cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Feb 16, 2021 Plans (with Province-wide minutes)

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

These are the new plan options showing via self serve as of midnight eastern time: (I've greyed out the Canada-Wide ones that will likely be disappearing soon, for comparison)

$15 for 100 Province-wide minutes

• Save $2 and get a 250MB data bonus each month on AutoPay
  • 30-day plan
  • 250MB of data at 3G speed
  • 100 Province-wide minutes
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • Voicemail and Call Display

$25 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 500MB data

• Save $2 and get a 500MB data bonus each month on AutoPay
  • 30-day plan
  • 500MB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Province-wide minutes

$25 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 500MB data

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

$35 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 2GB of data at 3G speed

$35 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan

$45 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 6GB of data at 3G speed

$40 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 4.5GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed

$40 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 4.5GB dat (yes, the "a" is missing)

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan

$50 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8GB of data at 3G speed

$50 for unlimited Canada-wide/U.S. minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide and U.S. minutes
65 REPLIES 65

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

Wow. Well. We're going to have to wait and see if the rest of the rumor is true. I wonder if the 5$ LTO is true, and the 5$ price increase. We will wait and see.

I'm glad I got all my activations in. I dont think I'll see another one. PM may have just lost my buisness for new activations.

@BearFBI Who's going to activate another plan?  Bad move Public!

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow. Well. We're going to have to wait and see if the rest of the rumor is true. I wonder if the 5$ LTO is true, and the 5$ price increase. We will wait and see.

I'm glad I got all my activations in. I dont think I'll see another one. PM may have just lost my buisness for new activations.

@SomeFriend wrote:

I don't mind losing Canada-wide minutes if I get Province-wide ones anyways, if that means I get 0.5GB instead of 0.25GB of data.  I have free Canada-wide minutes almost completely untouched 

I guess Fongo or TextNow will have some new subscribers from PM --  for those who needs to call Canada Wide  🙂

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the "3G" plans (better known as LTE lite) were always 2.5mbps, but just that people got 3mbps out of it when connected to LTE anyways.

This looks like quite a bit of a nerf for every single plan....  except the $15 one?  They used to offer 250MB of data as the autopay bonus but it seems like now there's 250MB data within the plan and 250MB data bonus with autopay.

I mean, I don't mind losing Canada-wide minutes if I get Province-wide ones anyways, if that means I get 0.5GB instead of 0.25GB of data.  I have free Canada-wide minutes almost completely untouched so I can use those on the rare occasion of dialing a long distance number or when I exceed my allowance (which happens more often).

i guess personally, i don't really call outside my province a lot... or pretty much none, so, it's not really affecting me.

But I still think  it's not a wise move to take away things and not giving anything back, they can easily increase a bit of data  to make it look nice.

Since pandemic, there has been lots of promotion other providers (eg, Fido $35/4GB/Canada calling ; Bell  $40/6GB Canada Calling) Yes, those are just short team promotion (like Black Fridays weekend only) But  some PM plans are now not competitive at all and they can easily lost customers that way.   

I see people are already frustrated with activation issues and lack of customer support (honest, opening a ticket and waited a day or 2 is not the customer support you want. ).. and now they take away further.... 

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well this just sticks in my craw! I had a plan change scheduled and when my auto-pay failed my scheduled change failed. I now I can't switch it back to the $15 plan with Canada wide calling. I have a ticket into the moderators but I don't know what else to do I'm certainly not going to reactivate my account to get less than what I had originally wanted and the plans page still says the old plan on the main page I don't get this? This is some false advertising at least give me the ability to still get that plan while it's still up there!

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I typically look at the forum for good announcements but losing Canada-wide calling was not something that I had in mind! It's been a feature that I have been acustomed to having for quite a few years. It is a wise approach to not force customers to pay more for a feature that they may not use but hopefully there would be some consideration for customers to have the option for Canada-wide calling with an add-on.

maybe it's a good time to add 'volte' to the Canada wide plans for more incentive to upgrade. I will pay $55 for this

@Nezgar wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

As long as you stay in Canada and you have talking mins available, incoming calls will come through even if you're outside of your home province. 

Yep... while consuming your canada-wide long-distance add-on minutes:

(2) Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

Although, it will let you "call home" unlimited from anywhere else in Canada... That answers my voicemail question...

That has never been the case for incoming calls. I i know it says that and that's how it should have worked by anyone's definition of long distance, but it doesn't matter where you are to answer calls, nor will Canada-wide long distance add-on minutes be used. I also believe that at one point, Public Mobile removed/altered the references to incoing calls in some version of the Knowledge Base or Get Help pages.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Why is the part about LTE plans still listed when people can't get them unless they're already on it?  Also, the 3g data speed is still incorrectly statted to be 2.5Mbps.

Ah I didn't realize the 2.5Mbps statement was old. There's also two footnotes referenced by the plans (5 and 7) that don't exist at the bottom within Self-Serve. So that part must still be pending an update...

@TheGx wrote:

Yeah, @JK8  is right, can't refer anyone when it not good deal anymore.

The plans haven't been good for a very long time.  The Public Mobiel plans didn't get any worse, but the competiion (including Koodo internally) plans got better while Public Mobile almost completely stayed still.

@Nezgar wrote:
f(4) Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network managemreent and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

Why is the part about LTE plans still listed when people can't get them unless they're already on it?  Also, the 3g data speed is still incorrectly statted to be 2.5Mbps.

@Anonymous wrote:

But Nezgar's point about voicemail is interesting. If your forwarding is set to the automatically provided one then you wouldn't be able to get voicemail outside your "home" province unless you changed the access number. Callers call in...it forwards...I can't get there from here...fail. And then to call to listen to the voicemail of course.

There are some workaround for this. If you don't want to look up the local voicemail number, you can dial your own number with any VoIP calling app like fongo or user another phone to dial your own number. Let it ring or cancel until it goes to voicemail. Then press *# or # to access your voicemail. 

EDIT: nvm, i read your concern differently. Still a helpful info.

@Nezgar wrote:

These are the new plan options showing via self serve as of midnight eastern time: (I've greyed out the Canada-Wide ones that will likely be disappearing soon, for comparison)

$15 for 100 Province-wide minutes

• Save $2 and get a 250MB data bonus each month on AutoPay
  • 30-day plan
  • 250MB of data at 3G speed
  • 100 Province-wide minutes
  • Unlimited Incoming Minutes

$25 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 500MB data

• 30-day plan
  • 500MB of data at 3G speed

$25 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 500MB data

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB of data at 3G speed

$35 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan

$35 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 2GB data

• 30-day plan

$45 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan

$40 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 4.5GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed

$40 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 4.5GB dat (yes, the "a" is missing)

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for unlimited Canada-wide minutes + 6GB data

• 30-day plan

$50 for unlimited Province-wide minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8GB of data at 3G speed

$50 for unlimited Canada-wide/U.S. minutes + 8GB data

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide and U.S. minutes

The new plans are already on self serve?  What could Public Mobile be up to?  I don't think anyone is liking these new plans. 

As long as you are connected to the Telus network you should be able to receive incoming calls.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

But Nezgar's point about voicemail is interesting. If your forwarding is set to the automatically provided one then you wouldn't be able to get voicemail outside your "home" province unless you changed the access number.

Right now for example, I'm using YouMail, so my conditional forwards are set to a Montreal number, even though I'm in Sask. Wonder how that would be affected on a province-wide plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

But Nezgar's point about voicemail is interesting. If your forwarding is set to the automatically provided one then you wouldn't be able to get voicemail outside your "home" province unless you changed the access number. Callers call in...it forwards...I can't get there from here...fail. And then to call to listen to the voicemail of course.

@mimmo wrote:

@Nezgar  from what i remember PM always had that rule,   ie incoming calls used LD minutes, but the reality was different ie you could.

We will have to see what happens in reality (existing provincial plans and new ones). maybe PM finally fixed one of their longstanding bugs.

Ahhhh I get you now! Yes - official vs reality & "quirks" with PM are standard fare. Indeed we'll see. 😁

@Nezgar wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

As long as you stay in Canada and you have talking mins available, incoming calls will come through even if you're outside of your home province. 

(2) Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

Although, it will let you "call home" unlimited from anywhere else in Canada... That answers my voicemail question...

I don't think that's true unless something new has come along. It is up to the caller to have sufficient plan or LD mins to call others. Incoming calls anywhere in Canada as far as i know is free without LD add-on. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nezgar  from what i remember PM always had that rule,   ie incoming calls used LD minutes, but the reality was different ie you could.

We will have to see what happens in reality (existing provincial plans and new ones). maybe PM finally fixed one of their longstanding bugs.

@NDesai wrote:

@Nezgar  wrote:

Also interesting that old long distance infographic you dug up doesn't describe incoming calls. (As described in the self-serve footnotes, all incoming calls while you are outside home province would either fail, or use add-on minutes if available)

@NDesaiThis could be an interesting decision for people who primarily use their phone in a province other than where their phone number is based.

Also interesting that old long distance infographic you dug up doesn't describe incoming calls. (As described in the self-serve footnotes, all incoming calls while you are outside home province would either fail, or use add-on minutes if available)

Hopefully those "failed" calls would at least go to voicemail... But then would you be able to dial your voicemail? Maybe one would have to look up a local access number from my list...

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Majority of existing users have the Free 1000 CAN LD mins add-on PM gave it for free. So if you need to change your plan for whatever reason, you should be fine. 

Expect more inquiries from new users on how province-wide calling works. Familiarize yourself with the chart below. 

Spoiler
NDesai_0-1613457819540.png

@gpixel wrote:

wow, the $50 plan is going to be downgraded heavily.

the Canada wide plans will be deleted soon.

I think it was a good approach, instead of the $5 increase to all plans

If the OP of other thread was right about Provincial calling may be the sales rep was right about paying $5 more for Canada Wide calling

$5 more for national calling plan? - Community (publicmobile.ca)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, @JK8  is right, can't refer anyone when it not good deal anymore.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LurganIeUk   existing plans have typically been grandfathered.   we will need to wait for the official announcement to know 100% .

JK8
Mayor / Maire

Once they remove the Canada Wide Calling plans......I’m not impressed or excited with the Provincial Plans. I will stay locked in with my grandfathered plan and there is no reason to change plans in the future. I can’t recommend Public Mobile to anyone. There is nothing positive with this change. What the heck Telus!!! 

It would have been better to keep the Canada Wide Calling plans at the current price and have Provincial Plans at a reduced price.

@Anonymous I don't think new customers will be deterred. the higher tiers will have more expensive plans after the promo's end. this was a very good solution! 

this is basically what the plan changes will look like

Koodo

• $50/2gb
  • $55/4gb
  • $60/6gb
  • $65/8gb

PM's plans currently

• $33/2.5gb
  • $38/5gb
  • $43/6.5gb
  • $48/8.5gb

$17 is very good 

*just wanted to let you all know that when you purchase a post paid promo plan, you aren't locked into that price. the telecoms will give you that price for 1 year and then they will raise the plan by $5 every year. it's sneaky, but this is what they do. so don't be fooled with all the data promo's and cheap prices.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

So these are the new plans for any one new as of the 16th and any one wanting to change plans. Are the existing plans grand fathered??

We'll have to watch throughout the day if most or all of the canada-wide plans become no longer available to choose in self-serve, and when they will show up on the main website outside of self-serve. I presume these would be the same choices presented during an activation if someone wants to try that and bail out before completing. 😁

It appears existing plans will be grandfathered.

Need Help? Let's chat.