cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an intermediate plan

Azopp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi everybody!

I decided to migrate to PM now, but can't find a proper plan for my needs. I need around 200 mins of voice every month, and no data is needed.

So, the $15 plan could be fine for me but only 100 minutes available here;

the next one, for $25, has unlimited calls etc, but contains plenty of data that I don't need at all, hence it costs more.

Any plan that costs around $20, just between the two mentioned above, could be perfect for me, but I have a feeling no chance for that to be added in near future.

Hence my question:

can I use the $15 plan together with $5 addon (500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes)? So that this addon would be automatically added - every month, or even when needed.

And BTW what happens when the minutes included are exhausted, will I be still technically able to make calls (for an extra fee)?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

Suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal.

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **The lesser value of the group

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on. The $15 add-on has INTERNATIONAL, USA and Canada  so, in a way, the $8 add-on is pointless to buy for USA only calls.

NOTE: Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881. From what I have found, there are extra charges to dial these area codes and a number of Telcos either don’t allow calls to them or add hefty surcharges. Public Mobile has elected to not allow calls to these area codes listed.

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used. The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

In certain conditions DATA can be very helpful and now the add on 1GB Data that does not expire until used up, has been permanently reduced to $15 (originally $30)

If you have the option to call 2 different numbers choose the 800 number, those 800 number calls do NOT deduct from your allotted outbound minutes.

Note 2: Rewards programs and freebies.

Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”.

Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes. And August 2020 some of us were offered 5GB if add on Data while others were offered 1GB of add on Data AND 1000 minutes of Canada wide calling. They treat us very well.

Note 3: Other ways to save money.

Use Wi-Fi  Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, iMessage or a phone APP.

Use Wi-Fi based APP for outbound calls “if” it will allow you to use your PM number as the caller ID. Google Hangouts apparently does. Cost is free.

Zoiper used with VoIP.ms works too over Wifi but does cost your “outbound” VoIP.ms price per minute. And you can set up the caller ID as either your VoIP or PM number.

Forward your home or business calls to you PM phone number.

Copyright 2020

P

Azopp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks a lot everyone!

I'm happy to see the $15 plan is fine for me! 🙂

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Azopp wrote:

hi everybody!

I decided to migrate to PM now, but can't find a proper plan for my needs. I need around 200 mins of voice every month, and no data is needed.

So, the $15 plan could be fine for me but only 100 minutes available here;

@Azopp  Good choice, note that the $15 plan includes unlimited incoming minutes so the 100 minutes are outgoing.

the next one, for $25, has unlimited calls etc, but contains plenty of data that I don't need at all, hence it costs more.

Any plan that costs around $20, just between the two mentioned above, could be perfect for me, but I have a feeling no chance for that to be added in near future.

Yes. if you start with the $15 plan ($13 with Auto-Pay enabled) and purchase 3 x 500 minute add-ons it will average to $16.25 plus tax per 30 days.

Hence my question:

can I use the $15 plan together with $5 addon (500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes)? So that this addon would be automatically added - every month, No.

or even when needed. Yes as needed. Add-ons when purchased stay on your account until all used up. There isn't an expiry date so in your case you can purchase 3 x 500 minute add-ons for a total $15 plus tax and you should be good for the entire year. (360 days or 12 plan renewals).

And BTW what happens when the minutes included are exhausted, will I be still technically able to make calls (for an extra fee)?

If and when you use up all your minutes you will still be able to receive incoming calls but you will have to purchase additional minute add-ons or renew your current plan early by contacting moderators to be able to make outgoing calls.

Also don't forget to use a referral code during activation so tat you can get the one-time $10 credit added to your account within 72 hours of activation. 

Thanks in advance.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Azopp  the only thing I will add is you can purchase multiple 500 minute addons. 

Buy say 3 at once that gives you 1500 minutes on top of your plan then you really don't need to worry .  I do something similar for my dad's plan buy bulk minutes then top up every so often.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Have you seen a community as responsive as this, @Azopp ? You have 5 replies in 3 hours and since the reply by @gpixel is nearly prefect, I don't need to spoil the broth. 

Kudos to community ❤️

Rapid.jpg

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

May I add 100 of "call be back" calls to landlines and unlimited text messages to cellphones if you are not using a smartphone. You can get much more out of that plan.

Even if you don't want to bother with any tricks that plan with a single $5 add-on will provide you with 200 minutes if outgoing calls for 5 months, that will make it $16/month which is still a winner

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Azopp 

It is unfair to say that it's only 100 minutes, it's much more.

1800 numbers are not counted against your 100 (for now (

It is virtually unlimited as you also have a bit of data

You have unlimited incoming with it, so you can call back. I use fongo to call myself (free as it's incoming) then transfer number to the destination. It will be only about 0.07M to make that connection and you have 250M included and not to mention the ability to use free WiFi

Also add-on that never expires with the rate of 1c/min for r those urgent moments is great backup.

Yup go for $13 plan, it is great

Welcome back

You'll be fine with the $15 plan. If you add auto-pay then the plan is actually $13 plus province tax. Adding auto-pay does also give you 250MB of data.

You can buy a $5 add-on for 500 Canada wide minutes. These minute's will stay on your account until all used up. They stay and do not have to be renewed each 30 days.

Keep in mind incoming calls are unlimited and included in your plan. And to answer your question the answer is yes. When you exhaust your 100 outgoing minutes than if you do not have an add-on you simply can't call out. Incoming will work as well as text until an add-on is purchased or your 30 day plan renews.

Remember it's two steps to buy an add-on. 1 add money to your account 2 buy the add-on. It will then display in your account under the My data and add-on section.

Remember to use a referral code for a $10 sign-up bonus applied to your account within 72 hours of activating.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Azopp any unused min from the $5 addon will keep rolling over, each renewal, till it's all used up. 

the add-on does not renew automatically every 30 days

if the min on your plan is exhausted you would need to purchase an add-on.

*PMs system works like a credit system. so purchasing an add-on requires 2 steps

• add funds(available funds)
  • apply add-on

or 

• apply the addon twice
Need Help? Let's chat.