needed. Data addon has a promo of 15$/1GB with regular price of 30$/1GB.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jimmyd9 , the major brands is the only option for large data buckets.  I would suggest shopping for LTE home internet.  I believe that is something offered in some rural areas of the country.  

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jimmyd9 

there is also the 40 plan with 4.5gb, hope you find a plan that works for you.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Jimmyd9 Hello the largest plan they have is the $50 8 gigabyte plus another 500 mb if you’re on auto pay maybe you could change to that if it suits your needs They also have 1 GB add-ons for $15 which are half price at the moment they are usually 30 bucks

Need Help? Let's chat.