cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Freedom Plan $99/year - would be a great fit here at PM

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Freedom Mobile has just released a new prepaid plan

Unlimited Cda wide calling, Unlimited text/MMS text - no data - $99/year prepaid. This will apparently work throughout Canada, even outside the Freedom 'Zone'.

That would be a great fit for PM. Especially if you include all of the add-on available here that you  may periodically need.

45 REPLIES 45

@saeliux 

Yes yes yes great plan, i wish something like that would come back

I have feeling with movnis break through we'll see something like that again

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I moved my mom from a $100/year plan to Public $10/month and this was a great deal for her because of the great network, addons, yearly pm gifts, and pm rewards.

I do wish public would bring back the $10/month, I got 3 plans on this.

Edit: Since $10/month doesn't exists and if I had to make the decision all over again, I would choose the Freedom $99/year for my mom (people that only need voice, cant really text and do not need data). The next best from PM is $15/month which would put my mom at $180 ($156 with rewards). Not a great deal compared to Freedom.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 wrote:

I think Freedom offers a $179/yr ($15/month) for unl talk/text and 5GB or approx 400mb per month. After that it is unl data at throttled speeds. So that is closer to what PM offers 

I cannot use Freedom. Not in the service area. 

@smp99 I am in the same boat for coverage. Right now I pay $156/year with autopay. If they offered an annual version of the $15 plan with 3-4GB of data for say $120 ish, I would be interested.

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That is a very nice deal

smp99

I think Freedom offers a $179/yr ($15/month) for unl talk/text and 5GB or approx 400mb per month. After that it is unl data at throttled speeds. So that is closer to what PM offers 

I cannot use Freedom. Not in the service area. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 wrote:

Well, Freedom has brought back the $99/yr plan that includes unl talk/text. Come on PM! You can do this. You could even factor in Autopay ( that would not even be available until 2nd payment, or year 2) and charge $125 less autopay. Think of all the extra revenue you keep when people upgrade or leave early.

@smp99 Being on the $15 plan and a low user of data I like the idea. Freedom though has no data. Their data add on is only good for 30 days. What price would people be willing to pay for a 365 day plan that includes a 3GB (approx 250MB/month) data bucket for the year?

smp99

Well, Freedom has brought back the $99/yr plan that includes unl talk/text. Come on PM! You can do this. You could even factor in Autopay ( that would not even be available until 2nd payment, or year 2) and charge $125 less autopay. Think of all the extra revenue you keep when people upgrade or leave early.

@vpakwong wrote:

I am planning to just get a text/call plan. $99/year seems good.

If you have access to stable wifi...consider a free voip app such as TextNow. You'll get a Cdn number and you can place calls, receive calls for gratis. Texting is free as well. Right now Shaw has opened up their ShawGo wifi for free use. Might be an option for you if you're a very light user.

We'll be here when you get back.

@vpakwong wrote:

How do you get this? I'm already with PM, on the $15 plan for 100mins...sucks

@vpakwong   Yes, the $15 plan only has 100 outgoing mins but all you need to do is purchase the 500 Canada wide mins for $5 as an add-on.  You'll be able to use these mins when you've used up the 100 mins from your plan, and any remaining mins from the 500 will keep rolling over every month until depleted. 

As already mentioned with autopay bonus this plan is really only $13 and you can further reduce it by loyalty, referrals or community participation rewards.  Telus/PM cell coverage is also more expansive nationwide than Freedom's network for the time being too. 

@vpakwong

Unless you don't care about losing your number you could just activate again.

vpakwong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do you get this? I'm already with PM, on the $15 plan for 100mins...sucks

@vpakwong 

I was with freedom....great if your in the city near one of their towers for reception and you don't plan on leaving the city or use your phone in malls, stadiums, hospitals , subways or anything underground in general.....or paying for roaming if you can't connect to their towers...in or out of the city.

In 10 months since I joined my $10 Account was free after 6 weeks and my main account is finished with its promo and getting switched to the $15 and will be free as well. That's before loyalty kicks in.....

If you hate freedom your signed up for a year if you hate public mobile its 30 days....and $3.99 Sims at CCS and a $10 referral credit and the possibility of a free 30 days promo......

@vpakwong , look at the bigger picture. Freedom sounds like an awesome deal for texting and calling. But, if you got lost while driving, and say, you got stuck in the bad side of town. You have no clue how to get out of there. Having a small data pack on your plan, $15 kinda looks good now doesn't it, because Google Maps will get outta there within seconds. 

Even with the $15 plan, minus the $2 Autopay, it comes to $13. But, people come to Public Mobile for one reason, to save money for the long haul. There are some members here who have been here for five years and longer. That's $5 per month off + the $2 Autopay. $7 off a $15 plan is $8 x 12 = $96 a year. This doesn't include any other rewards such as community rewards or refer-a-friend. That's gravy.

But, on the flip side, $99 is a good deal. Public Mobile, for the most part, has saved me more money than the other carriers that I have been with Telus and Fido. And here to stay with Public Mobile for the long haul.

Yeah not “instant gratification” but the PM $15 plan starts at $13 with Autopay to your credit card so that is $156/year not $99. But any combination of 5 referrals / loyalty credits = $60 a year discount getting you to $96 a year. Of course more referrals or loyalty years gets the price even lower and you are on the Telus network, not the Freedom network. Big difference. Then there is the bonus 256Mb of data you get on the $15 plan that can be real handy to have even if you don’t really need a data plan.

AE_Collector

BearFBI

@vpakwong wrote:

@vpakwong We used to have a 10$ plan. 8$ with autopay. Totaling to 96$ a year probably cheaper or free with all the rewards. If you work at it hard enough to get rewards you can get a free plan. I basically pay around 99$ a year for 1GB every month and unlimited txt and call with all my rewards. Better deal if you ask me.

vpakwong

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma wrote:

This would be perfect for some of your older customers who don't require data. 

Let me correct that for you:

This would be perfect for your customers who don't require data. 

@LurganIeUk  Yes...i probably  should have tagged @smiley3  too.

I understood it from the get go. I posted for @smiley3 

This company and plan is not for me.  

@LurganIeUk  Its pretty simple how to read that coverage map.....

1. Orange....freedom zone coverage....pretty good.
  2. Peach.....variable....very hit and miss and lots of searching for a signal/battery draining.
  3. White......nothing.....zip, zilch, nada, don't get lost because no one will find you and you will not find freedom or their signal ever...
  4. Yellow.....roaming cha-ching $ cha-ching $ cha-ching$ your wallet is freedom$
  5. The "O" in VANCOUVER should be peach because that's where my house is located and a freedom signal was absent more than it was present. Get used to "AWAY" showing on your phone....a lot!

Looks like they  have 3 levels of coverage. You would want a plan that accesses  all.

A332F4F0-EE07-4F56-8BAD-0C0F2B85614E.png0314CF5F-F9BA-4972-A5CB-F019283C6C46.png

Teeee51

I’m wondering if it’s just me or maybe I’m missing the point, if PM were to provide a similar competitive plan to this FM plan, would your current credits not apply to the plan? Everyone would be getting more minutes and texts than the current PM offerings at a better price? I’m not looking to get anyone to port out to FM, but free markets are free markets, I would hope PM would stay competitive and offer what their competitors are offering in hopes to keep their current clients and if not gain more. 
The point of my posts aren’t about who has the better network, we all know PM has better coverage, but don’t we all want to get more value for our hard earned dollars? It’s unfortunate that at this day and time, the carriers only care when you leave or port out. I do commend PM with providing incentives to stay, but in the end, the bottom line for both sides is the dollar. 

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wonder what they mean by "even outside the Freedom 'Zone'" though?  I know Freedom has very limited coverage outside of the major cities their in.  Public Mobile has amazing coverage everywhere being on the Telus network.

Also, with all the reward bonuses you can gain, the $15 Pubic Mobile plan isn't much more per year (or could even be less) and you a least get a little bit of data which is handy to have (for things like imessage) even if you don't use data that much.

99.00 and no data. 😧😧

While I am a new data user and find it difficult to use my 250mb per 30 days I have found it valuable to have.  Not to mention I find it hard to even use my 100 minutes of Canada wide calling. And I do like the opportunity of having a USA add on. 

And I really I like my $15 - $8 = $7 x 12 months = $84 a year 😀😀. It suits us well. 

And in progress of reducing $15 - $2 = $13 x 12 months = $156 a year 😀😀

So my new target is to get shaving that $240 reduced⬇️ by at least $50. 

But competition is good as is variety of plans that may suit others better. 

My dad has a phone with Freedom here in Toronto. I don't know if they have upped there game, but he has had it since mid December with no problems. My sister, who I wanted to bring here, will probably go with them because of this $99 yearly deal.

Bubba

I actually wanted the large prepaid plans and PM was the first to do it. But a lot the customers at PM are younger and I would guesstimate are the come and go types and would change plans or companies very quickly, yearly or less if they saw a deal somewhere else. 

No one wanted the 3 months pay ahead plan

Bubba

I would jump on this if PM provided it. I would get it for my mother, and buy a cell phone for her and force her to use it.

CalgaryBen

My hope would be for the $99/yr Freedom plan to force the hand of PM/Lucky/chatr to bring back the $10 plan!  For a sliver of a moment, I thought about the $99/yr Freedom plan for one of my kids, but then I remembered how miserable I was when I tried out the Freedom network for 3 months under a Friends-and-Family promo (I used to work at Shaw, and still have friends working there... but I say friends don't let friends go to Freedom Mobile!!).  Drove me crazy to see "No Service" or "Away" on my phone when I was inside city limits, or see LTE at the top, only to not be able to access the internet.

PM's $10/mo (actually $8 or less with autopay + annual loyalty rewards) is a perfect fit for my kids, parents, etc.  If Freedom's reliability was on par with real carriers, it'd be a very good fit too.

smp99

I started this thread just to point out what is out there and maybe PM could do something similar. I wasn't suggesting people switch.

Or maybe even this

$150/yr for same features, unl talk/text. But say you get $2 per 30 days autopay which = $126/yr  or $10.50 month. I think PM would make money on this as they are locked in for a year and there would be less issues with payment processing etc. I think the much better coverage would easily cover the slight extra charge over Freedom. 

Just a cheap prepaid plan for a year was what intrigued me.

@Teeee51 

I don’t see big numbers heading to Freedom for that plan. A limited crowd that doesn’t want data.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.