cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Feb 16, 2021 Plans (with Province-wide minutes)

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

These are the new plan options showing via self serve as of midnight eastern time: (I've greyed out the Canada-Wide ones that will likely be disappearing soon, for comparison)

$15 for 100 Province-wide minutes

• Save $2 and get a 250MB data bonus each month on AutoPay
  • 30-day plan
  • 250MB of data at 3G speed
  • 100 Province-wide minutes
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • Voicemail and Call Display

$25 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 500MB data

• Save $2 and get a 500MB data bonus each month on AutoPay
  • 30-day plan
  • 500MB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Province-wide minutes

$25 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 500MB data

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

$35 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 2GB of data at 3G speed

$35 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 2GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 6GB of data at 3G speed

$40 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 4.5GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed

$40 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 4.5GB dat (yes, the "a" is missing)

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 6GB of data at 3G speed

$50 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8GB of data at 3G speed

$50 for unlimited Canada-wide/U.S. minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide and U.S. minutes
65 REPLIES 65

@ShawnC13 wrote:

PM offered Provincial only calling plans the past, that is what the Fall Promo of 2016 is.  I think I still have 100 of my 200 original long distance minutes purchased from Nov 2016.  I didn't switch to a Canada Wide when they came around, I don't need it and the add-ons work out perfectly for me.  I wonder how many people this will truly affect.  

Yeah, anyone choosing plans going forward who makes less than 500 minutes of out-of-province calling per cycle should hopefully be astute enough to realize that paying $5 less on the plan, and adding the $5 add-on that never expires is a much smarter setup. This will likely become a common recommendation on the forums...

I myself have accumulated a lot of minutes over the last 1.5 years or so from various holiday and other promos that will last me a lifetime at this point, even if I did switch to a province wide plan: 1500 Canada wide minutes, plus another 900 international minutes that include Canada if the first bucket ever gets depleted...

PM offered Provincial only calling plans the past, that is what the Fall Promo of 2016 is.  I think I still have 100 of my 200 original long distance minutes purchased from Nov 2016.  I didn't switch to a Canada Wide when they came around, I don't need it and the add-ons work out perfectly for me.  I wonder how many people this will truly affect.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@HALIMACS wrote:

Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. Outgoing calls to a number outside of your home province will require a Long Distance add-on. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province while you’re there, but you won’t be able to call your home province. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. To call your home province while traveling, you will need a Long Distance add-on.

I can imagine the forum posts with people confused why they can't make calls to numbers in their home province that they "call all the time" when they travel to another province that start failing without a long-distance add on, yet confused because incoming calls still work.

It would be swell if PM could send a courtesy text when the network detects traveling to another province.... Similar to how networks send this when roaming into another country... something like:

"Welcome to $currentprovince! Your current plan includes unlimited incoming and outgoing calls within $curentprovince, but calls to the rest of Canada including $homeprovince will require a long-distance add on. Visit Selfserve or call 611 to add."

ps: heh I just learned "traveling" is apparently USA spelling, and should be spelled "travelling" by us Canadians. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grandfathering has been with us since the Fall 2016 debacle. I highly doubt they would change their practice. I'm still on the $10 plan x3.

Reserving a plan on a LTO has also been with us for as long as I can remember. If it had been selected when available and set for next renewal...it's yours...even if that happens after the expiry of the LT.

But of course as with everything from any corporation...subject to change at any time...although as darlicious is arguing...with notice. Is this notice?

@kb_mv wrote:

@dlambro I just made an edit to that post. I assume they are getting ready to remove the Canada wide calling options. If I was considering an upgrade this would be the time to do it before these soon to be legacy plans disappear.

Of course for the time being at the same price, you would choose the canada-wide option. But since the old pricing of the canada-wide plans are now declared "sale" prices "for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount." that means that all canada-wide plans will increase by $5 at some point in the future.

Promoting these plans as "limited time"/"on sale" for $5 less would imply that if you choose a plan now you will retain/lock in that plan (grandfathered) as long as you keep it and don't change it...

@Nezgar wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

It appears all plans are on sale for $5 off and INCLUDE Canada Wide and USA calls on the $50 plan. No sale on the $15 plan. Is the $5 off price just the old price........basically announcing a $5 increase when sale is over. I assume this is set up to allow current customers to change plans?

It looks like the "old" $15 plan that included canada-wide 100 minutes is now gone & unavailable to switch to, or for new signups. If you want a $15 plan, best to immediately compliment it with a $5 canada-wide long distance add-on...

@Nezgar as I understand it, my $15 Canada wide plans that I am on now will be honored going forward? I think?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

It appears all plans are on sale for $5 off and INCLUDE Canada Wide and USA calls on the $50 plan. No sale on the $15 plan. Is the $5 off price just the old price........basically announcing a $5 increase when sale is over. I assume this is set up to allow current customers to change plans?

It looks like the "old" $15 plan that included canada-wide 100 minutes is now gone & unavailable to switch to, or for new signups. If you want a $15 plan, best to immediately compliment it with a $5 canada-wide long distance add-on... If you have it already, just don't change it and it should stay grandfathered.

@computergeek541  Here's the data I collected:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone is intending to switch to one of the plans shortly, I have a test for you to try. But for the sake of not blowing it for others I would ask for an email address rather than pm due to the fact that they can and do observe activity in pm's. So pm me an email address if you want to try out something. One-off, instant, throw-away, anonymous email address of course.

But of course if my test has always been there then never mind. Maybe it's nothing new.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

worst part is this 

"To call your home province while traveling, you will need a Long Distance add-on."

Are you serious. Your plan wont even work outside of your province. I should be able to call my province from ALL of canada. ITS LIKE PAYING FOR ROAMING IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY. CMON.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Here.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Province-Wide-Calling-Plans-Limited...

@mimmo 

Thanks.....still not clear.......full of typos.....

To be very very honest....the official announcement should have covered grandfathering for new customers taking the sale price and for any one changing to a sale price plan. Nothing should be assumed. A huge and disappointing MISS in the announcement. Hopefully the new overpriced plans as compared to competitors will go on sale to allow changes. And perhaps this is what it is all about.....marketing......over price it....then put it on sale. This marketing tool has been in place for years. 

My Feedly picked the changes. 

Does this imply grandfathering?

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

I would like to see in clear writing what plans are grandfathered. If $15 plan is not grandfathered it will be a huge hit on low income and seniors trying to keep in contact with their family. AND if not clear it won’t allow decision making to upgrade while on sale or not, that is, if the on sale plans are not clearly marked as grandfathered. 

It kind of looks like a well thought out change.....but a huge missing key is.....notification of grandfathering. 

@LurganIeUk 

Official announcement on the landing page but very similarily titled.

So no official announcement? It appears all plans are on sale for $5 off and INCLUDE Canada Wide and USA calls on the $50 plan. No sale on the $15 plan. Is the $5 off price just the old price........basically announcing a $5 increase when sale is over. I assume this is set up to allow current customers to change plans?

@dude65 wrote:

First of all, I am NOT impressed with these changes. This probably was more of a Telus decision then a Public Mobile decision to increase revenue. When I changed over to PM, it was the $15 plan with outgoing 100min CDN wide calling and unlimited incoming mins no matter where in Canada i am at. I just hope that the current plan i am using will be grandfathered.

So what is the next thing they PM will change?

Ditto for me too. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

First of all, I am NOT impressed with these changes. This probably was more of a Telus decision then a Public Mobile decision to increase revenue. When I changed over to PM, it was the $15 plan with outgoing 100min CDN wide calling and unlimited incoming mins no matter where in Canada i am at. I just hope that the current plan i am using will be grandfathered.

So what is the next thing they PM will change?

THIS  IS  PATHETIC!!!

I WILL NOT be recommending Public Mobile any longer.

You've just lost two customers asking me about switching over to the $25 - $35 plans in the next month or so.

Check out the Provincial calling rules of engagement, for anyone wondering how Public Mobile will deal with it:

Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. Outgoing calls to a number outside of your home province will require a Long Distance add-on. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province while you’re there, but you won’t be able to call your home province. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. To call your home province while traveling, you will need a Long Distance add-on.

Gunner123

@DDM69 wrote:

Not impressed. 

I can see the community becoming much busier soon... due to these changes. ☹️

Keep it simple and easy.

@DDM69 yea I want a raise lol 😂

DDM69

Not impressed. 

I can see the community becoming much busier soon... due to these changes. ☹️

Keep it simple and easy.

Gunner123

Great job Public what a bloody mess!!🙄

dlambro

@darlicious 

I think it's obvious PM is not making any money on the $15/m plans so they are trying to entice people to sign up for the more lucrative $25/m + plans.  When people are signing up for $15/m less $2 auto pay and $1 refer a friend, paying $12/m and are receiving unlimited national calling a bit of data every, and bonus data that roll over, not to mention the $10 referral bonus at sign up, this is not competitive. At some point they need to up the prices to make it more competitive and in line with the other telecom companies' discount brands.  Bell's discount brand, Lucky Mobile has $15/m plan for Canada wide calling and 250mb data with auto pay, but they don't offer any discounts with auto pay, and you can't purchase any add ons for the $15/m plan.  If you want more data, for example, then you have to opt for a more expensive plan.  Chatr (Roger's discount brand) doesn't even offer a $15/m plan, and Freedom Mobile offers $25/m for unlimited call and text only, no data.  So it's not surprising that PM increased their prices.  Of course, they are still offering the $15/m plan, but only for Provincial calling.  Plus since the other plans are on "Sale" for a limited time, this will entice people to sign up now before the sale if over.  I guess they are hoping once people sign up, they will like the prices/coverage/ service and stay with them.    Let's see what happens.

BearFBI

What a ripoff. Darnit PM.

As much as I don't call outside of the province much now that I think about it it'd a nice feature to have. You don't have to worry about addons if you need to call out on that odd occasion. Now I am grandfathered I to my plan but if I choose to change in the future I'll be stuck with province wide calling, Who wants to pay 5$ more for Canada wide yuck. 

Terrible move. If you increase the price at least add VoLTE or something that's actually worth 5$ more and isint a ripoff. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

Public Mobile really did it. I was hoping that Public Mobile would back off after seeing what customers were saying about all this.  It looks like they're going ahead with the changes after all. When looking at the plan page, the $25 and higher Canada-wide plans have been listed as all being increased in price by $5.  Public Mobile is now advertising them as limited time offers as being on "sale".  I also wonder how Public Mobile can advertised this as a "sale" when the plans were never those prices in the past 6 months.  Last I looked, the Canada-wide plans in self serve still had the old pricing, so I do not believe that they were ever sold at the +$5 prices.   This is ridiculous.  I sure hope Public Mobile is ready for what's going to be said now.

@computergeek541 Years ago Sears was penalized for raising the price of tires and then advertising them on sale for a lower price that was higher than the original normal price.

Public Mobile really did it. I was hoping that Public Mobile would back off after seeing what customers were saying about all this.  It looks like they're going ahead with the changes after all. When looking at the plan page, the $25 and higher Canada-wide plans have been listed as all being increased in price by $5.  Public Mobile is now advertising them as limited time offers as being on "sale".  I also wonder how Public Mobile can advertise this as a "sale" when the plans were never those prices in the past 6 months.  Last I looked, the Canada-wide plans in self serve still had the old pricing, so I do not believe that they were ever sold at the +$5 prices.   This is ridiculous.  I sure hope Public Mobile is ready for what's going to be said now.  Also, Koodo pretty has very similar plans except with Canada-wide calling and LTE speeds (examples $30 plan or $45 plan), although I know that the add-on pricing isn't as good at Koodo.

@SomeFriend 

Nice catch! But I wonder if this is a typo ? Seeing as most on the $15 plan already have a voip app this can actually make the $15 plan more valued added as long as you are mostly staying within your province ( as most of us are during a pandemic!) On fongo at least if you are using mobile data to call out tfe extra 250mb = 500 min of calling. Data bucket wise....it just doubled in size!

The two main purchases made by the $15 plan holders....the $5/500min add on to supplement the outgoing  minutes and the $15/1gb data add on to supplement the data. Now neither are "needed" and if added they will be used with far less frequency.

The $25 plan very popular because of the unlimited canada wide calling and for low data users just enough data to get by because until last summer no one was willing to pay an extra $10 for only 500mb more data (now 1.5gb more on the $35/2.5gb plan.) Now the $25 /1gb plan is put in that position. Why pay $10/500mb of plan data when you can get the $15/1gb of add on data ($7.50/500mb) that rolls over?

Unlimited calling like Canada wide calling is about semantics. The vast majority of us don't even come close to using 350 outgoing minutes per month (100 plan minutes+250 min 1/2 of the $5/500min add on.) Nor do most us call out across canada or even province wide. Its mostly local. But we like to see that "unlimited canada wide calling" like "unlimted data" then followed up with impossibily slow throttled data.

The $35/2.5gb $40/5gb $45/6.5gb all have their appeal with their data buckets increasing with the cost of plan data decreasing from $10/1gb ($15 - $35 plans) $6/1gb ($40+$45 plans) $5/1gb ($50 plan) And again dropping the unlimited US long distance minutes will severly curtail a few frequent callers but mostly its for show. The bigger problem here is the illusion of getting far less than before  for about the same amount of money while other providers offer full speed 4G LTE and bigger data buckets and canada wide calling.

If the point of this exercise was to increase profitability public mobile has done a stellar job of for the ļ shooting themselves in foot. I suspect they will limp away from this roll out as well. If this is still the marketing team we were introduced to with such fanfare last spring I am not impressed. But upon closer examination the low end user comes out ahead and the high end user unless well rewarded starts to look at other providers.....

......and do I need to mention " Keep it simple stupid?" More complicated plans mean more work for the community and ultimately the moderators which mean slower wait tiimes and a few new moderators needing to be hired and more community rewards to be distributed out each month. I don't think this is what public mobile had in mind at conception of these new plans.

@dlambro wrote:

@kb_mv

I see the same under the new plans when logged into my account page under Change Plan.  Only change I see is the $15/m plan changed from 100 Nation Wide minutes to 100 Provincial minutes.  The other plans are still National calling plans or Provincial calling plans for the same price, which is strange.  Why would someone opt for unlimited Provincial wide calling when they can get unlimited National calling for the same cost?  

@dlambro I just made an edit to that post. I assume they are getting ready to remove the Canada wide calling options. If I was considering an upgrade this would be the time to do it before these soon to be legacy plans disappear.

dlambro

@kb_mv

I see the same under the new plans when logged into my account page under Change Plan.  Only change I see is the $15/m plan changed from 100 Nation Wide minutes to 100 Provincial minutes.  The other plans are still National calling plans or Provincial calling plans for the same price, which is strange.  Why would someone opt for unlimited Provincial wide calling when they can get unlimited National calling for the same cost?  

@SomeFriend wrote:

I think the "3G" plans (better known as LTE lite) were always 2.5mbps, but just that people got 3mbps out of it when connected to LTE anyways.

I don't have test results from the actual 3g plan trial, but I think that @Luddite be able to provide some insight on the original performance results.

As for the actual documented speed, the 2.5Mbps speed quote earlier is outdated information that was never updated. Originally, the 3g plan speeds were advertised as 2.5Mbps, but that number was later updated to 3Mbps. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I am showing all the old plans with Canada wide talk on their Plans page. No sign of the new ones. It allows me to select them as well. In my self serve it shows both plans (I am on the $15 plan) and will allow me to go through with whatever selection I make. See pics....

Edit: I guess showing both in self serve is the pre curser to removing the old ones. Any way to find out definitively that we are "grandfathered" in? Still interesting that you can sign up for the old ones as a new customer.

I see now that these have disappeared or rather they have been changed to reflect a sale for the same price lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.45.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.44.19 AM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.