cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user, data usage seems extremely innacurate

trevorg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to my public mobile plan approximately 9 days ago, coming from Koodo prepaid. I am running Android. 

On Koodo, a 1 GB block of data would typically last me 2 months, however, after just these 9 days on public mobile, my Data & Add-On Usage page says I have already used 815 MB of my 1 GB plan. 

My usage has not been unusual in any way.  When I look on my phone under Mobile Data Ranking, and view usage of all apps for the last MONTH (most of which was while on Koodo, not Public Mobile), the total adds up to a little over 900MB, yet Public Mobile thinks I've used almost that much in 9 days.  (I haven't been able to find any GOOD apps for detailed mobile data analysis on Android, and the default utility kinda sucks, any suggestions are appreciated.)

The only thing I can think of that might explain this is if my first purchased month was not a full month, so my data has been pro-rated in some sense, but looking under my billing, it appears that I've been charged for an entire month.

It seems to me like something very weird is going on.

37 REPLIES 37

Can you please contact the moderator team about this and make sure you supply those screanshots

Wait may be long

Ps. My suspicion is that since they share system with koodo and since you have the same number and probably same email it was never reset, so they probably count both together

trevorg

Thanks, didn't know you could see detailed usage.  So according to the reporting provided by PM's own systems, it seems that the problem is on their side - they report two different versions of data usage.  The detailed usage is correct, the summary usage is incorrect.

Can I contact a moderator to get this resolved?

2019-08-14 06_57_10-Public Mobile - Data & Add-On Usage.jpg2019-08-14 06_56_52-Public Mobile - Usage History - detailed.jpg

EDIT:  Actually no that's wrong.  It doesn't work for me to click the button a second time to get the data lines to rise to the top so I had clicked on the DataUage column header to get it to the top, but due to a bug in the the grid (there are several bugs in it actually), I can't find a way to get all my data showing at the top.

The simple and obvious solution to that would be to add a dropdown to filter on CallType and add the ability to modify the number of lines shown in the grid, makes one wonder why that isn't available.

I would like a moderator to look at this because their measured usage is entirely inconsistnt with my history as well as my phone's reporting, and the bugs in their wb form appear to make it practically impossible to get any insight into where the disagreement has occurred.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

You may have already done this. But when my data seems wierd, I check my data usage and it usually gives me some insight into where my data went.

This is a screenshot I did for another PM user earlier this week. Click on Plans and Add ons, then Usage history. Set the date from your signup date to today. Click data usage, then click it a second time. All your data should come to the top of the chart. Ignore the MMS entries as they do not count towards your data usage.

Hopefully that will give you some indication of what is happening to you. It could be one large spike as mentioned earlier in regards to wifi being down, or large daily doses which may indicate your phone is requesting more data, possibly due to unclosed apps or autoplaying videos. 

datausage.PNG

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

@trevorg  Android's built-in data usage is pretty accurate for me when i compare it to the PM usage history log. Just set the date as your PM plan start date and the reset duration every 30 days.

Not sure why you are having issues. Maybe your WiFi was diwn without realizing it.

Agree. Android has been accurate within 10%. I've noticed that the carrier usually is a little bit lower than what android shows 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@trevorg  Android's built-in data usage is pretty accurate for me when i compare it to the PM usage history log. Just set the date as your PM plan start date and the reset duration every 30 days.

Not sure why you are having issues. Maybe your WiFi was diwn without realizing it.

trevorg

> Can you figure out the time / place where the traffic went?

No, the native data usage tools on Android don't seem to be able to report at a very granular level.  But according to my phone, I've only used a gig of data in the entire last month, whereas PM says I've used almost that in 11 days.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@trevorgThere is no prorated system at Public Mobile. Can you figure out the time / place where the traffic went?

Need Help? Let's chat.