cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plans and Pricing

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So it looks like there is new data plans and new pricing.  3G data and bonus data plan and then LTE Plans.  Check out this thread https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Price-Difference-from-advertised-to-rea... where on the general plan page we get what we have been used to for plans but when people have ordered their sim and go to setup their plan they get this

new Plans.PNG

So if you want more data you can get the 3G speed 12GB plan plus 6GB Bonus for 18GB over 90 days.

This could bring over some who need more data and are ok with 3G but the price increase in the LTE is what worried me for the future.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

86 REPLIES 86

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Or kiosks or a phone number to call.

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Based on the new pricing structure and PM customer service model, there is now no reason for them not to have wifi calling volte and name display. 

jshmeek
Sadly, that's true. But a pretty big reminder if you ask me.

Koodo's similar $65 plan has more data, monthly plans, and the costs of extra overhead from the call centres, customer support, etc. I would be far more understanding of a $5 or $10 increase, but $20 a month is over the top, and essentially negates any of their LTE plans.

tzliu

New pricing scheme kinds of reminding everyone, so we not to forget, PM is after all owned by Telus.   

jshmeek

The monthly cost of the 90 day (6GB or 2GB per month equivalent) plan is now $60. For $5 more on Fido, you're getting Canada-wide talk instead of province-wide talk, the extra gig of data, and only post-paid monthly (if that's your thing, certainly allows for porting to a better plan and getting prorated). There's simply no incentive anymore. Can't see how Public would think this will help them. It sure is sad to see such a rapid and high increase (50%) in rates overnight. For now, I'll stick with my 6gb lte/talk+text 90 day plan (I can kiss the hopes of the 12gb plan for all coming back).

On top of all of the other pros, they also have subsidized device options.

@jshmeek wrote:

Thought I'd share my feelings on these new plans.

These plans at 90 days give almost no incentive to prepay ahead of time over a postpaid account at Fido/Koodo/Virgin, and at the loss of data from the other plans (as others have pointed out). All of the other carriers have call centers, and they don't have a sluggish self-serve system.

With this on my mind, as soon as I see a solid promo plan at Fido again (tough to get in BC), I'm leaving. I'm no longer a fan of having to risk sacrificing my current prepaid costs to switch to a better rate, and a possible rate increase doesn't help this at all.

I hope Public rethinks their pricing here. Otherwise, see ya!

Just checked. The current PM plan price with 30 days, canada wide calling, texting, and 2GB of LTE data is more expensive than Fido's 3GB data plan, which has fido roam and spotify (this is in Ontario btw).

Yes the 90 day plans do have those somewhat attractive price points, but even the same 90 day plan (6gb) is the same price has Fido's 3GB. So for the same cost, and if i were looking for a provider, I'd go with Fido given that you get roaming ($5 a day in the US/ $10 a day international) and spotify premium plus 1GB more of data for the same price

jshmeek

Thought I'd share my feelings on these new plans.

These plans at 90 days give almost no incentive to prepay ahead of time over a postpaid account at Fido/Koodo/Virgin, and at the loss of data from the other plans (as others have pointed out). All of the other carriers have call centers, and they don't have a sluggish self-serve system.

What concerns me the most about these plans is the wide price difference between the majority of plans that were offered just the other day and these new ones. With the legacy rates going up earlier this year, I wouldn't be surprised if everyones rates get raised (and maybe not given the same option to move to Koodo and keep the rate).

With this on my mind, as soon as I see a solid promo plan at Fido again (tough to get in BC), I'm leaving. I'm no longer a fan of having to risk sacrificing my current prepaid costs to switch to a better rate, and a possible rate increase doesn't help this at all.

I hope Public rethinks their pricing here. Otherwise, see ya!

srlawren

@PBForMe wrote:

If 3g/hspa is being throttled to 2.5mbps, would that apply to existing users when their phones switch to 3g for lack of coverage or lack of LTE, thereby throttling existing users? 

@PBForMe No.  Existing customers, and new customers that choose a 4G data option, will not be throttled regardless of which network they are connected to (HSPA or LTE)

PBForMe wrote: 

Or are the new user themselves being throttled to 2.5mbps independent of connection type 3g/4g and old users still have access to full 3g speeds

@PBForMe Yes, for new customers selecting a 3G data option.  

However, you can still select a 4G data option which operates at full speed regardless of network, though the prices have gone up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is some dictatorial African nation inflation going on over here lol.

Great thread - got my popcorn and peanuts and watching intently. 

Remember that the Market will pay what the Market will bear.

If there is no demand for these plans, PM will come back with something new.

My guess is that the Telus folks realized there was a helluva lot of cannibalization going on, on their end lol. 

PBForMe

The wording on the announcement is ambiguous. I know existing plans are unchanged, but...

If 3g/hspa is being throttled to 2.5mbps, would that apply to existing users when their phones switch to 3g for lack of coverage or lack of LTE, thereby throttling existing users?

Or are the new users themselves being throttled to 2.5mbps independent of connection type 3g/4g and old users still have access to full 3g speeds?

Or is 3g being specifically throttled to 2.5mbps for new users only and they have no access to LTE? 

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MK78 wrote:

"Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. "

So are the "3G" plans restricted to the old/congested HSPA network, or is it simply "throttled" LTE to 2.5mbps...BTW, 2.5mbps isn't much, traditional 3G HSPA speeds go much faster than that. If it's Throttled LTE, then it should be like 5mbps then it'd be ok.

Interested in finding this out as well because latency is the key here especially when connected on LTE...also what is the upstream cap?

The below wording seems to suggest those new data plans will still be connecting on LTE band.

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network.

Jamar_so_far
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@VlntSpcmnSpff

Very suprised to see such a hike in prices. Especially when Freedom Mobile is offering such a competitive deal with the Canada 150 plan (3gb data/month anywhere) and unltd calling/global text for 55...

Freedom is now 5 bucks cheaper with an extra gb. 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
As everyone else here, if it turns out that those prices are indeed the new prices, then this time PM disappointed big time here. It will be no longer a service that I would recommend or even mention anymore unfortunately

VlntSpcmnSpff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Really disappointed in the new LTE plan pricing. Was planning to jump on the 90 day/6GB/Province-wide plan for $120. Now that plan is $180. A 50% price increase overnight.

Koodo / Fido / Virgin all have 3GB per month with Canada-wide calling for $65. An extra GB and Canada-wide calling are absolutley worth the additional $5 per month. Not to mention the more traditional customer service channels available and any other bonuses/perks provided by those carriers.

Public Mobile's offerings no longer have any value for me. Too bad.

SD08

Interesting... When talk and data are included, it actually costs $16 more to NOT have texting than to have texting.  Robot LOL

shawnie_boy

2.5mbps is pretty bad, back in the day when I was on rogers and there was no LTE, I got around 7+mbps on 3g. 

MK78

"Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. "

So are the "3G" plans restricted to the old/congested HSPA network, or is it simply "throttled" LTE to 2.5mbps...BTW, 2.5mbps isn't much, traditional 3G HSPA speeds go much faster than that. If it's Throttled LTE, then it should be like 5mbps then it'd be ok.

mimmo

@tiktok72 check out the zommer offerings.

shawnie_boy

agreed. PM has obviously raised their prices now. When it comes to cell phones though you just got to grab onto deals when they come out and then grab on to the next one. 

I would like to know the percentage of people on PM that have the 4gb $38 LTE plan compared to anything else. I have a feeling it is probably 75% of customers. It's clear the normal pricing isn't so great compared to competition with more features and customer service. 

@xCameron94x,

That's what I'm thinking, and if that's the case, I might as well switch to the 12+6GB at $150+taxes for the extra data ($10/30 days more than I'm paying now on Fall Promo).

I do get LTE coverage, but not all the time.  

tiktok72
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was planning to join my son with PM for back to school gift, but I just changed my mind.  PM used to be low cost cell phone provider but their lowerest price is $40 per 30 days with data.

It's not low cost any more.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker wrote:

I still think of Freedom as having zones - If you're not in Metro Toronto, or otheer similar centres with the same coverage, you're not getting all you can get with Public.  Much the same as Chatr.

I don't travel to the major centres often, so I want the best I can get overall, wherever I am.

Plus I was shocked at how much I was being charged when I went with my then-Wind-phone to Mt Tremblant for a weekend. I'm talking $10 in data usage charges because I didn't realize my phone was auto-roaming and updating Facebook and apps on data.

@stonechucker i believe you would drop to a 3G connection. In some areas of my hometown I go from LTE to 3G sometimes. I also see 3G a bit going up north (Lake Huron Area), but only through area's where there is literally grass

So, my question still stands, *IF* I were to switch to the 4G LTE plans, if I'm outside of 4G coverage, what happens?  Do I drop to 3G?

mimmo

I will have to agree, I will not in good faith be able to promote PM plans as beihg  great value anymore.  I think Zoomer will be my go to referal provider.  I see this 3g initiative  as a direct compitition with Chatr 3g vs 3g.  while before  it was vs everyone.  

It would  have been a different story if you left the 4g plans especially the 6gb/90days for 120 but those increased significatly on par with other providers who have stores/ phones and dare I say it a phone number to call.  

I guess time will only tell, but to me ,it seems  more $ for less service  instead of less for less

rajojomanik

Was there even a warning or hint that PM was going to change the plans for the worst?

joe_preiditsch

Hopefully the change to the pricing for LTE is an error that needs to be worked out. A 50% increase on the 2GB LTE plan is significant. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would say that when you look at this pricing along with the fact that you don't have someone to call for customer service issues, PM has really crapped the bed now.  To echo @b777, it is HARDLY a deal anymore and PM pricing is now on par with other low cost carriers.  PM - you just gave away your incentive to new customers.

I'm really struck by the fact the last promo was for FM customers was $120 w/ 12 GB data ($38 w/ 4 GB per month) is now for the same allotment for $219 on 90-days ($73/month) for new customers.  Even with the fact it was a promo, that is an UNBELIEVABLE price hike when compared.  Poor form PM.

rajojomanik

I have a friend who just ordered a sim this morning with the intention on porting to the 90 days 6gb LTE plan for $120, which was on the site around 10am EST.  

Seeing this major price increase will be hard to shallow for her.  

To the mods... could she return the sim since it will not be useful for her, this is more than what she is paying for at rogers... very disappointed with PM.

Lamp

I was trying to refer someone, but with this new price I don't think people will switch to PM...

Need Help? Let's chat.