cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plans Starting Today

Today, I noticed that are updated non-regional plans available.

Changes:

$35 plan now includes 2GB +500MB (autopay bonus)

$40 plan now only has 4GB + 500MB (autopay bonus)

New (recycled) $45 plan with 6GB + 500MB (autopay bonus)

I'm not at all impressed.  The $45 plan can be compared to $35 plan as most people will simply go for the higher option and it just adds yet another unnecessary plan.  The $35 plan still isn't good enough being overpriced/not having enough data.  Then, the $40 plan had it's data amount lowered to make the $35 and $45 plan artificially look better.  Why, Public?

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Ba Ba Bling! It's 9am. Must be a text from public mobile. On my plan successfully renewed. Oh shoot! I didnt manually top up my account. Good thing I have autopay.....but wait my credit card didn't get charged? Oh yeah I forgot.....i don't have to worry about paying my phone bill anymore!

Nobody likes a show-off. /jk

@darlicious  nice one 😅 I got a cha cha ching text lol

Ba Ba Bling! It's 9am. Must be a text from public mobile. On my plan successfully renewed. Oh shoot! I didnt manually top up my account. Good thing I have autopay.....but wait my credit card didn't get charged? Oh yeah I forgot.....i don't have to worry about paying my phone bill anymore!

So I’m reading a post this evening and someone says they are going to switch to the $45 plan. First thing I do is check the date of the post as it is OBVIOUSLY from 2018 or early 2019 when there was still a $45 plan. But...nope, the post was today so my next stop is at the PM Plans page. Sure enough.... a bunch of changes made to plans and once again.. NOTHING on the Announcements Page here on the community. Why can‘t someone From PM post stuff like this to the Announcements area? All the other less interesting stuff is posted there but flash sales, promotions and plan changes are made and its crickets in the announcement area....I don't get it.

AE_Collector

@sophyc 

So the main detail for you is that if you decide to switch to a different plan for a little bit (maybe you know you will need more data or less data due to travelling or something), when you are ready to come back to your “old” $40/5Gb plan..... you cant, its no longer offered.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@sophyc wrote:

I just noticed this and only joined public last week on the $40 plan when it was still 5GB. Given it was so recent, when my plan refreshes for next month, will I definitely still get the 5GB?

@sophyc You will continue to get whatever plan you signed up for as long as you don't let your account expire (90 days) regardless of changes to the plans after your purchase.

Well...technically...there ARE terms & conditions. But it hasn't happened since like 2016 or something when a huge bruhaha went on about them trying to change a plan.

So now, they CAN change the plan with notice and if you renew it on the new deal then you've agreed. But this hasn't happened yet that I know of.

@sophyc wrote:

I just noticed this and only joined public last week on the $40 plan when it was still 5GB. Given it was so recent, when my plan refreshes for next month, will I definitely still get the 5GB?

@sophyc You will continue to get whatever plan you signed up for as long as you don't let your account expire (90 days) regardless of changes to the plans after your purchase.

Edited: with the caveats outlined by @Anonymous below this post.

sophyc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Besides how many people (let's say out of 100 subscribers) actually max out their data every 30 days? I doubt not even half do.

@Jb456  I was talking to a friend (who was paying A LOT to one of the big 3) about PM and mentioned that you could get 8.5GB of data for $50. They said "but I need unlimited data". I asked how much data they used a month. They replied, "I don't know".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

So all that extra data that everyone is paying for that is not used just adds up.

Them's're called profits my good sir 🙂

(assuming gender of course 🙂 )

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 you know what I really think should be done. Instead of PM following all the time PM should just slash prices by a few dollars with more data. Problem solved.

$35 bucks 5 gigs simple as that and see if lucky follows.

All these small tweaks / adjustments probably end up costing more in the long run. 500mb here 500mb there. 1 buck here 1 buck there. Paying tech to do all these adjustments (Which seems to be almost on a weekly basis now) When tech could be devoting attention to the faulty auto-pay system.

Besides how many people (let's say out of 100 subscribers) actually max out their data every 30 days? I doubt not even half do. When I had 1gig data with PM  I may have used 500mb in 30 days. Even now on the $15 plan I may have cleared my 250mb limit twice. 

So all that extra data that everyone is paying for that is not used just adds up.

@computergeek541 am I missing something here? 

Lucky's $40 plan already beats PM.

PM - with autopay 4.5 gigs.

Lucky - with autopay 5 gigs.

Screenshot_20200929_165448.jpg

EDIT - Nevermind @computergeek541  I re-read what you wrote

@Jb456 Public's "new" $45 is the same as Chatr's. Don't be surprised if Lucky reduces their $40 plan to also include only 4.5GB (total).  I believe that Public's next "competitive reponse" might be to put the $40 plan back to 4.5GB+500MB to match Lucky.

So PM is playing follow the leader again with Lucky's plan changes 🙄

I guess the $45 for 6.5 gig one is to match Lucky's Quebec wide calling one.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I guess the new plans are structured around the $35/2.5gb plan. they basically flatline the curve

• 40(+$5/2gb)

• 45(+$5/2gb)

• 50(+$5/2gb)

the $15 & $25 plans are for the lower data users. these two plans fit well with them. 

*@Jb456 , but they beat Lucky's $35/2gb 🤏🤭

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

If you use the $15 plan as a base plan then plan data works out as follows:

1. $15 plan  $12/1gb  $3/250mb*
  2. $25 plan  $10/1gb
  3. $35 plan  $8/1gb
  4. $40 plan  $5.55/1gb
  5. $45 plan  $4.61/1gb
  6. $50 plan  $4.11/1gb

*based on purchasing the $15/1gb data add on YMMV

Yes makes sense BUT when you get Data on a plan  doesn't roll over ----soooo unless a person uses all the data your calculation  results would change. My opinion is that it best to keep a $15 plan and add on Data ( $15 for 1GB) . This way one would accumulate the un-used data and perhaps eventually for a future month  additional date may not be required.

@dude65 wrote:

@will13am .....exactly

People shopping for plans will look for what gets them the most bang for the buck. PM has a decent reward system if your going to stay long term with PM.

Agree 100%.  My legacy plan at full price is no longer competitive but the rewards make it very competitive.  It is hard to tell customers to be patient and leverage rewards.  It takes time to earn loyalty rewards and pick up referrals.  The need for immediate gratification is going to make for a tough uphill battle for this brand.  But then again with a lack of competition in Canada, all the competitors will rally around price increases.  

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

2. $25 plan  $10/1gb
  3. $35 plan  $8/1gb
  4. $40 plan  $5.55/1gb
  5. $45 plan  $4.61/1gb
  6. $50 plan  $4.11/1gb

I used to think this way about data cost.  I am no longer using this approach.  Data has a freshness date to it.  We should not buy more than what is actually needed.  To this end, people needing 5GB will be pushed into paying more.  That is the bottom line.  Keeping it simple, we have a $5 increase.  

@popping wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

2. $25 plan  $10/1gb
  3. $35 plan  $8/1gb
  4. $40 plan  $5.55/1gb
  5. $45 plan  $4.61/1gb
  6. $50 plan  $4.11/1gb

The cost/1GB is not correct unless I misunderstand what your are saying.

The new $40 plan has 4.5GB data.

Therefore, using the $15 plan as base to build a 4,25GB data per 30 days, the 30 days cost will be $15 base + 4 * $15 = $75 for 4.25GB data. ($17.64/1GB)

Correct me if I am wrong.

I wouldn't just say that the talk and text components are worth $15. To some people, those are worth nothing. In addition, you can't just buy 1GB for $10 or $8. That would also ignore that you must pay that base $15. In any event, whether or not one wishes to exclude that 250MB in the calculations for the other plans, if you're going to exclude $15 in the price of data for all other plans, you also have to exclude it for the $15 plan and say that the price is $0/GB as nothing extra is being paid on top of that $15 for the 250MB of included data.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

2. $25 plan  $10/1gb
  3. $35 plan  $8/1gb
  4. $40 plan  $5.55/1gb
  5. $45 plan  $4.61/1gb
  6. $50 plan  $4.11/1gb

The cost/1GB is not correct unless I misunderstand what your are saying.

The new $40 plan has 4.5GB data.

Therefore, using the $15 plan as base to build a 4,25GB data per 30 days, the 30 days cost will be $15 base + 4 * $15 = $75 for 4.25GB data. ($17.64/1GB)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping 

From past experience, scheduling a plan change using a currently available plan reserves that plan even if it disappears after you scheduled it/before you renew on it. I know this from the days that the $10 plan was being tossed around and I was testing playing around with the $15 plan but kept that $10 plan on reserve. Then it DID drop and I just went to it anyway.

@popping 

You scheduled it before the change you should be grandfathered in...

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

WOW.  Plan adjustment without at least half a day notice.

I downgraded my $40 plan two weeks ago in order to use the extra data add-on.  Right after my last renewal, I scheduled switching back to the old $40 5GB plan with autopay.  That was good insurance against PM from adjusting plan while on a downgraded plan.  Over 2 years on this community forum allows me to use this trick to protect my wallet.

But I don't know whether I will get back the 5GB version or not until after my next renewal.  The schedule plan change shows that I am switching to a $40 plan and does not show the details.

Future Dated Plan Changes  

Your base Plan will switch to 30-day plan ( $40 ) on Oct ??, 2020

Actually these new plans have made the $15 "plan builder" much more attractive data wise if you are a low but varied data user. By averaging  monthly use at 750mb and rolling over 500mb each cycle the data price lowers itself to $10/1gb every 4 months.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am .....exactly

People shopping for plans will look for what gets them the most bang for the buck. PM has a decent reward system if your going to stay long term with PM.

@computergeek541 

2. $25 plan  $10/1gb
  3. $35 plan  $8/1gb
  4. $40 plan  $5.55/1gb
  5. $45 plan  $4.61/1gb
  6. $50 plan  $4.11/1gb

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

In recent times, the competitor brands have all come out with what I see as well priced big gig plans for those who use a lot of data.  Even before this happened, I found that Public Mobile was only competitive for the lower usage plans, simply because those using lots of data would have little tolerance for the heavily throttled data.  I have always advocated that customers should show loyalty to their own wallet first and foremost.  

@darlicious The $35 plan is still going to be least popular and provide the least value for the money as taking the $40 plan instead still has a very high increase in the amount of data included, percentage-wise.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Well now all the higher priced data plans are evenly spaced so you dont save any real money by choosing more data in your plan. Thats a bit of a weird strategy but feqjitable i suppose. Now all plans $35+ for five bucks more you get 2gb of plan data.

Need Help? Let's chat.