cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Re: New Feb 16, 2021 Plans (with Province-wide minutes)

@SomeFriend 

Nice catch! But I wonder if this is a typo ? Seeing as most on the $15 plan already have a voip app this can actually make the $15 plan more valued added as long as you are mostly staying within your province ( as most of us are during a pandemic!) On fongo at least if you are using mobile data to call out tfe extra 250mb = 500 min of calling. Data bucket wise....it just doubled in size!

The two main purchases made by the $15 plan holders....the $5/500min add on to supplement the outgoing  minutes and the $15/1gb data add on to supplement the data. Now neither are "needed" and if added they will be used with far less frequency.

The $25 plan very popular because of the unlimited canada wide calling and for low data users just enough data to get by because until last summer no one was willing to pay an extra $10 for only 500mb more data (now 1.5gb more on the $35/2.5gb plan.) Now the $25 /1gb plan is put in that position. Why pay $10/500mb of plan data when you can get the $15/1gb of add on data ($7.50/500mb) that rolls over?

Unlimited calling like Canada wide calling is about semantics. The vast majority of us don't even come close to using 350 outgoing minutes per month (100 plan minutes+250 min 1/2 of the $5/500min add on.) Nor do most us call out across canada or even province wide. Its mostly local. But we like to see that "unlimited canada wide calling" like "unlimted data" then followed up with impossibily slow throttled data.

The $35/2.5gb $40/5gb $45/6.5gb all have their appeal with their data buckets increasing with the cost of plan data decreasing from $10/1gb ($15 - $35 plans) $6/1gb ($40+$45 plans) $5/1gb ($50 plan) And again dropping the unlimited US long distance minutes will severly curtail a few frequent callers but mostly its for show. The bigger problem here is the illusion of getting far less than before  for about the same amount of money while other providers offer full speed 4G LTE and bigger data buckets and canada wide calling.

If the point of this exercise was to increase profitability public mobile has done a stellar job of for the ļ shooting themselves in foot. I suspect they will limp away from this roll out as well. If this is still the marketing team we were introduced to with such fanfare last spring I am not impressed. But upon closer examination the low end user comes out ahead and the high end user unless well rewarded starts to look at other providers.....

......and do I need to mention " Keep it simple stupid?" More complicated plans mean more work for the community and ultimately the moderators which mean slower wait tiimes and a few new moderators needing to be hired and more community rewards to be distributed out each month. I don't think this is what public mobile had in mind at conception of these new plans.

Public Mobile really did it. I was hoping that Public Mobile would back off after seeing what customers were saying about all this.  It looks like they're going ahead with the changes after all. When looking at the plan page, the $25 and higher Canada-wide plans have been listed as all being increased in price by $5.  Public Mobile is now advertising them as limited time offers as being on "sale".  I also wonder how Public Mobile can advertise this as a "sale" when the plans were never those prices in the past 6 months.  Last I looked, the Canada-wide plans in self serve still had the old pricing, so I do not believe that they were ever sold at the +$5 prices.   This is ridiculous.  I sure hope Public Mobile is ready for what's going to be said now.  Also, Koodo pretty has very similar plans except with Canada-wide calling and LTE speeds (examples $30 plan or $45 plan), although I know that the add-on pricing isn't as good at Koodo.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

Public Mobile really did it. I was hoping that Public Mobile would back off after seeing what customers were saying about all this.  It looks like they're going ahead with the changes after all. When looking at the plan page, the $25 and higher Canada-wide plans have been listed as all being increased in price by $5.  Public Mobile is now advertising them as limited time offers as being on "sale".  I also wonder how Public Mobile can advertised this as a "sale" when the plans were never those prices in the past 6 months.  Last I looked, the Canada-wide plans in self serve still had the old pricing, so I do not believe that they were ever sold at the +$5 prices.   This is ridiculous.  I sure hope Public Mobile is ready for what's going to be said now.

@computergeek541 Years ago Sears was penalized for raising the price of tires and then advertising them on sale for a lower price that was higher than the original normal price.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What a ripoff. Darnit PM.

As much as I don't call outside of the province much now that I think about it it'd a nice feature to have. You don't have to worry about addons if you need to call out on that odd occasion. Now I am grandfathered I to my plan but if I choose to change in the future I'll be stuck with province wide calling, Who wants to pay 5$ more for Canada wide yuck. 

Terrible move. If you increase the price at least add VoLTE or something that's actually worth 5$ more and isint a ripoff. 

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious 

I think it's obvious PM is not making any money on the $15/m plans so they are trying to entice people to sign up for the more lucrative $25/m + plans.  When people are signing up for $15/m less $2 auto pay and $1 refer a friend, paying $12/m and are receiving unlimited national calling a bit of data every, and bonus data that roll over, not to mention the $10 referral bonus at sign up, this is not competitive. At some point they need to up the prices to make it more competitive and in line with the other telecom companies' discount brands.  Bell's discount brand, Lucky Mobile has $15/m plan for Canada wide calling and 250mb data with auto pay, but they don't offer any discounts with auto pay, and you can't purchase any add ons for the $15/m plan.  If you want more data, for example, then you have to opt for a more expensive plan.  Chatr (Roger's discount brand) doesn't even offer a $15/m plan, and Freedom Mobile offers $25/m for unlimited call and text only, no data.  So it's not surprising that PM increased their prices.  Of course, they are still offering the $15/m plan, but only for Provincial calling.  Plus since the other plans are on "Sale" for a limited time, this will entice people to sign up now before the sale if over.  I guess they are hoping once people sign up, they will like the prices/coverage/ service and stay with them.    Let's see what happens.

Gunner123

Great job Public what a bloody mess!!🙄

Darryl69

Re: The new Feb 16, 2021 Plans! (including Province-Wide calling)

Not impressed. 

I can see the community becoming much busier soon... due to these changes. ☹️

Keep it simple and easy.

Gunner123

@Darryl69 wrote:

Not impressed. 

I can see the community becoming much busier soon... due to these changes. ☹️

Keep it simple and easy.

@Darryl69 yea I want a raise lol 😂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

THIS  IS  PATHETIC!!!

I WILL NOT be recommending Public Mobile any longer.

You've just lost two customers asking me about switching over to the $25 - $35 plans in the next month or so.

Check out the Provincial calling rules of engagement, for anyone wondering how Public Mobile will deal with it:

Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. Outgoing calls to a number outside of your home province will require a Long Distance add-on. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province while you’re there, but you won’t be able to call your home province. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. To call your home province while traveling, you will need a Long Distance add-on.

dude65

First of all, I am NOT impressed with these changes. This probably was more of a Telus decision then a Public Mobile decision to increase revenue. When I changed over to PM, it was the $15 plan with outgoing 100min CDN wide calling and unlimited incoming mins no matter where in Canada i am at. I just hope that the current plan i am using will be grandfathered.

So what is the next thing they PM will change?

Need Help? Let's chat.