cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

Christine6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just signed up and waiting for SIM card, does it come with a new number and what plan is best for data, calls and texting? Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8

That's a great plan for heavy talker and if you don't have access to free WiFi, also if you spend time on public transportation I would suggest that.

If I'm not mistaken you can expect another cycle free, u believe promo is still on

Hope you save lot of money

Cheers

If you are on a normal post paid contract type plan currently it doesn't matter when you port your number over as presumably they refund any unused $$ back to you. Telus refunded me few $$ when I switched. But yes, if you are on a prepaid plan like PM you won't likely be refunded anything if you leave before your paid up term expires.

But, waiting until the very last minute if on a prepaid plan isn't likely good either. If the port messes up you either wind up paying for another month at your old provider or your old account and number expire and you may not then be able to get your old number back.

If your SIM card arrives in the next couple of days, say by New Year's Day, I would get it activated right away. I won't be surprised to see the current promo of the second month free disappear quickly anytime from Jan 1 on. The December 2018 promo last year ended Jan 1 evening.

AE_Collector

plans.png

Christinepro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a new number. I then filled out a form that is on the website, where I was able to keep my old number and cancel my old carrier. I signed up for the $25 plan which comes with unlimited Canadian calls, texts, and 1 gig of data. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

13 plan is best

I use textNow to turn it into unlimited Canada and USA

It's just so adorable and unlimited incoming minutes are gold.

But I have access to Internet most of the time

Do you have credit cards? I highly suggest using it, it gives you extra data and knocks off $2 every due date. 

You don't need to rely on the autopay, you can use vouchers or pay manually just the fact that you are registered with it will bring all these benefits

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Christine6 welcome to Public Mobile (PM).  SIM cards don;t come with anything.  You'll need to either activate yourself online, or go to a retailer that charges a fee to activate a plan for the customer.  I recommend you wait until you see a deal you like and then activate the SIM card at that time.  Worst thing is activating when you're a day or 2 away from a nice promo.  Right now there's a nice promo that might be worth it, so hopefully the SIM card comes before these holiday deals are over.

You'll need to choose your own phone number during the activation stage, and asking which is the best data plan is dependant on your needs.  You'll need to ask yourself, what will I be using the data for?  I suggest you start with the $25 plan that'll give you 500MB, and if you go with autopay you'll get an additional 500MB.  From there you can see how your first 10 - 15 days goes, and if you find you are using a lot more data then you can always update your plan the next pay cycle to the higher data plan.

What kind of plan do you have at the moment?

Are you planning to port your number?

You could start matching your preset plan and see if you need more or less, switching is very easy

The only thing to keep in mind is postponing the change to the renewal day so that you didn't lose what you already paid for, there is no prorating with prepaid providers

If you are in doubt about anything come here to ask for opinion or advice before making a change

Welcome to pm

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Depends on your data usage

25 starts the unlimited calls and texts

If you dont call much 15 is ok too

I find 40 best, as it's small price jump for the big allowance increase

Need Help? Let's chat.