cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user, data usage seems extremely innacurate

trevorg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to my public mobile plan approximately 9 days ago, coming from Koodo prepaid. I am running Android. 

On Koodo, a 1 GB block of data would typically last me 2 months, however, after just these 9 days on public mobile, my Data & Add-On Usage page says I have already used 815 MB of my 1 GB plan. 

My usage has not been unusual in any way.  When I look on my phone under Mobile Data Ranking, and view usage of all apps for the last MONTH (most of which was while on Koodo, not Public Mobile), the total adds up to a little over 900MB, yet Public Mobile thinks I've used almost that much in 9 days.  (I haven't been able to find any GOOD apps for detailed mobile data analysis on Android, and the default utility kinda sucks, any suggestions are appreciated.)

The only thing I can think of that might explain this is if my first purchased month was not a full month, so my data has been pro-rated in some sense, but looking under my billing, it appears that I've been charged for an entire month.

It seems to me like something very weird is going on.

37 REPLIES 37

@Lw17 wrote:

Hi.  Did this ever get resolved?

@Lw17  The Public Mobile data counter is very accurate, nothing to resolve.

Lw17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi.  Did this ever get resolved?

trevorg

My wife's account just finished switching over to PM from Koodo prepaid, and the same thing appears to be happening again.....where she could also typically make 1GB last for over two months on Koodo, she has burned through 640MB on PM in one week of usage.

This is unreal.

If anyone can suggest apps for *detailed* data usage analysis on Android or iOS, please chime in because I'd really like to find out if PM's numbers are accurate.

Also, is there a way to unmark a thread as solved, because support basically said it's fine, which it obviously isn't.

trevorg

Holy smokes that sounds impressive, any chance you could share it?

@trevorgMy design is go through the pages and stops when it finds the line that matches the last entry that is store in my spreadsheet. The Greasemonkey add on should make the job realtively straightforward but please be polite as the site is already overloaded.

trevorg

I have 143 pages though!!!  

If they added two more dropdowns, one to filter by UsageType, and one to control the number of returned rows, it would be a total cakewalk to copy and paste into Excel.  Any dev environment I've worked in before this would be at most half an hour of work.

Alternatively, I wonder how hard it would be to write a python script to auto-scrape data usage.  But then, I' a little suspicious about this data in the first place, I find it difficult to believe these numbers....14 x 143 = 2002 line items.

Am I the only one seeing this?  If you guys click the ">>" repeatedly, does it not generate an astoundingly large number of pages for you?

@trevorgI suggest you cut and paste each page into a spreadsheet like Excel. It will make sorting / visualization much easier. I use a screen scraping tool but cut and paste works just as well.

You can also add a script to look for a match the first line to any future cut and paste thing you are going to do so it won't be repeated.

trevorg

Well at least you can click on the column headings to sort the items. It looks to me that it will then sort all items in the whole list.

That's not the behavior I'm seeing, at all.

One might also think clicking the ">>" would move to the last record, as has been the standard in web grids forever, but one would be wrong again.  Quite a frustrating experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trevorg wrote:

@Anonymous 

So did your plan recently renew as to why your plan data says 0 consumed.  

It may have renewed overnight, I've been on wifi all day so far so will have to see how it changes when I use mobile data (I used some now, I imagine it takes a while to pass through to reporting).  The fact that it's impossible to review the history of what's happened is a big part of the problem.

Do you have wifi failover where the phone has a weak wifi and so automatically uses data.

Nope, I definitely have this disabled.

@GinYVR 

Their link is here and you are only supposed to contact them AFTER you had tried to work it out with Public Mobile.

Well, they already failed to get back to me once with a review by Telus, requiring me to re-request and re-authenticate (the fact that I'd already done that "should" be in their logs, and certainly is noted in this thread).  But mistakes happen, let's see what happens this time.

It might be possible that your account hasn't been assigned the 1Gb Promo by Public Mobile yet, they did say allow up to 2 weeks for it to process.

Perhaps.  I got a text message saying it was.  If they were explicit in their descriptions we wouldn't have to speculate.  Honest mistake I suppose.

Could your phone had install a security or OS update via the data network without you knowing about it or Google Play app updates?

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but when they can't be bothered to include blatantly useful features like the ability to filter on Call/Usage Type and other useful things, something that is utterly trivial to implement, I find it difficult to be super forgiving.

Well at least you can click on the column headings to sort the items. It looks to me that it will then sort all items in the whole list.

I think you've been very respectfully patient. At least not setting your hair on fire like some people do. But those mods really need to get at it. I suspect they might need to in effect completely start you over and then manually replace your information.

Maybe I'll try this @Alan_K.

trevorg

@Anonymous 

It may have renewed overnight, I've been on wifi all day so far so will have to see how it changes when I use mobile data (I used some now, I imagine it takes a while to pass through to reporting).  The fact that it's impossible to review the history of what's happened is a big part of the problem.

Do you have wifi failover where the phone has a weak wifi and so automatically uses data.

@GinYVR 

Their link is here and you are only supposed to contact them AFTER you had tried to work it out with Public Mobile.

Well, they already failed to get back to me once with a review by Telus, requiring me to re-request and re-authenticate (the fact that I'd already done that "should" be in their logs, and certainly is noted in this thread).  But mistakes happen, let's see what happens this time.

It might be possible that your account hasn't been assigned the 1Gb Promo by Public Mobile yet, they did say allow up to 2 weeks for it to process.

Perhaps.  I got a text message saying it was.  If they were explicit in their descriptions we wouldn't have to speculate.  Honest mistake I suppose.

Could your phone had install a security or OS update via the data network without you knowing about it or Google Play app updates?

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but when they can't be bothered to include blatantly useful features like the ability to filter on Call/Usage Type and other useful things, something that is utterly trivial to implement, I find it difficult to be super forgiving.

KIQbj5y

@trevorgI assume you want to contact CRTC to complain? If so, the organisation that is responsible is actually called CCTS. Their link is here and you are only supposed to contact them AFTER you had tried to work it out with Public Mobile.

It might be possible that your account hasn't been assigned the 1Gb Promo by Public Mobile yet, they did say allow up to 2 weeks for it to process.. from other messages there are people who haven't got theirs either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trevorg 

Wow. What a mess. The gift data is called 1GB Promo. Your 1GB is the add-on. No it certainly should only pull from the add-on when plan data is consumed.

What does the overview list for add-ons show?

What if you were to turn on airplane mode and let it sit overnight like that and then in the morning check the usage logs and see if anything is being taken somehow. Maybe just maybe another phone has somehow been linked to your data. Kinda like we hear people saying that someone has their phone number or that someone else is answering.

It's rather discouraging to hear the responses (or lack thereof) you're getting from the mods.

trevorg

So far it is not looking good.  I was told a ticket had been opened with Telus to investigate, I never heard back, and then when I followed up, they again asked me to authenticate my identity (as I already had done prior to an investigation being opened), as if our prior conversation hadn't taken place.

And two new discoveries have me even more concerned:  

1. (message to the mods) Because my 1GB was close to running out, I purchased a 1 GB add-on so I didn't get caught with no data.  Looking at my account today, it shows that I've now also used used 665 MB of that add-on, over and above my monthly 1GB! But it seems to be even worse than that.  As descibed here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Showing-some-love-to-our-customers-with...

...there should be an additional 1GB of data available on my account (I did receive an SMS that I received this bonus)....which would mean I've already used the 1GB add-on I purchased, and the 665MB consumed is from this bonus.

This level of data usage is utterly unprecedented for me....typically, I used 500MB or so when I was on Koodo prepaid, I simply cannot imagine how that has suddenly jumped to 3GB+/month.

2. Looking at my account yet again today I see:DjzQd8T

This shows I have 1024 MB remaining in my default monthly plan.  However, rather than data being consumed from that "free" plan, it seems they will consume data from purchased add-ons first!  The reason I purchased an add-on is so I don't lose access to data if my monthly plan runs out.  According to the website:  "Add-Ons that are not U.S. Roaming related don’t have any expiry dates. Any remaining data or minutes in your Add-On will continue to roll over until they are used up."  This implies that a person can use it as an ongoing buffer, but unless I'm misinterpreting the usage posted above, they don't disclose that they have designed their billing to consume add-ons first!

If this is actually the case, this level of misrepresentation seems to me to be well into the territory of what the CRTC would (or should) be concerned about.  Does anyone have any experience contacting them?

trevorg

@kselmak 

> Did you get any response?

They've now open a ticket with Telus to investigate, so hopefully something good comes of that.

> Out of curiosity, probably has nothing to do with anything but I'm curious if you were able to port by yourself from postpaid account or were you on prepaid account and needed mods to port it fits you

Since I was on prepaid I had to get a moderator to port my number, which seems rather absurd to me.  Whatever the process happens to be, why couldn't that be implemented in a self-serve form?  But then one might also ask why do we have to go through 20+ pages of usage history and manually add up individual line items of data consumption.

@geopublic wrote:

@trevorg wrote:

> The data usage counters on the system are run by Telus and not PM. It is the exact same data counter that Telus and Koodo use for their subscribers and it's accurate.

I suspect what has happened is that my Koodo usage (prior to switching over to PM) is also being counted under my PM account.  If the usage table handles all platforms, and they query the usage table on telephone number &/or email address, this could easily happen.

@trevorg wrote:

> The data usage counters on the system are run by Telus and not PM. It is the exact same data counter that Telus and Koodo use for their subscribers and it's accurate.

I suspect what has happened is that my Koodo usage (prior to switching over to PM) is also being counted under my PM account.  If the usage table handles all platforms, and they query the usage table on telephone number &/or email address, this could easily happen.

@trevorg  No, that is not possible because your Telus acct# is different from your Koodo acct# is different from your PM acct#.

Yes it shouldn't be possible but it looks like it is, in only 9 days they can go easily through history and see that usage is much less, so there is a glitch. Why did their usage history migrate with their number over from Koodo to public, I don't know, but it really looks like it did. And if that's the case we will probably see it again unless mods figure it out the source of the problem and are able to fix it.  Well we'll see

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@trevorg 

Did you get any response?

Did they correct the data count?

Thanks

PS. Out of curiosity, probably has nothing to do with anything but I'm curious if you were able to port by yourself from postpaid account or were you on prepaid account and needed mods to port it fits you

Thanks again

VanZem

@YVR wrote:

Agree. Android has been accurate within 10%. I've noticed that the carrier usually is a little bit lower than what android shows 

I think that a phone normally indicates more data traffic as it shows all traffic, including network maintenance (or whatever it’s called) data - that is not part of our personal data allocation. 

trevorg

@geopulic

@trevorg  No, that is not possible because your Telus acct# is different from your Koodo acct# is different from your PM acct#.

Is this based on reviewing the source code?

@trevorg No, based on my previous experience as a software developer and common sense.

@geopublic 

You're a software developer, but are unable (it seems) to consider the possibility that AccountNumber is not necessarily the key field used to identify a user when it comes to data usage?  

@trevorg wrote:

@geopulic

@trevorg No, based on my previous experience as a software developer and common sense.

trevorg

@geopulic

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@trevorg wrote:

@trevorg wrote:

I dunno. Earlier in this thread, kselmak offered what I thought to be a plausible explanation. We know that there are shared services between Koodo and here. The same backend as the saying goes. Until trevorg gets any kind of explanation of what happened other than just resetting the data counter we'll never know.

@trevorg wrote:

@trevorg wrote:

trevorg

@trevorg wrote:

> When I first started out with PM I had the same issue. Moderator response was that the numbers were correct and when I manually went through it they were correct.

I haven't, in part because I clicked "last page" about 20 times, and it never seemed to ever come to the last page.  Considering there are many other obvious bugs in the implementation of this grid, I don't feel like spending hours clicking through pages and manually adding up rows of data that I don't really have a great feeling can be trusted to be correct, considering the number of other obvious bugs in the programming.  I've never, ever consumed data at anything approching this rate, and then I switch to a new peovider and immediately my usage goes through the roof....and also the provider has numerous bugs in their UI - sorry, I'm not buying it.

Absolutely nothing about this experience makes sense to me, but I am completely open to being proven wrong.

@trevorg  The data usage counters on the system are run by Telus and not PM. It is the exact same data counter that Telus and Koodo use for their subscribers and it's accurate.

Yes, the PM usage reporting interface is full of bugs and in many cases slow and unusable but don't confuse this interface with the actual data counter systems.

In fact when you message the moderators for a dispute they simply forward the complaint to Telus support and they investigate it. In my case the response was "it's correct" and guess what it was when I went through the logs.

If you feel that it is incorrect then  please let the moderator team know and they (Telus)  will investigate.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@trevorg So sorry that you are experiencing problems, but as others reported, contact a moderator to report the problem and they can assist you further. In the meantime, what I do is turn off cellular data and only turn it on when I need to use it.  Also programs can run in the background that can eat data, doing automatic updates etc. so it's good to keep an eye on that too. 

It takes aproximately 48-72 hours (2-3 days) for a response from a moderator. Be patient, they will respond and help you. 

trevorg

> When I first started out with PM I had the same issue. Moderator response was that the numbers were correct and when I manually went through it they were correct.

I haven't, in part because I clicked "last page" about 20 times, and it never seemed to ever come to the last page.  Considering there are many other obvious bugs in the implementation of this grid, I don't feel like spending hours clicking through pages and manually adding up rows of data that I don't really have a great feeling can be trusted to be correct, considering the number of other obvious bugs in the programming.  I've never, ever consumed data at anything approching this rate, and then I switch to a new peovider and immediately my usage goes through the roof....and also the provider has numerous bugs in their UI - sorry, I'm not buying it.

Absolutely nothing about this experience makes sense to me, but I am completely open to being proven wrong.

@trevorg  You are correct about bugs. So from your screenshot it looks like you used 150MB in two days. Did you try going manually through the pages and add up usage that way?

When I first started out with PM I had the same issue. Moderator response was that the numbers were correct and when I manually went through it they were correct.

Let us know what happens.

@trevorg wrote:

Ok, I have contacted the mods, many thanks to everyone for their help!!

EDIT:  Someone ent me this very interesting PM:

"My suspicion is that since they share system with koodo and since you have the same number and probably same email it was never reset, so they probably count both together"

I do indeed use the same number and email address, so I wonder if this could be the case!!??

Hi @trevorg it was me I thought maybe you didn't notice the message I sent above. The wait seems to be long and I wanted you to contact them before you run out of data

trevorg

Ok, I have contacted the mods, many thanks to everyone for their help!!

EDIT:  Someone ent me this very interesting PM:

"My suspicion is that since they share system with koodo and since you have the same number and probably same email it was never reset, so they probably count both together"

I do indeed use the same number and email address, so I wonder if this could be the case!!??

Yup. I'd say that's proof positive that your data numbers are incorrect, and I tend to believe the user in all cases because you know your habits.

I'm not a moderator, but PM should agree! If you can survive the 48 hours (or so?) on 200Mb, I'd say your issue will be solved! As @kselmak stated, attach both those screenshots when you send it and this should expedite your issue being resolved. 

Contact @Moderator_Team
It can take up to 48 hours for the team to respond to your concerns.

About @Moderator_Team

Need Help? Let's chat.