cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Phone Service Abroad

Adam6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the $30 a month plan which says  I get international texts but when I arrived in the UK yesterday,  there was no connection to a local service provider and the phone was saying Emergency Service only.

Also, do I get my 0.5 gig monthly data internationally or does that apply only to Canada or North America. Thx

Adam

4 REPLIES 4

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There is only roaming in the US.  You could either buy a local sim or use sim like Gigsky.  If you have acess to wi-fi then you could use apps like Skype, Whatsapp, Textnow, or Fongo.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

You can call back to Canada for free on https://www.fongo.com/

They have other paid services you can explore, including texting.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I think you may have misunderstood international texting, others have as well. 

International texting means that you can text worldwide from inside Canada. This is because your only connection to the PM service is available in Canada through the bell Telus network.

You could purchase a prepaid phone service while your're there or check out one of the free WiFi calling services like fongo.

Your number will change in either case, but at least you'll be able to communicate.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Phone will not work there.

International text basically means you can text international while your in Canada.

Only roaming PM offers is USA.

On anoter note...you can download textnow...you'd be able to get a free Canadian numberand be able to text n call for free via wifi...and people will be able to call and text you.

Need Help? Let's chat.