cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New calling option add on

Brent_liza1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

it would be a great option for public mobile to add on a free public mobile to public mobile calling option. My grandmother has the 50 minute plan I believe it’s an old $10 plan. It’d be nice if there was an option to pay a tiny bit more to get free calling between in network customers. I know she doesn’t use the phone much but it’d be nice to have. 

4 REPLIES 4

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe that with number porting being so widespread,  I don't see many (if any) carriers offering in-network calling again.  There's also the issue of how carriers have traditionally handled in-network calling, and suspect that Public Mobile would likely include calls to an from Telus Mobility and Koodo Mobile customers, even if they don't advertise it. 

At least "the dream is alive" still with some VoIP providers... ie voip.ms - my dad and I both have lines through them, and we can call each other without any per-minute costs now... Vonage does this too, but they are way too expensive.

Most of the time it's moot though with Public Mobile - 500 minute add on is dirt cheap, and all current plans include at least unlimited incoming calls, so the person with the $25 plan or higher can call the person with the $15 plan and all is good...

@Brent_liza1 wrote:

it would be a great option for public mobile to add on a free public mobile to public mobile calling option. My grandmother has the 50 minute plan I believe it’s an old $10 plan. It’d be nice if there was an option to pay a tiny bit more to get free calling between in network customers. I know she doesn’t use the phone much but it’d be nice to have. 

It sounds like that would be a great option for you and some other customers. I would be against this option though. I believe that it would add more confusion to the plan line-up. Also, there will be disputes about whether a call was a Public-to-Public call. Espcially in the case of if the other caller has ported a number to a different carrier, there is no 100% accurate way for a customer to easily check if the call is within the network. I realize that carriers can check, but even databases on the internet that check the staus of this can have a delay or have mistakes.

I believe that with number porting being so widespread,  I don't see many (if any) carriers offering in-network calling again.  There's also the issue of how carriers have traditionally handled in-network calling, and suspect that Public Mobile would likely include calls to an from Telus Mobility and Koodo Mobile customers, even if they don't advertise it. 

I also think that the market has moved away from these type of limited usage plans, and would not be suprised if Public Mobile eventually goes back to "unlimited or nothing" when it comes to the basic features of plans. 

Based on all this, I believe that it would be more likely for a lower priced unlimited calling plan to come out than for Public Mobile to offer a Public-to-Public add-on package.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Brent_liza1 wrote:

Hello,

Get grandmother a 500minute / $5 add-on to her current plan. She'll have an additional 500 minutes of Canada wide calling that will kick in if her regular plan minutes get used up.

If she doesn't use much of the add-on minutes, they just keep rolling over until they're used up...even if that takes several months or more.

If grandmother is using more than that...maybe she needs to consider the $25 plan with unlimited Canada wide calling.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Brent_liza1 if you upgrade them to the $15 plan they will have unlimited incoming calls and unlimited international text... seems like that would be a better option

Need Help? Let's chat.