cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My plan is 3G but myphone says LTE

DerekSonnichsen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As the title suggests, sometimes my phone says "LTE" but my plan only provides 3G. Whats up with that?

9 REPLIES 9

dmbcanada
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ahhh....sucess just added Data and had the same question as my Samsung Galaxy J3 says LTE.   Love these forums!  Smiley Very Happy

SunnyK

It does the same for me as well.

It must be that you are connected to a LTE network, but don't worry, it's capped by PM to be only 3mbps.

Latency is the delay between in transfer of data between your phone and the cellular network.

Sonja95

THIs just happened to me after I restarted my phone. Before then it showed 3G anytime I used my data. I wonder why. Also what is latency?

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lochness88 wrote:

I have the 3G plan too. I’ve done it in the setting of my phone to change it so it doesn’t connect to LTE just in case it charges me. Depending on what phone you have depends on where that setting is in the iPhones it’s under settings and cellular. 

PM's "3G" is actually still "LTE" - it's just throttled to be a similar speed as actual 3G - yes, very confusing, they should've named it "LTE Lite" or something instead. Although there's nothing wrong with forcing your phone to actual 3G leaving it on LTE is fine and generally has a few benefits such as lower latency and more efficient use of battery (all things being equal).

In any event, my point is you won't get charged any differently. 🙂

GreatCanadian

You won't get charged for anything that you haven't paid for in advance with Public Mobile  PM data is actually provided over the LTE network, throttled to 3g speeds. 

GC 

Lochness88

I have the 3G plan too. I’ve done it in the setting of my phone to change it so it doesn’t connect to LTE just in case it charges me. Depending on what phone you have depends on where that setting is in the iPhones it’s under settings and cellular. 

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is normal. I have 3G plan shows LTE too. They just throttle the speed in the background. No need to worry. You’re not being charged any differently. 

GreatCanadian

In addition to what @srlawren said, 3g speeds on LTE have less latency than true 3g networks.  Super performance. If you are not downloading or uploading files, and just using it for browsing, email, and even streaming video (perhaps not 4k) 3g over LTE is great! 

GC 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DerekSonnichsen 100% normal.  The "3G" speed data is still delivered over LTE, but is artificially throttled/capped to 3Mbps.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.