cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Amber Alert

wildstreak73
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank God that we don't get them! There is an active Amber Alert and I never got it! Are we exempt from them?

16 REPLIES 16

@surreyboz wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Actually I just got the alert couple minutes ago and I only connected to the Wi-Fi and I still able to receive the alert. So I don't think you only have to turn your data on in order to receive the alert... 

You don't need data to be enabled to receive these alerts.  Even with data disabled, your phone will still connect to the LTE network if you tell it do so.

As far as I know Amber Alerts have been around before the LTE era, so from what I know Amber Alert is not linked to LTE Network, they are based on your Location regardless where your phone number is from as long as you are in Coverage area. Now those new ALERT READY MESSAGES, those for Sure are only available on LTE Network. 

Yes, Amber Alerts have been around long before this system.  However, I interpret this thread being about the official alert system and how the OP doesn't want to hear the alarm/siren sound.

As for @zfx, this member seemed surprised that the he/she was notified of the Amber Alert that was received despite cellular data being disabled.  My point was that as long as you are connected to the LTE network, the user does not need to have cellular data enabled, nor otherwise need any type of internet connection (Wi-Fi included) to receive said alert,

Please checkout the official https://www.alertready.ca/ for complete information.

Chid was found safe with mom.  I don't know details behind it 

dmbcanada
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Only one phone in our household received the Ambert Alert.  I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 and according to the Telus website my phone is compatible, yet I never get any alerts.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Actually I just got the alert couple minutes ago and I only connected to the Wi-Fi and I still able to receive the alert. So I don't think you only have to turn your data on in order to receive the alert... 

You don't need data to be enabled to receive these alerts.  Even with data disabled, your phone will still connect to the LTE network if you tell it do so.

As far as I know Amber Alerts have been around before the LTE era, so from what I know Amber Alert is not linked to LTE Network, they are based on your Location regardless where your phone number is from as long as you are in Coverage area. Now those new ALERT READY MESSAGES, those for Sure are only available on LTE Network. 

@zfx wrote:

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

And not all phones are supported for the amber alerts.

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@wildstreak73 wrote:

No, I am not on LTE. I am on 3G but only getting 2.5mb.

It's not about network or data plan speeds.  The only thing that matters is the type of network that you are connected to.  If you have a 3g data plan here but are connected to the LTE network, you will/should receive the alerts.  If you have your phone permanently set to use only the 3g network, you will not recvieve these alerts.

wildstreak73

I hear them before the phones do. I stream a police scanner on the Internet. I heear the OPP alert tone first.

wildstreak73

I have an LG.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@wildstreak73 wrote:

Thank God that we don't get them! There is an active Amber Alert and I never got it! Are we exempt from them?

I got them (twice). Not an issue for me and I don't mind them.

wildstreak73

No, I am not on LTE. I am on 3G but only getting 2.5mb.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Which phone you use?i got 2 times today,I have iPhone6s,my daughter has LG,she didn’t get any amber alert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wildstreak73 wrote:

Affected "Amber's" will be delighted with your keen interest in their plight.

/s

@wildstreak73 wrote:

No one in the country is exempt from them.  And yes, they come through to Public Mobile customers, but only if you're connected to the LTE network.

Need Help? Let's chat.