cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Activation Data not working

adminpfc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated a new sim and number today.  i have a plan with unlimited talk & text plus 500 mb data.  I can call and text now but I can not get online, only get an error message saying can't connect to internet.  I have followed all the self serve instructions to configure the APN by downloading the APN profile.  I have an iPhone 7 running iOs 12.  I have gone through every step I can find in the forum and still no go.  Worse, when I check my usage it shows I have used 14 mb of data.  It appears to tick up by 2 mb every time i try to get online.  I have sent a PM and I am trying to wait patiently for a response but I am discouraged and wondering if this was a mistake, I'm glad I havn't ported my number yet.  

Is there anything I can do other than wait?

9 REPLIES 9

abbyollie123

Glad to hear you got it figured out! I am still waiting to hear from the mods, but hopefully I'll be able to find a solution soon too!

adminpfc

Thanks for the link to that page for the monitoring app. I downloaded that and when I could see it was working I went digging elsewhere and discovered that “use cellular data” was turned off for safari and other apps I was trying to use to check connectivity. So I’m up and running now. Hope you’re getting a solution too. 

adminpfc

Is this the same problem you are having adminpfc?

Anyone have any idea for other tips on how to fix this? I did PM the mods too but I am hoping someone here may be able to help!

I will have to check those up settings. This kinda like the same problem I’m having. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@adminpfc wrote:

I just activated a new sim and number today.  i have a plan with unlimited talk & text plus 500 mb data.  I can call and text now but I can not get online, only get an error message saying can't connect to internet.  I have followed all the self serve instructions to configure the APN by downloading the APN profile.  I have an iPhone 7 running iOs 12.  I have gone through every step I can find in the forum and still no go.  Worse, when I check my usage it shows I have used 14 mb of data.  It appears to tick up by 2 mb every time i try to get online.  I have sent a PM and I am trying to wait patiently for a response but I am discouraged and wondering if this was a mistake, I'm glad I havn't ported my number yet.  

@adminpfc I have the same problem before. The moderator told me to close the apps running when using data. Here are the changes to be made:

It is important to bring to your attention that the information displayed in the usage section, comes directly from our towers. If there is usage registered, it means that at some point the phone did connect to our network for data.

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone.

abbyollie123

I've been having the same issue since activating my plan yesterday too. Talk and text work great, as does wifi, but I am unable to get data. I have tried every suggestion found in other forums here, but nothing has worked including downloading the APN profile from unlockit, resetting the network settings, updating the APN under cellular data network (which I am unable to do manually on this phone), and others. My phone is an iPhone SE on iOS 12...

I did find a tip in this post that helped: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/td-p/323118 Completing the APN and IP address check helped me find out that my phone currently does not have an APN or IP address (both fields were blank). This did not change when I ran the check a second time after downloading the APN profile from unlockit. Is this the same problem you are having adminpfc?

Anyone have any idea for other tips on how to fix this? I did PM the mods too but I am hoping someone here may be able to help!

adminpfc

Tried that. I have spent hours reading these forums and trying things. No luck. 

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you try resetting your IOS netork settings?

That does the job for me every time....

adminpfc

thank you, that is good to know. I was worried that I was burning through a lot of data for no real benefit.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adminpfc wrote:

Here is THE reference for all things iOS.

The little bit of data should pare down to a real count overnight or if you flip the phone in/out of airplane mode. It's a little buffer it grabs upon turning on.

Need Help? Let's chat.